James Bond as a Woman??

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

James Bond as a Woman??

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 21st, 2021, 8:11 pm

There have been some rumors swirling that the next 007 will be a woman - specifically a "woman of color". Hopefully it won't be Whoopie Goldberg.

As a James Bond fan I find it all very insulting, but I'd like to hear your take.

My buddy Eric sent me this link of Daniel Craig being against it.

https://dailycaller.com/2021/09/21/dani ... WjEGjTyqpk

Personally I'd like Craig to continue in the role for as long as possible, as he's my favorite Bond by far.

Crummylion

Re: James Bond as a Woman??

Postby Crummylion » September 21st, 2021, 9:31 pm

Common trend nowadays of gender and race swapping characters. I won't deny it's been a thing forever, but I feel like this sort of thing is Hollywood low-key admitting they can't write good characters anymore. Just recycle beloved stories or change a few aspects, and pat yourself on the back. Seems more like harm than good. Whether your thought are on Atomic Blond and Tenant, I genuinely commend the writers for trying something different.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 21st, 2021, 11:29 pm

Crummylion wrote:I feel like this sort of thing is Hollywood low-key admitting they can't write good characters anymore. Just recycle beloved stories or change a few aspects, and pat yourself on the back.

I think is a reflection of very little willingness to take risks, as well as our current culture of "male toxicity". Blend them up and you might as well re-make every popular movie while switching male characters for female. Then they can convince themselves they've really done something great for society. When, in reality, they either aren't creative enough to come up with new ideas (hence a billion sequels, origin stories, and remakes), scared to try new ideas, and/or can't write great female characters. All of which are really depressing thoughts to a guy like me that enjoys going to movies but is tired of and will no longer go to the MCU, Star Wars, and Fast/Furious films.

And, yes, I am aware of the potential hypocrisy in my own statements between not wanting all these sequels and desperately wishing there were new Bond movies more frequently than every 5 years. But my least favorite part of the Daniel Craig era has been the universe/continuity part. Just give me stand-alone adventures that feature James Bond. I don't want or need them all connected!

/end rant

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 21st, 2021, 11:40 pm

Hollywood are not short of money, it would be quite easy for them to start up a James Bond or Mission Impossible like series and fill their diversity quota however they wish. Getting a new franchise off the ground will be easier than adapting or modifying an old franchise. James Bond has an established fan base and it would be difficult enough to fill Craig's shoes as it is. Scripting an entirely new character taking the 007 role would accentuate that risk. Bond, like Star Wars, has a devoted and rather vocal fanbase so the writers/directors should not bank on media proliferation to draw the punters in.

VideoGameCritic wrote:but I'd like to hear your take.

Entertainment is in a race to see who wins the Virtue Signaling pie eating contest. Someone forgot that slow and steady wins the race.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Personally I'd like Craig to continue in the role for as long as possible, as he's my favorite Bond by far.

Best modern bond without a doubt. Something appealing about Connery though as well.

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » September 22nd, 2021, 3:22 am

If they establish that "007" is a codename, they can have a female 007 if they want. But she might have to take another name. I've seen all Bond films up to Goldeneye, but after that I lost interest, and since they already went blonde, they might as well go black or female or whatever now? I don't like the trend of changing old traditions in movies, but I can't really work up much fuss about it either.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 22nd, 2021, 3:41 am

if they do that the series is DEAD.

Look at Dr Who. Put a female in the role. Halved the viewing figures. Admittedly they used a female who is so wooden she might as well be a tree.

It is the kiss of death in America. Over here in the UK it would be the kiss of death.

They could use a person of color. xXx part 1. A big success. Ice Cube takes over in the sequel and the movie is a mega bomb. xxx3 has diesel again in the movie reprising the role but the damage had already been done.

I suggest a female in the lead role in Mission impossible.. Nathan has a sex change.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » September 22nd, 2021, 4:12 am

James Bond is dude, period. I mean, if they want to come up with a women as a secret agent, can't they come up with an original story? I think I would find that more interesting. Don't even get me started on all of this race/gender nonsense that is going on in this country.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 22nd, 2021, 8:27 am

This rumor is still going around? I'd heard this being discussed a year or two ago; you'd think that the attempted reboot of the Ghostbusters would show that certain things do not get the people to pay...

jon

Postby jon » September 22nd, 2021, 9:47 am

How about a compromise. Felicia Leiter as CIA contact.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 22nd, 2021, 11:57 am

Yeah, the numbers will speak for themselves. It would make more since to build one from the ground up, and I agree that most Bond fans won’t watch anymore after Craig is gone. He set the bar super high.

Return to “Other Media”