Best Western film?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
ActRaiser

Re: Best Western film?

Postby ActRaiser » June 1st, 2021, 7:48 am

The Sons of Katie Elder is a classic. John Wayne and Dean Martin make a fun team.

Check out HBO Max and How the West Was Won. It starred pretty much anyone that was a big name back in the day. Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, etc. It's epic. The nice thing about watching it on HBO Max versus regular TV is that it's in its full letterbox film versus the cut down 4:3 look you get on regular tv.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 1st, 2021, 10:45 am

Back when I lived at home my Dad was always watching westerns so I've seen PARTS of many different films but not too many in full and I only want to count the ones I've seen front to back. My top five of those would probably be:

Unforgiven
The Wild Bunch
Red River
The Ox-Bow Incident
El Topo

I definitely plan on checking out more in the future, since it's a genre that I've neglected.

icepeople

Postby icepeople » June 1st, 2021, 3:42 pm

I'll go with The Outlaw Josey Wales...and my opinion of why The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is extremely overrated: it's too long with way too many dull stretches and artificially long scenes. And the famed final showdown is nonsense because it's a rigged game...had it been a true triple-faceoff with some kind of clever resolution that'd be something, but not enough to make up for the other flaws.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 1st, 2021, 9:46 pm

djc wrote:Back to the Future III ::ducks::

Just kidding. I will say that I am not a fan of true westerns so I am going to go with Blazing Saddles and call it a day. :)

Blazing Saddles is fantastic.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 2nd, 2021, 4:39 am

Alucard1191 wrote:
djc wrote:Back to the Future III ::ducks::

Just kidding. I will say that I am not a fan of true westerns so I am going to go with Blazing Saddles and call it a day. :)

Blazing Saddles is fantastic.

I concur

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 2nd, 2021, 7:14 am

Davey Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier

I won't say it's the best, but it may be my favorite.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 2nd, 2021, 4:51 pm

First of all I think I need to cheat.. The Ultimate Warrior. After a nuclear war Yul Brynner leads a rag tag band to safety. A western set after a nuclear war.

Second. High plains Drifter. I would say Eastwood's Horror western as it is so bleak.

Then I would have to go with Shane and then High Noon.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 2nd, 2021, 5:18 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:First of all I think I need to cheat.. The Ultimate Warrior. After a nuclear war Yul Brynner leads a rag tag band to safety. A western set after a nuclear war.

Second. High plains Drifter. I would say Eastwood's Horror western as it is so bleak.

Then I would have to go with Shane and then High Noon.

Yarp, High Plains Drifter is good, as is Joe Kidd.

WorstInTheLobby

Postby WorstInTheLobby » June 8th, 2021, 1:35 pm

Never been a big Western fan but there are some that I do love. My all time fav is Unforgiven Clint Eastwood's final western and I think his best. I LOVE the Young Guns movies especially number 2 and its Soundtrack :). Big fan of Tombstone and Wyatt Earp, Liked the Mel Gibson movie Maverick as well. One I would recommend that came out a few years ago is called Bone Tomahawk starring Kurt Russel.Open Range is very underrated IMO.And I liked the recent Tom Hanks Western News OF The World which is saying something because it's the first Tom Hanks Movie I've likes since the 1990's lol.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 1st, 2021, 6:49 am

If you expand this to TV, then Cowboy Bebop is a must. This is one anime where you can safely believe the hype, it really is as good as everyone says it is.

Space westerns count, right?

Return to “Other Media”