2021 Wimbledon

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

2021 Wimbledon

Postby jon » July 5th, 2021, 11:04 am

And now for the big shocker, Federer and Diokovic are in the second week. Federer I think is about to play, probably as a massive favorite to make the quarters.

Maybe it’s just me, but when I watched a little of Federer’s match in the opening rounds I kind of got a little bored with him still winning. Federer took a long time off to “get in shape”, withdraws from the French after 3 rounds, which was puzzling. If that was planned it was pretty messed up. He should’ve just sat out the French. I wouldn’t be upset if he gets bounced soon. If Djoker wins it’s all tied up at 20. But if I were a betting man I’d probably put it on Federer.

DrLitch

Re: 2021 Wimbledon

Postby DrLitch » July 6th, 2021, 12:30 pm

It's Federer's movement that set him apart from the rest. My money is on Djokovic for the title, for the other opponent it is like playing against a brick wall. Federer is probably the most talented out of the big three but it is possible to tire this guy out, as his epic matches against Nadal and Djokovic were typically lost on points when Fed started shanking shots he normally makes - AO 2017 exception when he went the distance with Nadal. Wimbledon is playing weirdly slow this year or maybe I am seeing things. Ball does not seem to fizz like in other years.

I been more interested in the woman's tennis this time around. Britain has a new queen in Emma Raducanu, a lady that came out of absolutely nowhere to knock out a couple of very seasoned tennis players. I like the underdogs. My fave tournament was 2001 when Goran won Wimbledon as a wildcard. No nemesis in Sampras that year either, Roger as a relatively unknown player knocked him out.

jon

Postby jon » July 6th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Federer's movement peaked when he was young. By 2007 he had started to lose a lot more matches. I think other aspects of Federer's game like his awareness, ability to serve well, and ground game which has stayed at a high level have been more the reason he stayed on top.

From when he started winning majors until 2007 he was in my opinion better than Djokovic or Nadal were ever. He beat Nadal pretty good in 2006. When Nadal took him to 5 sets in 2007, I couldn't believe it. I knew that Federer had to have declined. It was probably his movement. But at this point Federer seems to only have a chance at Wimbledon. That might be because of how uneven the bounces are. He's been winning his matches handily so far.

jon

Postby jon » July 9th, 2021, 10:01 am

DrLitch wrote:It's Federer's movement that set him apart from the rest. My money is on Djokovic for the title, for the other opponent it is like playing against a brick wall. Federer is probably the most talented out of the big three but it is possible to tire this guy out, as his epic matches against Nadal and Djokovic were typically lost on points when Fed started shanking shots he normally makes - AO 2017 exception when he went the distance with Nadal. Wimbledon is playing weirdly slow this year or maybe I am seeing things. Ball does not seem to fizz like in other years.

I been more interested in the woman's tennis this time around. Britain has a new queen in Emma Raducanu, a lady that came out of absolutely nowhere to knock out a couple of very seasoned tennis players. I like the underdogs. My fave tournament was 2001 when Goran won Wimbledon as a wildcard. No nemesis in Sampras that year either, Roger as a relatively unknown player knocked him out.

Ok, maybe you were right about Federer :)

Rooting for Djoker

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 12th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Well this sets up the most exciting US Open of all time, with Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal all tied with 20 grand slam wins.
This might be the last time we can watch this holy trilogy compete in the same tournament.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 13th, 2021, 6:59 am

Aamzinggananana and you love Tennis games. I think the Fed had his Waterloo already.

jon

Postby jon » July 13th, 2021, 7:55 am

This Wimbledon policy of not being able to see any highlights on youtube is so aggravating. I didn't see the last couple sets and even if I did would want to watch highlights. The most they have of any match is like a one minute video. After the final someone put up a highlight package of 20 minutes of the biggest points. But it got taken down a few hours later.

Edit: There's a 10 minute video of highlights that I guess was put up by espn on youtube. But it only gets past the 1st set at like the 5 minute mark. So there's like a few highlights of the final 3 sets. I don't even remember this video being up the last couple days. Besides that it's nothing. There's no video of any Federer or Djokovic match for any round or anyone else for that matter.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 13th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Yeah what the heck, no Wimbledon highlights on Youtube. I ended up missing the final since I had errands to run and had to choose between Wimbledon or European Cup, choosing the latter. The ESPN highlight is better than nothing but I wanted a nice 20 minute vid showcasing the final.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well this sets up the most exciting US Open of all time, with Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal all tied with 20 grand slam wins.
This might be the last time we can watch this holy trilogy compete in the same tournament.

Federer might be done and dusted now. He had a mini renaissance in 2017-18 where he was playing tennis at a similar level to his 2006-7 self but time might have caught up to him now, particularly with his knee troubles. Not sure what happened to Fed regarding the US open, won 5 in a row and then nothing since 2009. Nadal will be interesting to watch, might be undercooked this year with less matches played but the US open is a surface he has had much success with. If Djorkovic can get his calendar grand slam that would be a heck of an achievement for him.

jon

Postby jon » July 16th, 2021, 8:13 am

One day the big 3 will be gone and they'll be begging people to watch highlights at that point. I'm sure a Shapovalov Berrettini final would have been compelling.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 16th, 2021, 7:56 pm

jon wrote:I'm sure a Shapovalov Berrettini final would have been compelling.

Battle of big hitters. Would indeed be fun. If these two keep their error counts under control we wont have to wait for the big three to fizzle out.

Return to “Other Media”