Most memorable commercials to you

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Most memorable commercials to you

Postby Zack Burner » March 20th, 2021, 5:46 pm

The Donkey Kong Country commercial - the hype mentioned, the natural wildlife videos, plus gameplay footage, and "Not on Sega and not on PC"

Malox commercial with Hot Chili mama and the narrator saying "Life.....is.....gooooooood!!!"

The anti drug commercial with a kid and a wolf (named Davey and Glitch) both believe it or not voiced by Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Jim Cummings respectively (Simba and Darkwing Duck together)!

The anti drug commercial with Eric Idle narrating

The two anti-smoking commercials, one where a guy imagines his girl with a fish head, and the other a girl imagining her guy as a chimp.

All those popsicle commercials

The 2003 Gatorade commercial "What drives you?" with a rugby player, boxer, football player, female basketball player, triathlete, and female soccer player, plus nod to the one where Yao Ming, Derek Jeter, and the Colts (with Peyton Manning) all ask "Can Jimmy play?"

The Wendy's kid meal commercials with toys in 2003

The Lifesavers commercial in 1994 of peppomint and wintogreen in the snowfall with the choir Ladysmith Black Mambosa

The immortal "Where's the Beef?" (believe it or not the old lady appears in the cult B-movie The Stuff as well!)

pacman000

Re: Most memorable commercials to you

Postby pacman000 » March 20th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Ignoring bad commercials...

RadioShack’s last commercial, where the 80’s characters cleaned the place out, & the narrator told you about their plans for new stores. Too bad they didn’t have the resources to pull it off.

I’d like to buy the world a Coke...

Xerox’s “It’s a Miracle!”

Pokemon the 1st movie’s trailer, & an early commercial for the show, when it was syndicated.

Walmart’s Rollback commercials, particularly the one which used the song “Put on a Happy Face.”

Atari Corp’s “We buy chips; they buy chips,” ads.

Apple’s “I’m a Mac” commercials.

“Got Milk?”

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 21st, 2021, 7:18 am

pacman000 wrote:Ignoring bad commercials...

Pokemon the 1st movie’s trailer, & an early commercial for the show, when it was syndicated.

“Got Milk?”

Now that you mention Pokemon, I loved the 3rd movie's trailer (my favorite of the pokemon movies), and I loved those "Got Milk?" commercials too!

More anti-drug commercials to mention: A talking brain that says "did you know drugs are bad for your brain?" and this claymation one "did you know why drugs begins with D?"

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » March 22nd, 2021, 8:05 am

Anti-drug commercials will never get more memorable than "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?"

In sticking with this theme, the anti-smoking commercial where the kid yells at his Dad, "I learned it from you!" was also pretty memorable.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 22nd, 2021, 8:47 am

Luigi & Peach wrote:In sticking with this theme, the anti-smoking commercial where the kid yells at his Dad, "I learned it from you!" was also pretty memorable.

My wife and I quote this to each other all the time. Very memorable.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 22nd, 2021, 1:09 pm

If anyone's interested in the antidrug commercial with Eric Idle narrating here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnX9sZ_ecQI

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » March 22nd, 2021, 1:26 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Now that you mention Pokemon, I loved the 3rd movie's trailer (my favorite of the pokemon movies), and I loved those "Got Milk?" commercials too!
I don't remember the commercial well, but I do remember that the early trailers called it "Lord of the Unown Tower" instead of "Spell of the Unown." Also, I think some of the traditional animation in the trailer was replaced by CGI in the movie.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » March 23rd, 2021, 8:49 am

Back in the early 80’s there was maybe a Midas car repair commercial where the mechanic says in a nightmare type setting “That’ll be 22 THOUSAND dollars” and his assistant is behind him repeating “twenty-two two two two two two two”.

Even to this day if the number 22 comes up in conversation, one of my friends or I by federal law MUST repeat “twenty-two two two two two two two two”.

zetax

Postby zetax » March 23rd, 2021, 6:55 pm

Anyone old enough to remember the creepy Mr. Yuk poison awareness commercials? How about "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seeds bun?" Ronco gadgets? Ginsu knives? K-Tel records/8-tracks?

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 24th, 2021, 6:11 pm

The Progressive commercial with former NBA star Dikembe Mutumbo. It shows him running around an office swatting away an office worker's attempt to throw a piece of paper into a wastebasket. Then a little later he's at the supermarket rejecting a kid's attempt to throw a box of cereal into a shopping cart, making the box explode as a result. And after each block, he waves his finger at the person, smiles, then says either "No no no" or " Not today". He even takes a swat at the Progressive logo at the end. They used to show this commercial a few years back, then stopped airing it. But lately they've been airing it again on TV for some reason....

Return to “Other Media”