Last Seinfeld Episode Really Sucked

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Last Seinfeld Episode Really Sucked

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 30th, 2020, 12:57 pm

So I've been working through my Seinfeld DVDs and last night I got to the very end. I wasn't going to watch the final episode because I remembered how bad it was, but decided to give it a go. Oy.

This episode was FAR WORSE than I even remembered. I still can't get over how an "A" series could produce such an "F-" finale. My wife and I couldn't even watch it. We had to turn it off about half way.

It didn't feel like this episode was filmed in the same style of the shows. It had more of a "movie" look to it, which was very off putting. Also, the laugh track sound very fake and tacked on.

And then there was the writing. I don't think this there was ONE FUNNY LINE. The actors seem to be sleepwalking through the episode, just waiting to get their last big paycheck.

Worse of all, there was one part of the show where they were acting mean-spirited (making fun of fat guy being robbed). This was obviously done to support the bizarre premise that they belonged in jail but it was totally out of character from the previous 179 episodes.

The premise is insulting really, considering most of us see bit and pieces of ourselves in those characters. I know a lot of people have said I remind them of Jerry. I certainly dressed like him in the 90's. We loved these characters and saying they were bad just doesn't hold water.

Thoughts?

pacman000

Re: Last Seinfeld Episode Really Sucked

Postby pacman000 » November 30th, 2020, 1:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It didn't feel like this episode was filmed in the same style of the shows. It had more of a "movie" look to it, which was very off putting. Also, the laugh track sound very fake and tacked on.
Thoughts?
Wasn't Signfeld usually shot in front of an audience, using a 3-camera setup? If it looks like a movie, they might've shot it without the audience, then tried to add-in pre-recorded laughter. That almost always sounds fake.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 30th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Watch Curb Your Enthusiasm season 7 for the real finale.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 30th, 2020, 5:34 pm

I remember being really excited about the finale and got a fresh video tape to record it. It was so unfunny and disappointing even my ex-wife, now at least said this is just stupid. You said it seemed like a movie. I can't remember if they used film or video tape you film it. Last time I saw it is when it premiered.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » November 30th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Yea, it was almost shocking how bad it was. I liked how how they had all the characters come back, but the way they did it was horrible.

And I agree, it made the main characters appear very mean spirited, which didn’t fit with them at all. I can’t exactly remember, but weren’t they laughing at someone getting robbed?

Very bizarre ending to such a wonderful show (arguably one of the best sitcoms of all time)

Voor

Postby Voor » November 30th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Yeah, it was so “un-episode like” that even if the material was funny, I don’t think it would have been a comforting finale.

Just finished up Schitt’s Creek. Really liked it, and finale was good.

I watched three episodes of Curb and it just felt like I had been exposed to that style of humor so much via Seinfeld that I had no desire to watch anymore, though I know it is a beloved show.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 30th, 2020, 6:33 pm

I am a huge Seinfeld fan but I have to say, the finale was a disaster and felt totally out of place compared to the episodes that came before it. That being said, the finale does not in anyway, IMHO, take away from the fact that Seinfeld is easily the greatest sitcom of all time. Hell 20+ years later I am still cracking up even though I have watched many of these episodes dozens of times. Each time I watch Mr. Bookman lay the smack down on Jerry I am in tears.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 30th, 2020, 7:38 pm

Wasn't the point of Seinfeld that they're all fairly horrible people, especially Jerry and George?

That was always what put me off about the show, frankly: despite some funny moments, it's basically about four utterly self-oriented people whose friendship is largely based around the fact that, when they hang out together, they can stop pretending to care about anyone but themselves.

Oddly I don't get that vibe from Larry David's work on Curb Your Enthusiasm. I always thought LD was holding himself up for utter mockery, which makes that show work for me -- whereas Seinfeld's ego required that his character always be treated with a certain respect. Jerry could do stupid or cowardly things, but he himself was always painted as a fundamentally attractive, successful person, rather than an utter loser.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 30th, 2020, 7:42 pm

I don’t remember the final Seinfeld episode being that bad but when it comes to U.S. sitcoms the only real great series finale was Community. And if you disagree that’s fine you’ll just make me cry so it’s just better to reply “Yeah sure whatever”.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » November 30th, 2020, 7:43 pm

goldenband wrote:Wasn't the point of Seinfeld that they're all fairly horrible people, especially Jerry and George?

That was always what put me off about the show, frankly: despite some funny moments, it's basically about four utterly self-oriented people whose friendship is largely based around the fact that, when they hang out together, they can stop pretending to care about anyone but themselves.

Oddly I don't get that vibe from Larry David's work on Curb Your Enthusiasm. I always thought LD was holding himself up for utter mockery, which makes that show work for me -- whereas Seinfeld's ego required that his character always be treated with a certain respect. Jerry could do stupid or cowardly things, but he himself was always painted as a fundamentally attractive, successful person, rather than an utter loser.

The show was about the 4 characters being somewhat self centered, but never close to the way they were portrayed on the finale.

As far as Seinfeld's character, I don't think he was treated with respect, I think he was cast as the straight man. He was the least funny of the four. He wasnt the draw of the show and I dont think he was supposed to be.

Return to “Other Media”