New MLB Rules?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Voor

Re: New MLB Rules?

Postby Voor » April 20th, 2021, 7:12 am

I heard a good point the other day, which I agree with to some extent.

The way starting pitchers often only go 5-6 innings and get pulled (even if they are doing well*) due to analytics, hurts the game in that throwing “complete” games was a good way for pitchers to gain name recognition. Now, instead of being one pitcher, you get thrown in with 4-5 other guys pitching in a single game.

*if you watched last years World Series, there was some controversy regarding this. Rays pitcher Snell was throwing out of his mind, yet they pulled him due to some mindset that the hitters do much better their 3rd time facing a pitcher. Could be argued either way, but they lost and lots of fans weren’t happy.

***as mentioned above, these rules actually started last year. Personally, I don’t mind them. Almost every other sport has done something to speed up the OT process—some better than others.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 20th, 2021, 7:23 am

I miss the 90s Braves bullpen that had pitchers that not only could pitch almost 9+ inning games consistently, but also could field and hit very well... Smoltz, Maddux, Glavine...

Then again, I also miss when the Braves would actually have a team worth watching, which hasn't been a thing in almost two decades...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 20th, 2021, 7:27 pm

I noticed one commonality to how sports have changed - the focus on analytics.

An analyst for the Golden State Warriors discovered it paid to shoot as many threes as possible. The team did so and won a championship. Now every game is like a three-point shooting contest.

In baseball the "pitch count" has discouraged managers from keeping pitchers in, and encouraged them to rotate too many relievers in an out. What a bore.

Also, three-pointers and home runs aren't exciting when they happen ALL THE TIME. These leagues are watering down the sports.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 21st, 2021, 5:47 am

Yeah, but the interesting thing about the Warriors is that they have 2 of the top 5 3 point shooters of all time (Curry and Thompson). So, it made sense for them to go “all in”. And you are right, it produced multiple championships.

Other teams try to replicate it, and can to some degree, but like most sports, the game changes when the playoffs roll around—things get slower, teams have more time to figure each other out, etc.

Really, for most sports, the season doesn’t REALLY start until the last month before playoffs.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 21st, 2021, 6:27 am

Voor wrote:Yeah, but the interesting thing about the Warriors is that they have 2 of the top 5 3 point shooters of all time (Curry and Thompson). So, it made sense for them to go “all in”. And you are right, it produced multiple championships.

Other teams try to replicate it, and can to some degree, but like most sports, the game changes when the playoffs roll around—things get slower, teams have more time to figure each other out, etc.

Really, for most sports, the season doesn’t REALLY start until the last month before playoffs.

Most teams in most sports, yes I agree.

Then you have the 2020 LSU Tigers NCAAF team... the start was as good as it got, then the first game...

Voor

Postby Voor » April 21st, 2021, 10:56 am

^^^college sports almost don’t count in this discussion because the player turnover is soooo high. That LSU team is a good example. Between the draft, graduation, and players opting out due to COVID, over half of their starters left.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 21st, 2021, 11:13 am

Voor wrote:^^^college sports almost don’t count in this discussion because the player turnover is soooo high. That LSU team is a good example. Between the draft, graduation, and players opting out due to COVID, over half of their starters left.

I concur.

Though I do recall a Marlins roster overhaul following a World Series win...

(I say Marlins because I don't know when they became the Miami Marlins, I still say Florida Marlins...)

jon

Postby jon » April 23rd, 2021, 7:59 pm

I just think they’re not catering to their core fan base the MLB. They should be focused on rebuilding the die hard core base that doesn’t care if there’s a million home runs or not. They’re losing their core fan base, fans that appreciate a good bunt or triple as much if not more than a home run.

Those Braves teams of the 90’s had incredibly popularities. They had fans in the surrounding southern states as well as the rest of the country. That ‘95 team was something else. The rotation of Avery, Maddox, Glavine and Smoltz were exciting. Although they did seem to run into problems with power pitchers in the playoffs and they just weren’t good enough.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 26th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Talk about unintended consequences - a Diamondback's picture gave up no hits and no runs in one game of a double header the other day. However, since double header games are only 7 innings, he does NOT get credit for a no-hitter.

Not saying he should, BUT this is an example of arbitrary rule changes ruining the best parts of the game. I was saying before how the collision with the catchers *was* the most exciting game in baseball. But what could be more suspenseful that a pitcher heading into the late innings with no hits? One again, another self-inflicted scar on the game.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 26th, 2021, 4:05 pm

What constitutes a Perfect Game these days?

Return to “Other Media”