Missing no technology

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Re: Missing no technology

Postby jon » December 23rd, 2021, 4:24 pm

With all the things we’d be “missing out” on in the 90’s even early on there still would be video games and other entertainment options. It’s not like there’s been a revolution in nighttime entertainment options for people.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 24th, 2021, 2:27 am

in the 80s we had BBS's and DDial chats and that was good enough ;)

jon

Postby jon » February 13th, 2022, 1:39 pm

I just got the ESPN 1996 MLB season preview magazine and the 1996-1997 NHL preview. I had them back in the day. They're fantastic. They talk about the upcoming 1996 season and it's just great reading that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2022, 3:51 pm

I've been watching Friends and it occurred to me how dull it would be if the show took place in the current day, with every one having cell phones. It would just be a group of people sitting around staring at their phones.

In the show they have to buy stuff at stores. They take phone messages. They read books and magazines. It's kind of fascinating.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 13th, 2022, 4:45 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I've been watching Friends and it occurred to me how dull it would be if the show took place in the current day, with every one having cell phones. It would just be a group of people sitting around staring at their phones.

In the show they have to buy stuff at stores. They take phone messages. They read books and magazines. It's kind of fascinating.

Eh not really. Modern sitcoms are still being made and they don’t have people just sitting around staring at phones.

Just like Friends and sitcoms from that era didn’t have scenes involving people using the bathroom or cooking a boring meal or getting dressed.

Critic is starting to sound like a cranky old man. Lol

jon

Postby jon » February 14th, 2022, 2:06 pm

In the old days there was Peter Gammons and Keith Olbermann who contributed heavily to the "96 ESPN MLB preview issue. Back then the quality of journalism in magazines was outstanding compared to now. Now if someone comes from a rich family they could make it in journalism.

Also, I think online dating has made things tougher for the average guy. Back in the day, there was no online dating. So even some hot girls didn't have the ability to really meet that many people in general really.

jon

Postby jon » September 7th, 2022, 2:58 pm

I’m not sure where to put this, but I often think about how rock music is not popular. It made me think about the Korn Kids and all those fans. Even in around 1999 rock was had a big presence. I wonder what the equivalent these days is to Korn Kids. Maybe they’re all into rap. I mean Korn did have that aspect.

I was just reminiscing, ok, maybe stalking old “friends” on Facebook. And it made me realize How much I hate online dating. My last couple years of high school And when I was living in this hippie commune when I was 20 I somehow had a few chances with girls (at least in my deluded mind though I got a phone number or two) that I would’ve never gotten if online dating existed. Of course me, mr. social, basically chickened out with most of them. I remember one example is my friend Ryan sophomore year was dating this girl Jill and I had the biggest crush on her twin sister Jen. This was late 90’s and then the summer Ryan was away in Rhode Island and Jen started chatting me up. She came up to me the first day of Junior year but I blew it.

Return to “Other Media”