Worst Movie Sequels

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Worst Movie Sequels

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 2nd, 2021, 7:42 am

Alucard1191 wrote:I thought the whole time travel story line in MIB3 was awful. I enjoy the first two, but never watching that again.

As for my real pick, Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Holy crap that was awful. Really enjoyed the first one. Loved seeing Colin Firth of all people as a bad ass. The 2nd one is crude, gross, bad, so over the top unbelievable as to be insanely stupid, and is absolutely my pick for 'worse sequel.

I agree it was shockingly bad.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 2nd, 2021, 7:49 am

newmodelarmy wrote:
strat wrote:Hangover 2 was such a blatant clone of the first one I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

The new Star Wars trilogy should be on here. Episode VII was passable, VIII and IX were each worse than the last.
]]

I liked Hangover 2, many funny parts. That said, you stole my thunder, I completely agree with you on SW Episode VIII and IX, not only are they bad sequels but may be the two worst movies ever made.

H2 was okay.
JJ Lens flare Abrahams was involved in the star wars reboots. That is always a bad sign. Who would have thought that they would make movies to elevate the George Lucas trilogy part 2?, Pod racing was fun but... Then JJ rewrote SW A new hope twice. Then lets not forget get about Solo and that was terrible but the worst is yet to come, yep the Last Jedi. Wow!!! Made by the guy who made the seriously boring looper. All of them had the plot of a you tube movie with the budget of a small country. Its Mary Poppins in space. Dropping un powered bombs in space. Hey there is no gravity so they would not drop.
Last edited by BlasteroidAli on October 2nd, 2021, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 2nd, 2021, 7:55 am

After my first viewing od VIII, I got the impression that the writer and director were taking inspiration from WWII films, with Dreadnought shelling a base, an enemy fleet chasing you, ships running out of fuel stopping near dead in their tracks, and a bombing run using easy to hit bombers. Oh and a side trip to Monte Carlo for a slight change in scenery.

I think someone forgot to say "you know this is a series in space and not on water, right?"

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 2nd, 2021, 7:56 am

MSR1701 wrote:Star Wars Episode II.

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier and Star Trek (IX) - Insurrection are the worst ST Movie sequels, although one can say that Star Trek II was part of an exclusive club where the sequel was significantly better than the original movie (I am one of a few that enjoy the first Star Trek film). The only other example I can think of where a sequel was superior to the original was Disney's Rescuers Down Under.

On to other Dud Sequels:

Mortal Kombat Annihalation (I actually enjoy this movie because of how horrid it is)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (the first Mechagodzilla movie was VERY good, the sequel...had moments, but the monster fights were a bore in comparison)
Alien 3 (easily the low point of the first four movies in the franchise)
Alien vs Predator 2 (oh my, and I thought Alien vs Predator 1 was a dud...)

I liked all the Star trek movies until JJ Abrahams made the new sequels, the first movie was an original rip off of a voyager story. Then the Cumberbatch trashed Khan, utter trash and the Fast and furious director made the worst Star trek movie in Beyond... good taste.
I loved the first Star Trek movie.... right up to the last one. Picard was awesome as a Captain as was Kirk.

Alien 3, watch the work print it is a lot better. They cut most of the effects out of it. Though set it on a prison planet, full of rapists. Who are you going to be rooting for? The alien of course, they get what they deserve.
AVP 2. Yep the first movie was a dud but the second one had it moments but it was a sequel to a dud.

For me the worst sequel would have to be Alien Covenant. Wow that was a movie that did not need to be made. For a start the mystery is what is good about the series. Where did the aliens come from? That is a plot idea that never should have got off the drawing board and if it did they should have got a SF writer to write the plot.

They go down to the planet coz they hear a John Denver song? That is the excuse? The second in charge is a cleric? Wow. Even at the start you knew it was going to suck. It just gets worse. So they go down to the planet not wearing space suits, there is no airlock on the ship. One shot from a shotgun can destroy it.

If I go on I will get annoyed. When I left the movie hall I phoned all my pals and told them Alien was dead as a series.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 2nd, 2021, 8:31 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Star Wars Episode II.

