Read anything good lately?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Read anything good lately?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 24th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Read any good books lately?

Right now I'm reading Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson, the fourth book in his Stormlight Archive series. I'm a massive Sanderson nut. You might even call me...a Fanderson. In my opinion, he's our generation's Tolkien, creating interesting worlds filled with relatable characters and intriguing magic systems, and he does it without letting the worldbuilding get in the way of the plot.

What about you?

ActRaiser

Re: Read anything good lately?

Postby ActRaiser » July 25th, 2021, 6:39 pm

I finished Sid Meirs Memoir over our vacation in early July.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1324005874/re ... N76SF32S65

The first couple of chapters had some klunky writing but after that I really enjoyed it. For those that don't know Sid co created Microprose and tons of strategy games. It was a fun insight to the creative process of game making.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 25th, 2021, 7:38 pm

Thanks for bringing the Sid Meier book to my attention! Looks like something I would enjoy.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 26th, 2021, 9:34 am

I am reading Children of time https://www.fantasticfiction.com/t/adrian-tchaikovsky/children-of-time.htm.

It is a world building book crossed with a generation ship book. Though as it is also an uplift novel. So David Brin/Robert Heinlein. https://www.fantasticfiction.com/h/robert-heinlein/orphans-of-sky.htm
I am about 2 thirds in. It dipped a bit in the middle but has improved.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 26th, 2021, 10:06 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for bringing the Sid Meier book to my attention! Looks like something I would enjoy.

Check out your nearest Barnes and Noble. I hadn't been there in years and we stopped by before leaving for our vacation. They had signed copies available. That sold it for me. I thought that was pretty awesome.

And I took your recommendation and bought two copies of Retro Gaming Magazine while there. That magazine is beautiful with tons of stories on making of classics in both console and arcade games. Great recommendation! I asked for a subscription for my birthday.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 27th, 2021, 8:24 am

Reading thru Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series for the first time (my Dad read them when as they released thru the 90s, I'm just getting into them...). NOT a short series, 14 main books plus a Prequel Book. VERY good if you like Tolkien and fantasy.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 27th, 2021, 9:07 am

MSR1701 wrote:Reading thru Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series for the first time (my Dad read them when as they released thru the 90s, I'm just getting into them...). NOT a short series, 14 main books plus a Prequel Book. VERY good if you like Tolkien and fantasy.

I've got Lord of Chaos sitting on my desk waiting to be read right now! Can't wait for the show.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 27th, 2021, 9:32 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Reading thru Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series for the first time (my Dad read them when as they released thru the 90s, I'm just getting into them...). NOT a short series, 14 main books plus a Prequel Book. VERY good if you like Tolkien and fantasy.

I've got Lord of Chaos sitting on my desk waiting to be read right now! Can't wait for the show.

LOL! That's the volume I'm on, just started reading it a few days ago...

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 27th, 2021, 10:53 am

Go Set a Watchman, by Harper Lee. Yes I know it's not as good as To Kill a Mockingbird, but it's still good, covering aspects of life and different forms of maturity as seen through Jean Louise Finch.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 27th, 2021, 11:02 am

MSR1701 wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:

LOL! That's the volume I'm on, just started reading it a few days ago...

People tell me that the books get really slow and boring by the middle of the series. While its usually against my policy to force myself to read books I don't like because the series gets better "later" I'm making an exception for WoT because the last few books were written by Brandon Sanderson.

If you want to get me to do something, don't offer me a Klondike Bar. Promise me a new Brandon Sanderson book.

Return to “Other Media”