Queen's Gambit (Netflix)

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Queen's Gambit (Netflix)

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2021, 11:50 pm

My wife and I are hooked on this series. It's got a gaming slant, being about a woman prodigy at chess in the 1960's. Any chess players out there? Always liked the game but was never that good.

Voor

Re: Queen's Gambit (Netflix)

Postby Voor » February 14th, 2021, 2:42 pm

I like chess too and play casually, though I’m not that great. I think it’s amazing that whole books have been written just on a strategy, opening, defense, etc.

I liked the series OK, and appreciated the “lesson” Beth learns at the end. My favorite character is the old Russian with the crazy hair towards the end.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 15th, 2021, 6:30 am

I've been a chess player all my life, I win some I lose some. I even was part of a chess club in high school! Maybe I'll catch this show sometime....

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 17th, 2021, 2:33 pm

I watched a bit of it by myself. Normally it is great being single but it is a real pain in the middle of a lockdown during a pandemic. When I found there were no zombies in it. I stopped watching it. I liked the idea of Star Chess on the Channel F but the critic hated it.
Oh well back to zombie nation.

Darrin

Postby Darrin » February 17th, 2021, 7:24 pm

I have never seen the Queen's Gambit. However, I always thought Othello should have garnered more interest in this country (it is big in Japan, from what I understand). It's got the simplicity of Checkers but the strategy of Chess. I love how playing "loud" with bellicose boldness can make you lose the game, and how playing with patience and "quietness" can literally "flip the board" at the very end. There is a certain lesson inherent in that! Sadly, I don't think there will be any TV shows about Othello anytime soon! Although people use the terms "Othello" and "Reversi" interchangeably, apparently there are subtle differences in rules.

Return to “Other Media”