Hidden Gem Albums

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Hidden Gem Albums

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 3rd, 2021, 3:45 pm

In the late 90's my wife gave me the CD Sneaker Pimps "Becoming X" for Christmas and it was kind of out of left field. I thought it was fine but didn't fully appreciate it at the time. Over the years however it's become one of my favorites. It's got this low-key Trip-hop vibe with cool beats and sexy female singer Kelli Ali. I think a lot of people now consider it a classic.

I associate it with the cold and snow, since that's when I first heard it I guess, and it has a stark desolate quality that goes with winter. For the last month I've been listening to it over and over again in my car, partly because it takes me back to the 90s. Anyway if you're looking for some new old music check it out.

lynchie137

Re: Hidden Gem Albums

Postby lynchie137 » January 4th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Ted Nugent's Free For All album. Say what you will about his political stance or personal beliefs, you have to admit that he could play a mean guitar and write a catchy song in his prime. And on this album he was in particularly good form in both departments. I honestly don't think there's a bad song on it. Not a single one! And as an added bonus, Meatloaf himself appears on five of the nine tracks, giving the album a darker and heavier vibe in more ways than one. He sounds especially thunderous on the song "Writing on the Wall", one of my favorite tracks alongside such tracks like "Turn it up| and "Light my Way", which were sung by Derek St. Holmes, one of the most talented yet underrated singers of the day. Sadly, this beauty of a record tends to get overlooked, and I think it's because the Cat Scratch Fever album came out a year or so later, which contains one of the most classic and iconic classic rock songs of all time in the title track. Just ask the average person on the street to name one Ted Nugent song, and I bet that 9 out of 10 people will name that song. While the other will probably go with "Stranglehold" off his self titled debut album, which was a pretty big song in it's own right. But it's another reason why Free For All gets overlooked. Even though imho it's a better overall album than his debut and Cat Scratch Fever. Just give it a listen if you haven't already done so yet. I am willing to bet that you will be very pleasantly surprised.

jon

Postby jon » January 5th, 2021, 1:45 pm

I love listening to music that reminds me of the 90’s. I’m going to go really fruity way further than I ever thought I’d be. I was on Apple Music and going through soft rock playlists and somewhat surprisingly “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia was there. So Yes I’ll admit I listened to her first album Left of the Middle from around 1997. There’s mostly a bunch of winners. And she was really hot back then at 21 years old.

Back to some semblance of normalcy I’ll go with Hollyweird by Poison in 2002. It’s a really different album from them. Another really unknown album is Samantha 7’s self titled album, their only album from 2000. It was C.C. Deville from Poison’s band. He actually was the lead singer in addition to writing all the songs.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 8th, 2021, 8:44 pm

Johnny Winter's "John Dawson Winter III" album. I honestly never even heard of this one until I happened to find it in the used section of my local record store. And boy, am I glad I decided to purchase it that day just a month or so ago. It's a really strong set of songs, and now that I'm the proud owner of it, I have to wonder why this LP dosen't get talked about as much as some of the others he recorded. Albums like Second Winter, Johnny Winter And... or Saints and Sinners, for instance....

Den

Postby Den » January 9th, 2021, 11:07 am

Fountains of Wayne's "Welcome Interstate Managers." They're known for "Stacy's Mom" but the entire album is incredible -- power pop at its best.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » January 9th, 2021, 2:23 pm

If you're close to me, you would know that I tend to reminisce on the decades of past, including the early 2000's when I lived my childhood. This path led me to the album "Change" by The Dismemberment Plan, which is worth checking out if you're into indie rock from that time frame. I was made aware of it when I was looking for [original] Xbox games after I finally got my own console on my 21st birthday back in 2015, and I stumbled upon it in "Xbox Exhibition Demo Disc, Vol. 1". That disc lets you download the songs "Superpowers" and "Time Bomb" directly to the console's hard drive for playback in games that support custom soundtracks, and it even includes the music video for the latter. That song alone - third to last on the album - justified me getting it on vinyl from Amazon two years ago. It is the undisputed highlight of the whole album, and is now one of my new favorite songs of the early 2000's if not of all time.

I may add more examples as this thread goes on.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » January 12th, 2021, 3:22 pm

Den wrote:Fountains of Wayne's "Welcome Interstate Managers." They're known for "Stacy's Mom" but the entire album is incredible -- power pop at its best.

I liked their debut album from 1996. A few songs got radio/MTV play. It was weird when they were nominated for the "best new artist" Grammy in 2003 when they'd already been around for years.

Return to “Other Media”