New MLB Rules?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Voor

Re: New MLB Rules?

Postby Voor » April 13th, 2021, 1:33 pm

So before interleague play, a team could potentially only play 3-4 games ALL year (in the World Series, no less) with different DH rules?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2021, 5:52 pm

Oh yeah, interleague. That SUCKS too. Had some novelty value at first but now it's just a drag.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2021, 5:55 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Speaking of Orioles, saw this was uploaded recently; might find myself watching classic baseball instead of current...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmMrbqzqMM&t=88s

Thanks for the link! This was when baseball was still great in 1999. Cal was my hero. I'd definitely watch this before I watch a live O's game.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 13th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Voor wrote:So before interleague play, a team could potentially only play 3-4 games ALL year (in the World Series, no less) with different DH rules?

Correct.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 13th, 2021, 6:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Speaking of Orioles, saw this was uploaded recently; might find myself watching classic baseball instead of current...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmMrbqzqMM&t=88s

Thanks for the link! This was when baseball was still great in 1999. Cal was my hero. I'd definitely watch this before I watch a live O's game.

You are welcome!

Cal Ripken Jr was a fave of my Dads and he would tell me of his achievements as I was growing up. Aside from the Braves (my hometeam) and the As (because Mark McGwire in the early 90s), Cal was the only other player I knew aside from video game licensing (Frank Thomas).

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 13th, 2021, 6:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Oh yeah, interleague. That SUCKS too. Had some novelty value at first but now it's just a drag.

Totally forgot about that. Totally dumbs down the division rivalries.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » April 14th, 2021, 7:39 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Last night I was watch the Orioles/Red Sox game. The game went into extra innings and I was in for a shock. Apparently there's some new rule where they put a runner at second base at the start of every extra inning.

WTF?! This is wrong on so many levels.

I heard this morning that yet another new - and baffling - change is that for double-header games, the games will only go 7 innings vice the standard 9. Maybe this actually started last year and I wasn't aware of it?

If I had any small, lingering desire to get back into baseball this season, it's now been completely and officially snuffed out.

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » April 14th, 2021, 8:39 am

C64_Critic wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Last night I was watch the Orioles/Red Sox game. The game went into extra innings and I was in for a shock. Apparently there's some new rule where they put a runner at second base at the start of every extra inning.

I heard this morning that yet another new - and baffling - change is that for double-header games, the games will only go 7 innings vice the standard 9. Maybe this actually started last year and I wasn't aware of it?

If I had any small, lingering desire to get back into baseball this season, it's now been completely and officially snuffed out.

Yeah I heard that this morning as well. Doesn’t seem fair to me that the Red Sox and Twins might only have to play a 7 inning game and it still counts the same as a nine inning game between the Rays and Yankees. Just silly. On a slightly off topic note, I’ve been watching a lot of college baseball over the past several years and I can definitively say that it is much more entertaining than the professional game and doesn’t have all these needless rule changes. At least not yet. Fingers crossed.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 14th, 2021, 8:48 am

SuperiorShark wrote:
C64_Critic wrote:

Yeah I heard that this morning as well. Doesn’t seem fair to me that the Red Sox and Twins might only have to play a 7 inning game and it still counts the same as a nine inning game between the Rays and Yankees. Just silly. On a slightly off topic note, I’ve been watching a lot of college baseball over the past several years and I can definitively say that it is much more entertaining than the professional game and doesn’t have all these needless rule changes. At least not yet. Fingers crossed.

Knock on wood

jon

Postby jon » April 16th, 2021, 10:01 am

I didn’t know about the extra innings guy on 2nd rule. That’s so lame. MLB is trying to get casual fans with short attention spans. The thing is, we love baseball because it isn’t instant entertainment. I loved the strategy to bunt and stuff.

I really enjoyed going to my college’s baseball game a couple years ago. It was 1-0 win for my college. I believe the only run was on a passéd ball. I love those types of games.

This season every game is like 15-12. I can’t stand that. Nowadays players don’t even get taught how to bunt and move people up the bases.

Return to “Other Media”