Book: Strange Creatures From The Time of The Dinosaurs

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
lynchie137

Book: Strange Creatures From The Time of The Dinosaurs

Postby lynchie137 » June 2nd, 2021, 2:57 pm

Here's another book I bought back in Elementary school through the book order program they would have every few months or so. I believe it was called the "Scholastic Book Service" or something like that, since that appears on the title page, but I'm not 100% sure. It was so long ago. Anyway, back then like a lot of kids, i was hugely interested in dinosaurs, so when I saw this book advertised I had to get it just on the title alone. And I'm glad I did. Now, to be frank, there's not a whole lot of reading material found within these pages. Just a page or two for each creature. After all, it was a children's book. But the illustrations were first class. Basically, how it was laid out was that the first page would give the name of the creature, have a brief description of it, and have an amazing looking illustration of the creature in prehistoric times. Then the second page would be what it would be like if the creature in question survived into the present day with a slightly more cartoonish illustration of it interacting with people in everyday life. My personal favorite is one called Pachydiscus, which was a giant squid type thing with a curly shell. The first page has it fighting what appears to be a giant Dolphin type animal under the sea. The next page has it trying to enter somebody's front door while a woman is trying to fend it off with a hockey stick. And the caption underneath says "A full grown Pachydiscus would be too big to fit through the front door of a house". Perhaps somebody should have told the woman in the pic that lol. Other creatures featured in the book are the Pternadon, Elasmasauras, Archaeopteryx, Hesperonis and a few others. It was a pretty cool little book, and imho would be a nice gift for a kid today.

Here's what the cover looked like. Hopefully, I can add some scans of some of the creatures found within the pages of this book in the future...
Attachments
55828607._SX318_.jpg
55828607._SX318_.jpg (19.25 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Luigi & Peach

Re: Book: Strange Creatures From The Time of The Dinosaurs

Postby Luigi & Peach » June 3rd, 2021, 8:25 pm

This sounds like a book I would have loved as a kid!

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 5th, 2021, 4:50 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:This sounds like a book I would have loved as a kid!

Yeah. I hope my nephew will like it. I'm planning on gifting it to him when he gets a little older. He's only 2 now, so still a little too young. Maybe when he starts school would be a good time, perhaps?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 5th, 2021, 10:13 pm

As a kid? I'd love to read this NOW! I'm in the middle of watching the Jurassic Park movies for Pete's sake!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 6th, 2021, 10:45 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:As a kid? I'd love to read this NOW! I'm in the middle of watching the Jurassic Park movies for Pete's sake!

LOL!

This reminds me of a book I had when I was very young (late 80s), a small paperback book that detailed for young readers the three main periods of dinosaur times, and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the book (the cover disappeared as the 90s began, and of all the items I kept from those times, it does not seem to have survived...

Will have to give this book a look.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 6th, 2021, 10:48 am

For those interested, I believe the book in this thread is the one on Amazon below:

https://www.amazon.com/Strange-creature ... 0590333682

Return to “Other Media”