Dr. Squatch Pine Tar Soap first impressions.

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Robotrek

Dr. Squatch Pine Tar Soap first impressions.

Postby Robotrek » May 4th, 2021, 10:10 pm

We've all seen the hilarious Dr. Squatch commercials online. There was even one during the Super Bowl. So I took a gamble and purchased a 3 pack of the best scent out of the bunch that I could think of: Pine Tar.

First impressions were nice out of the gate. I ripped open the envelope and the overpowering scent of pine was incredible. I absolutely love this smell. It reminds me so much of vacationing out west as a youngin' (despite living in Baltimore at the time) and the time I spent living in Vermont over the last couple of years with the delicious smell of red pine trees. It was very noticeable. Just having it sit on the coffee table, the smell lingered. Well, having just hopped out of the shower, it's both as good as I thought, and worse than I thought at the same time.

First things first, this bar is hard to get suds out of. This explains the complaints of longevity I've heard about. You really have to rub it in to get the most. But the suds are wonderful. Thick, dark, and very pleasant feeling on the skin. It really does make you feel like you're being cleaned. But sadly, this leads to the next complaint.

The wood chips. My goodness when you get deep into this thing rubbing it in to your skin becomes uncomfortable. I understand why the chips are there, to really hammer home the "natural" marketing, but they hurt for crying out loud! Guess I'd better man up like the commercial says.

The scent isn't nearly as strong when you get out of the shower as you might think. It's there but you don't notice it as much as you'd want to. But I suppose not having the overwhelming smell of forest might be a positive.

But here's the good thing about that: You no longer smell like soap. Seriously. That sort of chemical smell you usually have getting out of the shower is gone. Instead you get a hint of pine, which is a much better option to me. Your skin also doesn't have that "I just got out of the shower" feeling, rather, it feels like your skin normally should. This is a HUGE positive, and the biggest benefit this soap has. It makes you feel clean without feeling like you took a chemical bath. And that's why I'm going to give it a little longer to maybe grow on me, because I really do enjoy this feeling.

Is it worth a go? The soap isn't necessarily cheap. I bought a 3 pack for 26 dollars. That's a little under 9 dollars a bar. If you can get 5 showers out of a single bar, that's around 15 showers if you shower once a day (though I like to twice). So that's a tad under 60 dollars a month. That's not a small amount of money to spend on a soap. But I believe the subscription service brings the price down considerably. I'm not entirely sure. I'd definitely say it's worth a try to see if you like this kind of thing. It's definitely not as fantastic as I was expecting. The scent didn't follow me. But the feeling once you get out and dry is undeniably pleasant.

I'll give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Robotrek

Re: Dr. Squatch Pine Tar Soap first impressions.

Postby Robotrek » May 15th, 2021, 5:02 am

I ended up getting 11 showers out of the first bar. Not bad. I feel much better about using this soap now that I feel better about it's longevity.

Return to “Other Media”