Best Western film?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
matmico399

Best Western film?

Postby matmico399 » May 29th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Western films there are so many. I have watched a ton of them. Many classics like Josey Wales, Unforgiven, the Long Riders, the Wild Bunch, etc. I have to go with The Good The Bad And The Ugly. Near the end that final scene with tuco staring at the noose nailed it for me. What about you?

Cafeman

Re: Best Western film?

Postby Cafeman » May 29th, 2021, 8:54 pm

The answer is probably "which Eastwood film do you prefer".

The Good, Bad, and Ugly is probably the most epic Western, it is just so lonnng. After 1 watch, I can't watch it all again in one sitting. I agree though, it is fantastic. But the other two "Man with No Name" films are also very entertaining - Fistful of Dollars, and For a Few Dollars More. I love in Few Dollars More, Lee Can Cleef getting off the stage and dropping his roll of guns on his horse and nailing that guy. Then the battle in the street where Van Cleef shoots Eastwood's hat about a dozen times or more. Then at the end Eastwood puts the hat back on , LOL!

I like Hang 'Em High too. High Plains Drifter. Pale Rider. Unforgiven. Josey Wales.

In the John Wayne category, True Grit is great. And in the comedy western section, McClintock, and the hilarious Blazing Saddles.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 30th, 2021, 5:06 am

The Magnificent Seven (original version) with Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, and Eli Wallach. This one stuck with me more than any other, the shots, the action, the music, the cast, and this good message, "You think I'm brave because I carry a gun? You're fathers are brave as they are responsible"

Voor

Postby Voor » May 31st, 2021, 11:43 am

I really liked 3:10 to Yuma and remake of True Grit.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » May 31st, 2021, 1:11 pm

To see the very best western films, it really pays to look beyond the typically recognized "classics" to find some of the really interesting stuff. Don't miss these if you can help it...all available on DVD or blu-ray.

Jimmy Stewart/dir. Anthony Mann "The Far Country"...I think it's the best western ever made.

ALL of the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott "Renown" Cycle films (Tall T / Decision at Sundown / Buchanan Rides Alone / Ride Lonesome / Comanche Station/Seven Men From Now)

"My Darling Clementine" dir. John Ford with Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp

"Lawman" with Burt Lancaster...brutal and unflinching...great supporting turn by the mighty Robert Ryan

"Hour of the Gun" w/ James Garner as Wyatt Earp and Jason Robards as Doc Holliday...what happened after the OK coral gunfight

"The Professionals" Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, Burt Lancaster, Woody Strode...best "team caper" western of all time, much more fun than the "The Wild Bunch"

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 31st, 2021, 7:41 pm

Not really a 'western' guy, but I friggen love Tombstone.

/Well... bye.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 31st, 2021, 8:08 pm

I am a big fan of John Wayne so I would highly recommend "The Searchers" which is not your typical western movie. A true classic and IMHO John Wayne's best movie. I also love True Grit (new and old) along with The Horse Soldiers albeit the latter is more of a war movie than a "western".

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 31st, 2021, 9:19 pm

The Searchers, Shane, or Rio Bravo

djc

Postby djc » May 31st, 2021, 11:41 pm

Back to the Future III ::ducks::

Just kidding. I will say that I am not a fan of true westerns so I am going to go with Blazing Saddles and call it a day. :)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 1st, 2021, 5:07 am

Good, Bad and Ugly, Rio Bravo, Fistful of Dollars, Few Dollars More, McLintock, Josey Wales, Magnificent Seven (with Steve McQueen)

Return to “Other Media”