New MLB Rules?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
bluenote

Re: New MLB Rules?

Postby bluenote » April 26th, 2021, 5:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Talk about unintended consequences - a Diamondback's picture gave up no hits and no runs in one game of a double header the other day. However, since double header games are only 7 innings, he does NOT get credit for a no-hitter.

Not saying he should, BUT this is an example of arbitrary rule changes ruining the best parts of the game. I was saying before how the collision with the catchers *was* the most exciting game in baseball. But what could be more suspenseful that a pitcher heading into the late innings with no hits? One again, another self-inflicted scar on the game.

Guys, these are temporary rule changes due to covid. Because of having to reschedule games due to covid outbreaks, this makes it easier to reschedule games. The players and owners agreed to this as part of the back to play agreement

This is not permanent

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 26th, 2021, 5:54 pm

Knock on wood

jon

Postby jon » April 27th, 2021, 3:57 pm

I heard about the “no hitter” too. I also thought the 7 inning doubleheader’s were permanent just like the player on 2nd base in extra innings. I so could see the 7 inning doubleheader being permanent.

I love that there’s so many people on this site who are knowledgeable about sports. I’m not into it like I did when I was younger going to football games with my dad and grandfather and brother. I always felt a little weird being a video game and sports fan. There’s some really knowledgeable sports fans and I love it.

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » May 21st, 2021, 9:50 am

Just heard about one of the latest rule changes some people are proposing: a 10 run mercy rule after 7 innings, you know, like the same mercy rule they have in little league games for 11 and 12 year olds.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 21st, 2021, 10:03 am

SuperiorShark wrote:Just heard about one of the latest rule changes some people are proposing: a 10 run mercy rule after 7 innings, you know, like the same mercy rule they have in little league games for 11 and 12 year olds.

And in other leagues, if some old baseball games are any indication...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2021, 3:14 pm

Ah yes the mercy rule, because players are so sensitive it might hurt their self esteem to lose badly.
Give me a break.
If you're getting blown out through 7, I think you'll survive two more.
Want to avoid getting blown out? Try not to suck so much.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » May 21st, 2021, 5:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Ah yes the mercy rule, because players are so sensitive it might hurt their self esteem to lose badly.
Give me a break.
If you're getting blown out through 7, I think you'll survive two more.
Want to avoid getting blown out? Try not to suck so much.

Nothing about being sensitive. It's about length of games. If a team is getting blown out with no chance of coming back, why not limit the game? Who wants to sit through that?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2021, 5:47 pm

Because late inning comebacks are one of the most exciting parts of the sport?

If you want to shorten the games, cut out the fat.
Shorter commercial breaks.
No practice pitches from the mound for relief pitchers.
No stepping out of the batter's box.
That's a half hour shorter right there, and you didn't even have to tinker with the game itself.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 21st, 2021, 5:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Because late inning comebacks are one of the most exciting parts of the sport?

That's a half hour shorter right there, and you didn't even have to tinker with the game itself.

Except that shorter ad breaks means less money collected. And late inning drama is always fun.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » May 21st, 2021, 6:07 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Because late inning comebacks are one of the most exciting parts of the sport?

I dont disagree with any of that. My point was that this proposed (lets remember, its proposed, not implemented) rule has nothing to do with hurt feelings of the players, its about shortening the game. We can debate what would be better to accomplish that, but hurt feelings or the egos of players has nothing to do with this, in my opinion.

Return to “Other Media”