Missing no technology

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Re: Missing no technology

Postby jon » March 8th, 2021, 10:19 am

If I could pick a year which I'd like technology the most it would be around 1996. I miss the time before pictures were so widely available and people started spending a lot of time on the internet. I could do without the internet whatsoever basically except for maybe the early primitive days around 1996-1998 or so. I remember when Facebook started in 2001 or so I had a college friend who was using it. That was really the beginning of the end once the 90's ended. I don't understand why people think technology in the mid 90's wasn't good enough.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 8th, 2021, 3:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So where are you supposed to get your news? Try your local news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6LD8ExNly0

Sinclair's been buying them up, and mandating that they preach the family's political views instead of local news. It doesn't take much effort to find out who they want you to be skeptical of, and who they try to protect from criticism at all costs.

They're not the only ones pulling this stunt, either.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

Sites like this help. They list which sources try to avoid bias, and which ones have a bias that doesn't get in the way of accuracy - a right or left perspective, by itself, isn't a problem, and you can miss a lot of good journalism if you don't seek out the best of both.

They also warn you of who to avoid: their list of the least trustworthy are filled with names that feign skepticism or try to steal the names of more reputable sources.

jon

Postby jon » May 19th, 2021, 10:12 am

I’m starting to get really nostalgic for like the 1998-1999 time period. I used to go to friends houses in 1999 and they’d be working on a vintage car like a ‘91 Camaro. I miss people being into cars like they used to be. Around 1999 was a great mix. The internet was there but no social media garbage.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2021, 4:02 pm

The other night I was watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer which was originally broadcast in the late 90s. They were talking about this new "internet" thing and I found the quote to be a remarkable prediction of the future.

Ms. Calendar: This isn't a fad, Rupert! We are creating a new society
here.

Giles: A society in which human interaction is all but obsolete? In
which people can be completely manipulated by technology, well, well...
Thank you, I'll pass.

https://buffy.fandom.com/wiki/I_Robot,_You_Jane/Script

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 19th, 2021, 6:45 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The other night I was watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer which was originally broadcast in the late 90s. They were talking about this new "internet" thing and I found the quote to be a remarkable prediction of the future.

Ms. Calendar: This isn't a fad, Rupert! We are creating a new society
here.

Giles: A society in which human interaction is all but obsolete? In
which people can be completely manipulated by technology, well, well...
Thank you, I'll pass.

https://buffy.fandom.com/wiki/I_Robot,_You_Jane/Script

Wow! Spot on I would say!

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » May 20th, 2021, 3:13 am

Don't we love complaining about technology using the technology we're complaining about?

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 20th, 2021, 6:04 am

Robotrek wrote:Don't we love complaining about technology using the technology we're complaining about?

haha! That thought crossed my mind. However, I would say that this is a rather benign way to use "this" technology.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 20th, 2021, 9:58 pm

The internet is like paying taxes or having to work 40 hours a week. It sucks but you can't escape it.
I would argue however that this site represents the internet at its best: Informative, fun-focused, and non-inflammatory!
The fact that it's not wildly popular may be a good sign!

jon

Postby jon » December 18th, 2021, 7:59 am

I’ve been reminiscing about the days in the late 90’s whenn it was all about interacting with people through AOL. Remember the profiles everyone had. It was really fun.

My friend Ryan was dating this girl Jill who had an identical twin sister Jen. Well one summer Jen IM’d me on AOL and we started flirting. I found a way to flub it up, but I miss those days.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 18th, 2021, 8:56 am

If you want to reminisce about the 90's, I recommend watching Friends. I got the Blu Ray box set for about $55 from Target, which contains like 240 episodes or something crazy like that.

Anyway it's a lot more fun watching people get into shenanigans without using smartphones for everything. They are always just hanging out at the coffee shop or apartment, saying hilarious things and having a blast.

Return to “Other Media”