Watching old football games

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
MSR1701

Re: Watching old football games

Postby MSR1701 » March 12th, 2021, 3:50 pm

RDReynolds wrote:
jon wrote:One thing from the 1984 games that sticks out like a sore thumb is how hard hitting the game was. There were no wimpy rules against hitting people a little late and driving players into the ground, even marquee QB’s. I don’t know if it’s the protection in the helmet and pads now but back then there were a lot of serious injuries. It seemed like there were so many more broken bones back then. And every so often there would be a career ending injury or serious injuries where the player would never be the same.

This may be why the NFL doesn't showcase this - it would shine a spotlight on just how tough it was on the athletes and the damage their bodies had throughout the rest of their lives in many cases. That leads to two things: one, more potential lawsuits and two, the fact that in many ways the game was a better viewing experience back then as we've noted.

Remember, this is the same NFL of today that more or less censored the Blitz remake a few years ago. They're very cognizant of what they are doing.

Between lawsuits n PR, can't blame them...
Still prefer NCAA football over NFL myself

icepeople

Postby icepeople » March 12th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Boxing...from classic era all the way up until Tyson in his prime. Things have been a farce since with all the so-called associations, champions, etc. - not to mention the bouts often look mostly like two guys slow dancing until one goes down from anything more than a glancing blow...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 12th, 2021, 4:26 pm

icepeople wrote:Boxing...from classic era all the way up until Tyson in his prime. Things have been a farce since with all the so-called associations, champions, etc. - not to mention the bouts often look mostly like two guys slow dancing until one goes down from anything more than a glancing blow...

Very good point. Boxing used to be one of the most popular sports - I remember watching Mohammad Ali on prime time TV! But you're right - it seemed to fall apart shortly after Tyson left the scene.

Tron

Postby Tron » March 13th, 2021, 6:58 am

I ONLY watch old sports now.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » March 13th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Interesting topic, great comments. One thing I really enjoy is listening to old radio broadcasts of NFL games from the 50s and 60s...you can find MP3s for free of entire game broadcasts (with all of the local commercials and news updates included). There are usually not complete film/video recordings of most of these "average" Sunday games...and the great thing about audio is that you can listen while you do something else at the same time!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 13th, 2021, 12:11 pm

DocHix wrote:Interesting topic, great comments. One thing I really enjoy is listening to old radio broadcasts of NFL games from the 50s and 60s...you can find MP3s for free of entire game broadcasts (with all of the local commercials and news updates included). There are usually not complete film/video recordings of most of these "average" Sunday games...and the great thing about audio is that you can listen while you do something else at the same time!

Any mp3s of old SEC NCAA Football game radio broadcasts?

DocHix

Postby DocHix » March 13th, 2021, 1:44 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
DocHix wrote:Interesting topic, great comments. One thing I really enjoy is listening to old radio broadcasts of NFL games from the 50s and 60s...you can find MP3s for free of entire game broadcasts (with all of the local commercials and news updates included). There are usually not complete film/video recordings of most of these "average" Sunday games...and the great thing about audio is that you can listen while you do something else at the same time!

Hello, MSR1701

I like to find them as free downloads...try this for some college and pro games...

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/s ... ball-games

...and if you have time to search a bit, try https://archive.org/ (lots of interesting gaming media, too.)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 13th, 2021, 2:18 pm

DocHix wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:

Hello, MSR1701

I like to find them as free downloads...try this for some college and pro games...

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/s ... ball-games

...and if you have time to search a bit, try https://archive.org/ (lots of interesting gaming media, too.)

Thanks!

jon

Postby jon » March 19th, 2021, 8:38 pm

I knew I would be nostalgic with commercials. I’ve watched from around 1983 through the 90’s these old games. The commercials from around 1984 are by far the best. They’re amazing. Also half time shows and game preview shows were so much more interesting.

I actually found commercials from a 1992 game annoying. I’m not feeling the 90’s commercials so far. Maybe it was just a game with bad commercials.

It is a little surprising that just about most games from all those seasons in the 80’s and 90’s are now on YouTube. These are full games up.

Of course they’ll leave out some of the best like the 1984 AFC Championship Game. That’s where my DVD collection comes through. Hundreds of games I had on DVD were barely available on YouTube until these last couple years. It’s crazy now.

Return to “Other Media”