Bad Movies You Like For Some Reason

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Bad Movies You Like For Some Reason

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 16th, 2021, 3:26 pm

My vote is for Disney's The Black Hole (1979). Saw this as a kid and it made an impression because I was curious about space. Couldn't hold a candle to Star Wars of course.

Watched the DVD about 20 years back and was disgusted by just how bad it was.

Just watched it on Blu Ray and this time I kind of liked it, probably because my expectations were calibrated so low.

I hated the cute robots but some of the special effects were pretty good, and the robot villain (Maximilian) was scary. Interesting that the main villain was a famous actor named Maximilian Schell. I enjoyed the story and the soundtrack had this freaky "merry go round" thing happening.

Zack Burner

Re: Bad Movies You Like For Some Reason

Postby Zack Burner » July 16th, 2021, 6:01 pm

Now THIS is a fun thread! Here's some:

The Stuff (1985) - low budget but very effective B-movie with a biting commentary about consumerism. Love the effects such as fluff coming out of bed to swallow person, man's head and dog's head stretch out grotesquely, and Stuff moving around in a lake.

Kickboxer 4 (1994) - Of all the Kickboxer movies I like this one the most, as it features real tournament and spy action, plus David Sloane can match up to his brothers, and I like the inclusion of the female fighter Megan Laurence. Don't let her size fool you. Only complaint is different actor for Tong Po. Nice callback to the other movies though.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988) - Yes even I have a soft spot for this movie too, not much else to say.

Evil Toons (1992) - Evil Dead meets Roger Rabbit. Doesn't fully live up to the hype but at least the toon monster is interesting and David Carradine adds some interest.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 16th, 2021, 8:02 pm

American Ninja starring Michael Dudikoff :lol:

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » July 17th, 2021, 7:51 pm

Halloween III. Almost no one I know liked it. But I thought it was a great take moving away from the Michael Myers theme. Yes it was cheesy, but I admired it since I saw it first in the mid 1980s. Those guys in black with the black gloves were so creepy. I still watch this every year at Halloween. It is so unique and so entertaining. As the bad guy says Happy Halloween.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » July 17th, 2021, 10:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:My vote is for Disney's The Black Hole (1979). ... Watched the DVD about 20 years back and was disgusted by just how bad it was. ... Just watched it on Blu Ray and this time I kind of liked it, probably because my expectations were calibrated so low..

The Black Hole popped into my head too, so I feel like talking about it a bit. When I subscribed to Disney+ , I watched a bunch of their 70s films including this one. I had seen it in the theater as a kid, it was just 'ok' and I kind of thought Disney was behind the times, this could have been much better. But I did think it was creepier and more adult than I'd expected.

Anyway, rewatching it last year, I liked the film a lot more. It isn't because I think it is a better film. It is because it has that 70s era stamp on it, which I miss and like to revisit. And I love the mix of actors. Maximillian Schell is great, an insane Captain Nemo in space. The Psycho himself Norman Bates is here (Anthony Perkins). Beautiful and aging gracefully Yvette Mimieux (Weena from 1960 The Time Machine; she was also in the super horrible but entertaining film "Devil Dog: The Hound from Hell" LOL). And Ernest Borgnine too.

And you have Roddy McDowell (Planet of the Apes) and the great hilarious Slim Pickens as the 2 robot voices! And there is a slow, quiet kind of tension to the film, getting inevitably pulled into that Black Hole (and that ending sequence, Disney really swung for the fences there).

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 18th, 2021, 5:01 am

I remember seeing Black Hole as a kid once. It was pretty dark and edgy for the time, considering Disney wanted to move beyond typecast. I will say it was entertaining, even if it felt like a ripoff of Star Wars. I did like the fact that Roddy McDowell and Slim Pickens were the voices of Vincent and Bob repsectively, in fact one year I managed to actually draw them as well! There was also Anthony Perkins as well, best known for playing Norman Bates in the original Psycho as well. His character gets a pretty gruesome death for a Disney movie that is....getting disemboweled (offscreen)

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 18th, 2021, 7:41 pm

I will always maintain that Super Mario Bros. is a B movie classic and an incredibly fun experience. It's a bad movie for sure, but it's a great bad movie. "EVERYBODY'S GOT TAP WATAH!"

Hagane

Postby Hagane » July 18th, 2021, 7:53 pm

That Godzilla movie with Matthew Broderick.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » July 18th, 2021, 8:33 pm

The Room

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 18th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Hagane wrote:That Godzilla movie with Matthew Broderick.

OMG I totally forgot about that one. What a stinker. And yet, I want to watch it right now! LOL

Return to “Other Media”