French Open 2021

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

French Open 2021

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 5th, 2021, 11:27 am

Any tennis fans here? I've been watching as much as I can of the French Open AKA Roland Garros.

It's neat to see the "big 3" on the men's side (Nadal, Federer, Djokovic) all in the mix. I love those guys.

On the woman's side I'm not a big Serena Williams fan but doesn't look like she has much competition.

jon

Re: French Open 2021

Postby jon » June 5th, 2021, 8:14 pm

I’ve watched a little but keep up on the results. It’s going to be interesting now with Federer playing well. I think him Nadal and Djokovic are in the same half. I’m definitely going to be watching as it gets deep. This is kind of an interesting time with this majors race going on with Federer and Nadal at 20 and Djokovic at 18.

jon

Postby jon » June 7th, 2021, 8:44 am

It seems like there’s more than 1 channel broadcasting these matches. That’s a great development. I think you can watch Djokovic on 1 channel and Sophia Kenin (I think she’s hot) ok the other.

It used to be that all the majors were on 1 channel and they’d flip between matches while they were both in progress. they’d show some of the men’s match and then part of a women’s match for a few minutes at a time. It was so aggravating to be watching a match and then show a different match for 10 minutes.

And no matter who was playing they would still do that. I’ve seen them regularly cut from an ongoing match with Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic to cut to a women’s match.

Edit: I was wrong. On basic cable there's only Tennis Channel coverage. I'm assuming when it's not on TC it'll be on ESPN, maybe the final on NBC or something. I'm pretty sure there's some options to pay for access to a lot of matches on espn or some channels to buy on tv. It's nice to be at the quarters now. Nadal and Djokovic took care of business although Djokovic lost the first 2 sets.

I wonder what people think of Sophia Kenin. I think she's really hot but for some reason some people don't think so.

jon

Postby jon » June 13th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Djokovic pulled it off after being down 2 sets to love. I like Djokovic.I still love Federer. Something about Djokovic just seems to be a down to earth guy. As down to earth and nice as anyone in his position can be. Right now it’s:

Nadal & Federer: 20 majors
Djokovic 19

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 13th, 2021, 5:48 pm

I was also confused about the TV. I had been watching the Tennis Channel all week, so saw the men's finals was on at 2PM and watched it there.

Unfortunately during the match I realized it was not live, and the internet gave away the winner.

I still don't know if it was on a major network live or not.

I find this to be a problem with a lot of sports nowadays. You don't know what network/channel an event is going to be on. And when you do catch it, you don't know if it's live or not.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 13th, 2021, 5:52 pm

jon wrote:Djokovic pulled it off after being down 2 sets to love. I like Djokovic.I still love Federer. Something about Djokovic just seems to be a down to earth guy. As down to earth and nice as anyone in his position can be. Right now it’s:

Nadal & Federer: 20 majors
Djokovic 19

I agree Novac has the best personality of the three (although I love all of them). Nadal has more style, and Federer has the gravitas, but Djokovic is the one you want to have a beer with.

jon

Postby jon » June 14th, 2021, 9:08 am

This might be Djokovic's greatest accomplishment. Someone mentioned that beating Nadal down a set at the French Open Semis and then Tsitsipas in the final down 2 sets was an incredible feat. And it is. That's almost impossible to do. Also, Novak has won each slam 2 times. Neither Federer (1 French Open) or Nadal (1 Australian Open) have done that.

About Djokovic being a nice guy, when he had personal issues a few years ago I think it actually endeared him to fans even more. I mean, sure he was with every supermodel in Eastern Europe, but if anything it showed he was flawed like anyone. I mean, c'mon, being Djokovic how could he not take advantage of that. But his family stayed together and with him. Part of the reason I like Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal, is that they all settled down with down to earth women that weren't celebrities or seeking publicity.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 14th, 2021, 12:12 pm

I am a Nadal fan although like Federer and Djokovic as well. The FO result really heats up the GOAT debate (Greatest of all Time). While it has always been Nadal/Federer, Djokovic is making a strong claim here as well. Not much in it and I believe he leads the H2H between himself and Federer and Nadal. Djokovic is younger as well and it seems he is pretty good on grass if not one of the all time greats on that surface (5 slams and he regularly beats Federer on that surface). Strong chance he will win Wimbledon at least once more if not more.

IMO, while it is fun to debate the best, the whole GOAT debate is probably moot. I prefer to think of champions in each era with each era being unique. You had the fast courts of the 90's where guys like Becker and Sampras could be unplayable on their day, the wooden rackets used by Borg/McEnroe and their immaculate touch, then there is Laver, who probably should just be called the GOAT to get it over and done with.....

I must say Tsitsipas looks like he will be the next big champion now that Thiem is off the boil. Hopefully when the big three hang up their rackets we do not have another era where the likes of Hewitt/Safin/Roddick dominate the tour, not that any of these players were bad... of course not .... but....

Yes Sofia Kenin is cute.

marioguy2

Postby marioguy2 » June 14th, 2021, 7:07 pm

I think the finals for the men and women were put on NBC's Peacock service, so that explains the Tennis Channel delay.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 14th, 2021, 7:52 pm

Return to “Other Media”