James Bond as a Woman??

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Gleebergloben123

Re: James Bond as a Woman??

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 23rd, 2021, 10:59 am

ASalvaro wrote:Hollywood keeps proving over and over they are willing to lose a TON of money to push their agenda

And someone doesn’t know how to respect VGC rules regarding political talk.

And the franchise wants to make Bond a black man? Fine. A white or black woman? No problem. I also found it interesting how many people (not here) hated on Ghostbusters because the leads were (gasp!) women! They only make up a scant 50% of the population! And white men have been sadly underrepresented in Hollywood :roll: .

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 23rd, 2021, 11:55 am

David wrote: When I think of James Bond I just think of a cool, good looking British dude.

If they're smart - not necessarily ethical - they're floating those rumors in order to get everyone excited for a return to the status quo. Every single time the series has taken risks, the movies that follow are more conventional than ever.

Besides, the people who gave us Jinx aren't qualified to speak for a black woman in anything.

If they had the slightest clue, then Black Widow wouldn't have been the first female James Bond movie. Or was it Atomic Blonde? Salt? La Femme Nikita? I can keep going. Emma Peel?

But let's stick with Black Widow, since she's modern and very much in the mainstream. And her movie is the best we can realistically hope for- it has all kinds of wasted potential, none of which remains the second the shareholders demand the movie become expensive and stupid. Kind of like Spectre. And Quantum of Solace. And Die Another Day. And...

It's kind of hard to avoid these lists, when talking about the failures of the Bond franchise to make the most out of itself.

If we get a black woman playing James Bond, it will be through the same studio process that gave us multiple failures to adapt Dark Phoenix, plus the self-contradictory mess that is Rey Skywalker, and Wonder Woman '84. If Hollywood can't even be trusted with a white woman's story? How is this going to be any different?

Lashana Lynch is already dealing with enough ugliness just for being a black woman playing a 00 agent. And she's doing everything right.

If she becomes 007? The amount of hate headed her way will only magnify. If she makes the slightest mistake - or does anything that can be spun as a mistake - it will be held against her, by the usual suspects. It's not like any of the white men involved ever suffer the same consequences.

And what will be the end result of the experiment? More opportunities for black women in Hollywood? Or just a chance for the Bond franchise to say "We're sorry for claiming sexual assault can "cure" lesbians. Look how far we've come! Please be excited for this brief pause before we find our next **real** James Bond."?

I'm betting on the latter.

"Bond can be of any colour, but he is male.

"I’m not particularly interested in taking a male character and having a woman play it."

-Barbara Broccoli.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 23rd, 2021, 12:07 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:Hollywood keeps proving over and over they are willing to lose a TON of money to push their agenda

Ranting about diversity always seems to get a free pass.

And the franchise wants to make Bond a black man? Fine. A white or black woman? No problem. I also found it interesting how many people (not here) hated on Ghostbusters because the leads were (gasp!) women! They only make up a scant 50% of the population! And white men have been sadly underrepresented in Hollywood :roll: .

Anyone who claims they knew the movie would be that bad before the trailer dropped is a liar. Anyone who claims there was no hate before the trailer dropped is either a liar or the most innocent fetus to ever log on to the internet.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 23rd, 2021, 3:57 pm

In retrospect, it seems like this whole controversy was concocted by the media, especially now that we know where Daniel Craig and Barbara Broccoli stand on the matter. I guess I fell for the click bait. The internet really sucks man.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 23rd, 2021, 4:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:In retrospect, it seems like this whole controversy was concocted by the media, especially now that we know where Daniel Craig and Barbara Broccoli stand on the matter. I guess I fell for the click bait. The internet really sucks man.

I concur, and YARP

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 23rd, 2021, 6:38 pm

Well at least we are not talking about those interminable comic book movies. The first couple were okay but they carry on and on and on. I do think they could make the incredible Hulk a hulkess. Think about it, the character has not evolved in years and he is an American icon.
Why stop there. The last Black widow movie was tragic. Perhaps they could remake it and have the Black widow as a man. A trans man, the black widow was a woman and now is man. Just think how good that could be.

Further appeal in Star Trek discovery, they could make Commander Boredom a man. Maybe the series would be less boring.

Or make Modesty Blaze a transvestite, an androgynous one at that. Oh for those of your do not remember she was an atrocious 60s attempt at a female James Bond. Yep, it has already been tried. I seem to remember it had the humour of the British Carry on movies but was a spy drama.

Lastly, they could make Dr Who a man, No that is too far fetched.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 23rd, 2021, 8:12 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:I also found it interesting how many people (not here) hated on Ghostbusters because the leads were (gasp!) women!

My wife is a prominent feminist and activist - some Twitter users here will almost certainly know her. She thought the new Ghostbusters was crap despite liking the older films. We both watched the film with extremely low expectation because neither of us are great fans of the actresses in it. Even if folks are resistant to changes, it is still too easy to draw parallels with the concept that if you dislike one actress you must necessarily dislike them all.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 23rd, 2021, 8:41 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Gleebergloben123 wrote:I also found it interesting how many people (not here) hated on Ghostbusters because the leads were (gasp!) women!

My wife is a prominent feminist and activist - some Twitter users here will almost certainly know her. She thought the new Ghostbusters was crap despite liking the older films. We both watched the film with extremely low expectation because neither of us are great fans of the actresses in it. Even if folks are resistant to changes, it is still too easy to draw parallels with the concept that if you dislike one actress you must necessarily dislike them all.

I thought it was going to be a good movie. So I went to see the movie. It was the plot that killed. It lacked the spark that made the other movies so good. Plus it was fairly forgettable.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 23rd, 2021, 9:21 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:I thought it was going to be a good movie. So I went to see the movie. It was the plot that killed. It lacked the spark that made the other movies so good. Plus it was fairly forgettable.

A poor script and plot killed it for me and for a series that reveled in clever scenarios and intelligent humor, this was lacking. It was romcom stuff essentially and actress choices did not help. There are way better female leads out there. I recollect the director being all pissy and politicizing it's failures by blaming a particular demographic, a demographic that later showed up in droves when Black Panther made bank at the box office. If you make a good film, or at least one that works, people will inevitably show up.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » September 23rd, 2021, 9:36 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:

The problem with Ghostsbusters was that the producers were more worried about pushing the agenda than que quality of the movie itself, the leads being women wasn't the problem of course, both Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wig two very funny actresses, it was a shit movie plain and simple, it didn't matter if the leads were the original cast, women or aliens, a shit movie is a shit movie.

Return to “Other Media”