Missing no technology

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 719
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 3rd, 2021, 9:28 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:All you need to do is look to "cancel culture" to see the negative impact.


Or Q-anon. Or anti-vaccine conspiracy theories. Or the death threats sent to everyone, regardless of their politics.

Or, for that matter, the many folks currently screaming about Mr. Potato Head being canceled, because they don't understand why the Potato Head brand covers both Mr. and Mrs, as well as any unmarried baked potatoes I'm not familiar with.

So yes, the fear of cancel culture is being exploited by those who hope you don't do your own research.

This is probably why political debates aren't allowed here.

It almost always leads to real problems being used as weapons for one side to demonize another. And what does the mess that follows actually solve?

newmodelarmy
Posts: 299
Joined: January 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby newmodelarmy » March 4th, 2021, 2:39 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
newmodelarmy wrote:All you need to do is look to "cancel culture" to see the negative impact.


Or Q-anon. Or anti-vaccine conspiracy theories. Or the death threats sent to everyone, regardless of their politics.

Or, for that matter, the many folks currently screaming about Mr. Potato Head being canceled, because they don't understand why the Potato Head brand covers both Mr. and Mrs, as well as any unmarried baked potatoes I'm not familiar with.

So yes, the fear of cancel culture is being exploited by those who hope you don't do your own research.

This is probably why political debates aren't allowed here.

It almost always leads to real problems being used as weapons for one side to demonize another. And what does the mess that follows actually solve?


Thanks for proving my point. Mr. Potato, Hasbro? Really? Idiotic is an understatement. As for politics not being debated here, I personally think it is a great idea. I come here to escape and chat about Video Games and generally speaking enjoy it. Honestly, politics should not be discussed anywhere on the internet-besides being incredibly divisive, most people (left & right) or so painfully uninformed and predictable it is downright impossible to have any civil discourse related to the matter.

Voor
Posts: 1180
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby Voor » March 4th, 2021, 5:58 am

It’s interesting to me how many people are so charged up about political and social debates (whichever side you’re on). Old men have been arguing over politics for literally thousands of years and will continue along after I’m gone. Every election or law is painted as life or death. I find it incredibly boring—and there are certainly more entertaining and productive ways to spend your free time.

Cancel culture and all that stuff? That’s just people fighting for the spotlight on the internet. I don’t bother with it one way or the other. I did think this SNL clip was funny:

https://youtu.be/Yz6j8OEudZg

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 14950
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 4th, 2021, 4:20 pm

I think there are very few Americans that subscribe to these extreme viewpoints. The problem is, they are the loudest on the internet, so the media assumes that they represent the entire country.

Sorry, by 99% of us want nothing to do with all the wackos out there. We're trying trying to get by with our normal lives without harming anyone else. Heck, most people don't even post their opinions on social media at all.

jon
Posts: 786
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby jon » March 5th, 2021, 9:48 am

What I’ve noticed is that the kinds of people especially girls that would’ve been polite and shy over 20 years ago before social media now are outwardly self absorbed and arrogant. I think the % of shy wholesome girls had gone down by an extremely noticeable amount. It’s pretty rough out there.

As far as music I was thinking there’s like maybe 50 albums I’d ever need. Maybe a little more than 50 but that’s an amount even if it’s closer to 100 that I would’ve loved to buy at a music store. Buying from the internet isn’t the same. It’s like buying NES games online instead of from Toys R Us in that room.

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 719
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 5th, 2021, 10:13 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Thanks for proving my point. Mr. Potato, Hasbro? Really? Idiotic is an understatement.


My point was the it was those who say cancel culture is a real problem who also fear the Potato Head branding. They unironically insist the gender neutral term for all plastic potato people is Mr. Potato Head being canceled.

Earlier today, I was accused of attacking conservatives because I refused to take the "issue" seriously.

I don't care what your politics are. Anyone who passionately fights to keep kids from creating a Mrs. Potato Head out of the same plastic potato they made a Mr. Potato Head with? To the point where they're sending death threats to Hasbro?

During a time when people are dying from a pandemic half the country refuses to take seriously? And other people were without heat and electricity in the middle of winter?

Why is this even something that needs to be said? This is where the fear of cancel culture has brought us.

As for politics not being debated here, I personally think it is a great idea. I come here to escape and chat about Video Games and generally speaking enjoy it. Honestly, politics should not be discussed anywhere on the internet-besides being incredibly divisive, most people (left & right) or so painfully uninformed and predictable it is downright impossible to have any civil discourse related to the matter.


