Death

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
icepeople

Re: Death

Postby icepeople » April 6th, 2021, 3:59 pm

At 53 I have some health conditions and live in a bit of a risky place (an Arctic island 700 miles from the North Pole) so I've felt any day might be my last if something gives out. And I mostly shrug and get on with life (living in polar regions has given me a crippled leg, partially disabled arm and knocked out all of my lower teeth...and I'd gladly trade them again for the experiences here vs. a safe city life). There are 7 billion people now and supposedly about 110 billion in all of human history, so I don't consider my presence All That. My only fears are a long and highly painful death (i.e. freezing to death with two broken legs in a crevasse) or dying of something like Alzheimer's.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 6th, 2021, 5:28 pm

What an interesting topic and well handled by the VGC community. I am turning 50 later this year and I think about my mortality from time to time. I don't dwell on it too much. Outside of taking pretty good care of myself, what else can you do? None of us get out of here alive anyway!

All in all I have had a really good run. Considering how I grew up (dirt poor in upstate NY), there weren't necessarily high expectations for kids like me. With that said I have done alright. I am fortunate to have a great wife, a wonderful daughter and a good career. I am a self made man that has done pretty well and I am really proud of that. I think I benefited greatly and fulfilled the American dream.

So what am I planning for my 50's? Well I am going to make it the best decade ever and do the things I really enjoy. Spend quality time with my family and friends, travel, stay in shape, read more, etc., etc. Of course, I will continue to try and be the best Husband and Father a man can be.

Anyway, I wish you all health and happiness. My advice is don't think about "death" too much, just enjoy today and the days ahead.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 6th, 2021, 10:16 pm

I will contribute later. It is an interesting debate.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 7th, 2021, 7:52 am

When I was three my grandfather died. When I was seven my father died. A few years later both grandparents on my father's side died. I grew up going to funerals. It's what we do. I never thought I'd live past 34. That's the age my father was when he died.

I don't fear death. However, I'd prefer to wait until my daughter is grown. I know what it's like to grow up without one. I'd prefer she not go through that. Last year I recorded a number of advice related videos for my daughter on Youtube in case I check out early. Sure, it's morbid but we don't have good luck for this type of stuff in my family.

As for me I too have had a great run. I married a great girl that can take care of herself and my daughter if anything happens to me. At 43 I'm healthy and we're doing great. Life is too short to worry about death, but you might as well plan for it. It's going to happen whether you're ready for it or not. Are your life insurance premiums paid up? Mine are, just in case. :)

Voor

Postby Voor » April 7th, 2021, 10:45 am

^^^thats a good point. I worry much more about the loss my kids would experience if I were to pass away, than I worry about myself. My wife is very smart and self sufficient, so I know she would be fine. And I think my kids would too, but I know there’s naturally some pain associate with grief, especially initially.

Any thoughts on cremation vs burial?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 7th, 2021, 12:04 pm

So I am 59. :geek:
Death it comes to us all. My pal had sudden death syndrome. Was walking down the street, keeled over and died in the road. He was 31. Stocky chap. His brother was walking down the street, keeled over and died. 26. SDS. My pal Mike (an American) has a fluctuating rhythm in his heart. I found this out yesterday. He is really scared. I said to him, another of my pals had that. They had to stop his heart and restart it. He changed jobs and now works for the police. In life, for your friends, you need to be positive so they hear good things. He is a great chap, married, I know his wife also. Has two children, One is a Marine. Much more life experience than me, but when it comes to the bad things in life I am stoical. So I can be positive for him. Tell him he has a good chance. Tell him he is a man and needs to take it on the chin. Sometimes you need to hear those words so you can get through the days .
When the big guy with the scythe comes for you, and your time is up, then it is up. Until that happens enjoy your life. Which is what I try to do.
Edited it. I was to verbose.
Last edited by BlasteroidAli on April 9th, 2021, 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Den

Postby Den » April 7th, 2021, 12:58 pm

I will tell you that, in my will, everything goes to my wife -- except my video-game collection, which goes to my brother. He would appreciate it.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 7th, 2021, 4:48 pm

icepeople wrote:At 53 I have some health conditions and live in a bit of a risky place (an Arctic island 700 miles from the North Pole) so I've felt any day might be my last if something gives out. And I mostly shrug and get on with life (living in polar regions has given me a crippled leg, partially disabled arm and knocked out all of my lower teeth...and I'd gladly trade them again for the experiences here vs. a safe city life). There are 7 billion people now and supposedly about 110 billion in all of human history, so I don't consider my presence All That. My only fears are a long and highly painful death (i.e. freezing to death with two broken legs in a crevasse) or dying of something like Alzheimer's.

Stay positive. It sounds like it is a most beautiful place to live. Where I live it is heavily built up with nowhere to walk to. Time to get a pack of huskies? I am sure that if you take precautions you will be okay. I have some survival books I can send you if you want. PM your email address and I will send you them. What to do if you become lost, emergency first aid etc.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » April 8th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Robotrek wrote:I do believe in an afterlife (I believe it to be a necessity under the governing laws of our universe) though I'm not sure to WHAT extent it is. I'm not sure WHERE we go, I'm just certain we have to go SOMEWHERE. I won't delve too much into that because of religious implications. But that helps me a lot to come to grips with mortality.

I think it's ok to wade into 'religious implications' for this thread, and in fact I'm not sure how it's avoidable given the topic. I'm very interested in this statement though, what do you mean by an afterlife being a 'necessity' under the governing laws of the universe? I'll be the first to admit I'm no physicist or astronomer, etc., but I'm unaware of any natural laws that have been discovered or are know that indicate anything about us survives our physical death.

For my part, I'm 51, I've had many people I love or care deeply for pass away over the span of my life, I've had classmates and co-workers my age (or younger) die suddenly, and I try to just be grateful that I've made it this far (too many have not). Like the critic said, I feel like I've had a good run and I'm at peace with the fact that one day I will be no more. I just hope it's not for a while yet and that I don't have a long, slow, miserable ending like too many other unfortunate sounds. Let me live happy and healthy to like 94 and die suddenly in my sleep, please.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 9th, 2021, 7:01 am

I can see that. Our ability to imagine things (like afterlife) is somewhat limited by our mind and own experiences. The afterlife does not HAVE to fit any sort of mold we have created based on our own reasoning.

Regarding heaven, I once said “as long as I can play volleyball from time to time, I’m cool”. Lol.

Return to “Other Media”