Summer Book?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Summer Book?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2021, 5:06 pm

I'm in the market for a good summer book. Any suggestions?

pacman000

Re: Summer Book?

Postby pacman000 » June 15th, 2021, 8:02 pm

What do you like? You can search https://www.gutenberg.org/ for public domain stuff.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 16th, 2021, 6:30 pm

I'm looking for a novel I can read on my porch on a nice summer evening. Preferably summer-themed.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 18th, 2021, 1:00 pm

The first novels which come to my mind for "Summer Themed" are Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, but I'm sure you've read those before.

I enjoyed City at Worlds End by Edmond Hamilton, tho that's sci-fi, & it's not really set around the summer. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/641 ... orld_s_End

Doyle's The Lost World is fun, once it gets to the part with Dinosaurs. Problem is that takes half the novel. https://www.amazon.com/Lost-World-Arthu ... 142096089X Still not summer themed, in my mind.

Nevermind

Postby Nevermind » June 18th, 2021, 4:18 pm

Vernon God Little. Get past the first twenty pages and it’s a good book. Pleasing original authorial voice, just don’t read directly off the back of a classic.

The Grass is Singing. You’ll feel the dry heat and be transported to another time and place.

Seven Pillars of Wisdom. TE Lawrence - Lawrence of Arabia. Easier than the thickness of the volume would suggest. Dry desert heat.

Heart of Darkness. A great short novel by Joseph Conrad. Might lead you to try his other works.

Across the River and into the Trees. Hemingway, an American in Italy, very well executed, appears effortless.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 19th, 2021, 7:24 am

Cannery Row, by John Steinbeck, and Dandelion Wine, by Ray Bradbury.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 26th, 2021, 3:44 pm

So I was browsing around the local Barnes and Noble looking for a book when it occurred to me: HP Lovecraft! That Sinking City review really got me interested in this classic author.

It's funny - I had a hard time finding him and had to ask. Didn't know what section to look for. They finally found "the complete works of" for $25, bound in leather in the classics section. It's a lot of book for the money!

DocHix

Postby DocHix » June 27th, 2021, 10:26 am

Two of my favorite summer books...
"Dandelion Wine" by Ray Bradbury
"Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories and Other Disasters" by Jean Shepherd

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 28th, 2021, 10:44 pm

Something about this topic makes me want to go read The Great Gatsby again. Perfect summer book, taking place during the summer of 1922. Especially fitting read this year - with last summer being a dud - the roaring ‘20s setting and Gatsby parties could get you in the right mindset to make the most of summer 2021.

It’s one of those classics that most people probably already read at some point. If not, highly recommend.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 29th, 2021, 4:47 pm

Good point about Gatsby. I think that was the one book I was forced to read in high school that I actually enjoyed! A classic.

This is a good time of year to take a break from the screen, pour a glass of lemonade and sit on the porch. I'm a slow reader (one chapter per sitting usually) but it really breaks up the monotony and lets you enjoy the season.

Return to “Other Media”