Bad Movies You Like For Some Reason

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Matchstick

Re: Bad Movies You Like For Some Reason

Postby Matchstick » July 18th, 2021, 10:03 pm

Heavy Metal. One of my wife and mine's all-time favorites, but boyyyyyy, is it hard to watch. We were planning on watching it with some friends who came to visit recently, but changed our minds at the last minute. Not the best movie for company! Infinitely quotable, though. In John candy's voice, "I can't just go walkin' around with my dork hangin' out!" The South Park spoof episode from a few years back was spot-on, too.

I know listing any MST3K movies is probably cheating, but I do love Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, starring Raul Julia. Definitely some awesome future-thinking and concepts in that one. Reminds me a lot of Max Headroom, which is always a good thing!

Speaking of Headroom-related material -

LoganRuckman wrote:I will always maintain that Super Mario Bros. is a B movie classic and an incredibly fun experience. It's a bad movie for sure, but it's a great bad movie. "EVERYBODY'S GOT TAP WATAH!"

I still use "Trust the fungus" as an almost-daily quote, especially at work :D
Last edited by Matchstick on July 19th, 2021, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » July 19th, 2021, 2:55 pm

Howard the Duck. However I can't explain the reason I like it. :P

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » July 19th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Krull, Message From Space, most of the Gamera movies, the first 2, 4th, & 7th(?) Pokemon movie.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 19th, 2021, 6:35 pm

AtariToday wrote:Howard the Duck. However I can't explain the reason I like it. :P

My wife is from Ohio. Hearing Howard say, "Do you really think if I had somewhere to go, I would be in CLEVE-LAND?" gets her every time. And every time someone says Cleveland, or she hears about it, she always says / reads it as CLEVE-LAND.

Needless to say, that movie has a pretty special place in our hearts. I even have a framed 8x10 of Howard hanging on our living room wall by the TV - and I am not ashamed of that.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 19th, 2021, 6:55 pm

pacman000 wrote:the first 2, 4th, & 7th(?) Pokemon movie.

I wouldn't consider the 2nd and 4th movies bad, just a little above mediocre, but the 3rd is the peak (another one of my all-time favorite movies!). It's the first that's the true bad one (blame it on 4kids for that), good idea poor execution. I'm currently watching in segments, Flash Gordon (Flash! ahhhhhh! savior of the universe!) Just got to the amusing football fight moment, which makes me chuckle.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » July 20th, 2021, 6:54 am

Matchstick wrote:I even have a framed 8x10 of Howard hanging on our living room wall by the TV - and I am not ashamed of that.

I knew I liked you for a reason! :lol: I'm from Ohio myself.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » July 20th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Zack Burner wrote:I wouldn't consider the 2nd and 4th movies bad, just a little above mediocre, but the 3rd is the peak (another one of my all-time favorite movies!). It's the first that's the true bad one (blame it on 4kids for that), good idea poor execution. I'm currently watching in segments, Flash Gordon (Flash! ahhhhhh! savior of the universe!) Just got to the amusing football fight moment, which makes me chuckle.
Even without 4Kids' edits, Pokémon: The First Movie has too many problems to really be good. It's too dark for a film based off a comical adventure TV series; characters get to make long speeches consisting of their name, &it's written like a mystery, without any real mystery.

I did not like the 3rd movie; it had some cool segments, but it made little sense.

The 2nd movie is almost good; I blame 4Kids for it's problems; they tried to force a couple of morals in there which came off as heavy handed.

I liked the 4th movie a lot, but the CGI is really dated, & a lot of people dislike it, so I can't consider it good.

Flash Gordon is fun.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » July 20th, 2021, 4:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Hagane wrote:That Godzilla movie with Matthew Broderick.

OMG I totally forgot about that one. What a stinker. And yet, I want to watch it right now! LOL

Love that Godzilla movie, the rainy settings, the destruction and that huge menancing Iguana like Godzilla was way cooler than the original one imo.

I'd rather watch it than the awful Jurassic Park 3, also at the time I liked it more than Jurassic Park 2.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 20th, 2021, 5:54 pm

pacman000 wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:I wouldn't consider the 2nd and 4th movies bad, just a little above mediocre, but the 3rd is the peak (another one of my all-time favorite movies!). It's the first that's the true bad one (blame it on 4kids for that), good idea poor execution. I'm currently watching in segments, Flash Gordon (Flash! ahhhhhh! savior of the universe!) Just got to the amusing football fight moment, which makes me chuckle.
Even without 4Kids' edits, Pokémon: The First Movie has too many problems to really be good. It's too dark for a film based off a comical adventure TV series; characters get to make long speeches consisting of their name, &it's written like a mystery, without any real mystery.

I did not like the 3rd movie; it had some cool segments, but it made little sense.

The 2nd movie is almost good; I blame 4Kids for it's problems; they tried to force a couple of morals in there which came off as heavy handed.

I liked the 4th movie a lot, but the CGI is really dated, & a lot of people dislike it, so I can't consider it good.

Flash Gordon is fun.

Suit yourself, to each their own.

I'll finish Flash Gordon soon. Coming soon, more bad movies for me to enjoy: Mosquito (1995) featuring Gunnar Hansen (Leatherface!), in fact at one point he gets a chainsaw. Bad Taste (1987) - Peter Jackson's first movie, a homemade movie shot in a bunch of years.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 20th, 2021, 6:15 pm

I actually love the Pokemon movies, although I'm not very up to date anymore. I feel like they're not even good bad movies, but just legitimately good movies. The first three, Heroes, Destiny Deoxys, and Lucario & The Mystery Of Mew are all awesome. And the other ones I've seen are still a lot of fun. If I had to pick a single favorite, I'd honestly probably choose Destiny Deoxys. Although the first one is the most nostalgic, since it's the only one I actually watched in a theater. And I'm shocked I never wore out the VHS tape I used to have of the third movie.

Return to “Other Media”