2021 U.S. Open

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

2021 U.S. Open

Postby jon » August 30th, 2021, 8:15 am

Well is this anticlimactic or anticlimactic. No Federer or Nadal. Things will go into boring mode if Djoker loses.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 2021 U.S. Open

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 30th, 2021, 4:53 pm

First Nadal and Williams, and now no Federer?!? Anticlimactic is right!
I was really looking forward to this!
Looks like Djokovic is going to sail right on through.

jon

Postby jon » August 30th, 2021, 6:13 pm

This young era has no one that I like at all. It seemed like there were always tennis players I was fans of and rooted for, like Courier, Agassi or Roddick. But what is it now. They're all unlikeable. Zverev, Medvedev, Thiem the defending champion who's also not in the field.

I was looking at the night schedule and it's Medvedev in primetime. That'll take some getting used to, as in never watching. I was going to say why not put an American in primetime instead. I thought about Isner. But he just lost in straights to Brandon Nakashima.

jon

Postby jon » September 8th, 2021, 7:17 pm

The media sure is trying to hype up the "next gen". They can talk about Zverev as a person. All I know is half his first serves miss badly and he's inconsistent.

The arrogance of whoever is in charge to only show 1 or 2 minute clips of full matches will hopefully backfire on them. Let's see how popular things are when the big 3 is gone. Even these tournaments with only Djokovic, if he loses it might as well be college indoor volleyball or something. He has what may be a tough matchup coming up tonight against Berrettini in the quarters.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 8th, 2021, 8:19 pm

jon wrote:They're all unlikeable. Zverev, Medvedev, Thiem the defending champion.

Zverev is a poor mans Del Potro. Medvedev, cannot stand this guy. Compared to fellow countrymen Marat Safin, night and day difference between the charisma and character brought onto court. Thankfully the women's game is picking up, some surprising results lately, might avoid mens tennis altogether once the big three hang up their rackets. I do not care who wins the US open on the mens side outside of Djorkovic - would like to be alive to see someone claim all 4 GS in one year, Rod Laver quite before my time. On womens side I find myself mildly supportive of Emma Raducanu given she is the most "unknown" and outsider on the tour, would be one heck of a fairytale. I know the Brits are going crazy with how well she is doing. Seems like a really nice down to earth girl as well.

jon

Postby jon » September 9th, 2021, 9:48 pm

When I saw Djoker play (it's the only tennis match I went to since like 1990) in 2011, it was much different than recent years. He had only 2 majors, having just won the 2011 Australian Open. But he didn't have that many fans back then. You have to understand, Nadal and Federer at that time had probably 16 and 10 slams at that point. I was rooting for Djoker in those days because I was a Federer fan and wanted someone to beat Nadal.

Not to be self centered, but he was struggling early in that match, and I cheered him on when he won a point. He looked at me. Ok, maybe I'm making it to be more than it was. But the point is that he didn't have that many fans.

Anyways, he's going to have to take down Zverev (tomorrow) and Medvedev most likely. About Medvedev, I agree. When he starts talking, at first I want to tell him to stop, then I want to make him with duct tape. Then I want to use a gun.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 11th, 2021, 11:12 am

When the big three go it will be disappointing for tennis, at least their epic and titanic battles against each other. Without a Djorkovic Nadal match or one with Federer it feels empty. Of course this generation was not without other fierce competitors, I always felt if Wawrinka, Murray, or Del Potro brought their A game they could upset the big three and so it proved. Nobody arising from the field that looks like they can take that mantle. Anyway, good luck to Djorkovic, I think he will do it and it will be an amazing feat. After that I hope Nadal takes a couple of slams to lead the field (hopefully AO and Wimbledon to spread his wins a bit better). I am a Nadal fan after all :D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 11th, 2021, 11:26 am

I've been glued to the tennis all week.

Djokovic had his hands full against Zverev last night. Zverev is a 6'6" beast, but as usual after dropping the first set Djokovic wore him down. That was some quality tennis. One rally lasted 54 shots I think.

I'm really looking forward to the women's match today - or should I say girls? Two 18-year-olds: Raducanu and Fernandez. How can you root against either one of these? Both of these girls look like they are having the time of their lives! Compare their unbridled joy to the top women like Serena and Osaka who look like they'd rather be in a dentist chair.

jon

Postby jon » September 12th, 2021, 9:37 am

Here we are, the moment of truth. You know what that means. That means I might never be upset again that I had tickets for the Djokovic-Fish match, instead of the Federer-Nadal match later that day in 2011. I was fortunate to see the legendary Mardy Fish. How did I not realize that at the time.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 12th, 2021, 11:03 am

The women's final was so great I found myself getting emotional during the trophy presentations.

Tennis is lucky. Raducanu and Fernandez are two great sports(wo)men who can represent the sport well for decades to come. I hope their retain that passion and never let it go sour.

Return to “Other Media”