Quoted for truth.

At least here, I know that the only time politics will blind anyone is when they're ranting about early 3d games.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on March 5th, 2021, 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 719
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 5th, 2021, 10:15 am

jon wrote:What I’ve noticed is that the kinds of people especially girls that would’ve been polite and shy over 20 years ago before social media now are outwardly self absorbed and arrogant.


Every shy and polite person I know, avoids social media like the plague.

They stick to IM, with their friends and family, and people who share their interests.

Herschie
Posts: 840
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby Herschie » March 6th, 2021, 1:18 am

The late Gale Sayers shook with anger when he mentioned that he wished that medical technology was what it is today back in 1968 when he blew out his knee against the 49ers at Wrigley Field. He never was the same after that injury because the doctors didn't have the same tools they had today.

Me, I wish that we had better technology back in the 80s. How cool would it be to play the greatest season in Bears history in Madden '86? Re-live the Cubs first postseason appearance in almost 40 years playing MLB '84 The Show. See the game that Shigeru Miyamoto intended in the Legend of Zelda.

And I wish we had more photos of what life was like back then. Sure we have them now, but not as many as I'd like. They typically only include special events, whereas I wish I could see more what mundane every-day life was like back then. As it is I'm starting to feel nostalgic remembering the good times I had back in 2013. Imagine if we had those photos from way back when. Then again, God knows what embarrassing stuff my mom would have posted on Facebook.

Facebook...holy moly what a mess! I actually no longer use my real name on there because who knows what I posted on what page when I was drunk in 2015? Surely that ought to come back and completely ruin my life. I promise it wasn't anything that bad, but you never know these days.

I feel as if one should be read their Miranda Rights before posting anything on social media. Anything you say can and will be used against you.

It's really too bad because social media really could have been a great thing. Keeping in touch with long-lost friends. Getting news instantly. Connecting with others who share the same interests.

I quit posting about politics altogether, by the way. Only video games and dog photos from here. And every now and then I'll brag about what a great sales day I had. Sometimes it'll be tempting to comment on a political post but I always end up deleting before I send it because I figure it's never worth it. There isn't any reward whatsoever, so why risk anything? It's a shame because I see some absurd posts that I could easily pick apart. But you know...why?

Overall, I like today's technology, as nostalgic as I tend to be. Oooh yeah and working from home is great! I. Hate. Traffic!

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 14950
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 6th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Some people argue "it's always been this way" but they must be young.

In the 70s/80s/90s the national news was a half-hour show each night. It was just straight reporting with no opinions. It may have been boring but at least they just reported the facts. Same with newspapers and magazines. There were opinions and commentaries, but they were relegated to small, well-marked sections.

Then the cable news arrived and they needed to report news 24 hours whether anything was happening or not. So they filled in the time with these political pundits. Problem is, these draw big rating (and clicks on the internet). So now you can't trust any cable news, newspapers, web sites, or magazines because they all have political agendas and they are shameless.

So where are you supposed to get your news? Try your local news! Baltimore has four channels of local news (beginning at 10PM and 11PM) and I'm impressed how they present both local and national news straight to the point without inserting their unwanted opinions. I think these are the last bastions of civilized news!

newmodelarmy
Posts: 299
Joined: January 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Re: Missing no technology

Postby newmodelarmy » March 6th, 2021, 1:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Some people argue "it's always been this way" but they must be young.

In the 70s/80s/90s the national news was a half-hour show each night. It was just straight reporting with no opinions. It may have been boring but at least they just reported the facts. Same with newspapers and magazines. There were opinions and commentaries, but they were relegated to small, well-marked sections.

Then the cable news arrived and they needed to report news 24 hours whether anything was happening or not. So they filled in the time with these political pundits. Problem is, these draw big rating (and clicks on the internet). So now you can't trust any cable news, newspapers, web sites, or magazines because they all have political agendas and they are shameless.

So where are you supposed to get your news? Try your local news! Baltimore has four channels of local news (beginning at 10PM and 11PM) and I'm impressed how they present both local and national news straight to the point without inserting their unwanted opinions. I think these are the last bastions of civilized news!



100% correct. Funny thing is, when you watched the news in the 70's or 80's you had NO IDEA what political ideology the newscasters had. Now...they wear it on their sleeve.


Return to “Other Media”