Old Superman Cartoons (1940s)

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
pacman000

Re: Old Superman Cartoons (1940s)

Postby pacman000 » February 4th, 2021, 11:04 pm

Eh, there were cartoons & shorts & movies criticizing the Nazis too.

The internment camps are an important distinction, but critiquing history is beyond the scope of a video game forum with a sub forum for other media.

Most of these shorts are just action sequences, with the bare minimum plot needed to set up a spectacular set piece. I wouldn’t think too deeply about them; they have about as much plot as a Mighty Mouse short.

Beautiful animation tho.

newmodelarmy

Re: Old Superman Cartoons (1940s)

Postby newmodelarmy » February 5th, 2021, 5:35 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
newmodelarmy wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:I recently caught some of the 17 episodes of the old 1940's Superman cartoons thanks to Youtube. Some episodes are still cool to watch such as "Volcano", "Mad Scientist", "Arctic Giant", "The Bulleteers" and "Mechanical Monsters". The one called "Electric Earthquake" though good, made me feel a little uncomfortable as the villain is a mad scientist who turns out to be a Native American, and what's worse is he gets little sympathy. But that's nothing compared to two of the bunch I wouldn't touch with a 10 meter pole, "Japoteurs" and "Eleventh Hour" as these two villify the Japanese, which I can't stand as I respect those folks big time. Cool and still well animated, but a product of their time.

Why in the world would you vilify the Japanese in the 1940's? Oh wait, their imperial ambitions led to the death of 20 million people as they slaughtered, raped and pillage many parts of Asia (China, Korea, Philippines, etc.).

Then, in the spirit of fairness, they should have demonized white men for all the genocides they'd been up to.

And, perhaps, locked German Americans up in the internment camps too. Also, the Italian Americans.

Perhaps, but you are missing the point. I am just simply stating that they vilified the Japanese because it was the 1940's.That does not excuse all the evil things that all types of people have done throughout history. Stay on topic.

Return to “Other Media”