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier and Star Trek (IX) - Insurrection are the worst ST Movie sequels, although one can say that Star Trek II was part of an exclusive club where the sequel was significantly better than the original movie (I am one of a few that enjoy the first Star Trek film). The only other example I can think of where a sequel was superior to the original was Disney's Rescuers Down Under.

On to other Dud Sequels:

Mortal Kombat Annihalation (I actually enjoy this movie because of how horrid it is)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (the first Mechagodzilla movie was VERY good, the sequel...had moments, but the monster fights were a bore in comparison)
Alien 3 (easily the low point of the first four movies in the franchise)
Alien vs Predator 2 (oh my, and I thought Alien vs Predator 1 was a dud...)

I liked all the Star trek movies until JJ Abrahams made the new sequels, the first movie was an original rip off of a voyager story. Then the Cumberbatch trashed Khan, utter trash and the Fast and furious director made the worst Star trek movie in Beyond... good taste.
I loved the first Star Trek movie.... right up to the last one. Picard was awesome as a Captain as was Kirk.

Alien 3, watch the work print it is a lot better. They cut most of the effects out of it. Though set it on a prison planet, full of rapists. Who are you going to be rooting for? The alien of course, they get what they deserve.
AVP 2. Yep the first movie was a dud but the second one had it moments but it was a sequel to a dud.

For me the worst sequel would have to be Alien Covenant. Wow that was a movie that did not need to be made. For a start the mystery is what is good about the series. Where did the aliens come from? That is a plot idea that never should have got off the drawing board and if it did they should have got a SF writer to write the plot.

They go down to the planet coz they hear a John Denver song? That is the excuse? The second in charge is a cleric? Wow. Even at the start you knew it was going to suck. It just gets worse. So they go down to the planet not wearing space suits, there is no airlock on the ship. One shot from a shotgun can destroy it.

If I go on I will get annoyed. When I left the movie hall I phoned all my pals and told them Alien was dead as a series.

I gave up on Aliens after seeing Prometheus, howly crap that was a dud. Great to see the Space Jockey again, but the rest...

strat

Postby strat » October 2nd, 2021, 8:58 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Star Wars Episode VIII shows what happens when you make a movie that embraces the philosophy of the original series, without understanding what fans actually want to see.

I'm not a Star Wars fan, per se, but some competent writing would be appreciated. Instead of that baffling switcheroo where Finn and Rose get arrested before they can even approach the much-hyped "master codebreaker" only to end up with some schmoe in a jail cell, why couldn't he be the actual master codebreaker with gambling debts or something? Two characters for one plot thread, one of them dead weight.

The original trilogy wasn't perfect - I never really liked how Vader only had to save his son to redeem himself, but it was built up and had an emotional pay-off. Does anybody know what Kylo Ren did to merit his dad that he killed showing up to say he's no longer a bad guy? Because I'm not watching that manipulative piece of lazy writing again to figure it out.

Then lets not forget get about Solo and that was terrible but the worst is yet to come, yep the Last Jedi. Wow!!!

Solo definitely isn't terrible.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 2nd, 2021, 11:45 am

;) Yeah though it did not claim to be a prequel. It was dodgy but if you can believe it,
Alien Covvie is worse. Think I watched it and left my brain at the door. I thought it was good fun Promy e thee us. Then my pal saw it and explained to me how awful it was. I saw it and did not get the alien connection at all. I had to watch it again then.. as an Alien movie and it was a dud.
Last edited by BlasteroidAli on October 2nd, 2021, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 2nd, 2021, 11:48 am

Almost forgot, Transformers Rise of the Fallen, where the only memorable good part that comes to mind was the modernization of Soundwave...

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 2nd, 2021, 3:17 pm

strat wrote:I'm not a Star Wars fan, per se, but some competent writing would be appreciated.

You didn't think the Rey/Kylo/Luke parts were competent writing?

We agree to disagree.

strat

Postby strat » October 2nd, 2021, 4:03 pm

It blew most of its potential by once again making Kylo a whiny punk who got to kill an established character. The basic idea of it was fine, but it could've been done better.

Return to “Other Media”