New Ghostbusters movie

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
BlasteroidAli

New Ghostbusters movie

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 28th, 2021, 12:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR-WxNVLZhQ&ab_channel=Ghostbusters
So Jason Reitman is following in his fathers footsteps. When it first came up (a promo trailer last night when i was watching the Awesome Dune movie) I was like, wow a new Goonies movie. Then I was like, it must be Stranger things the movie. Then it turns out to be ghostbusters. I for one have trepidation about this movie as it does not look that much fun. Nor does it look funny.
https://videogamecritic.com/nesnn.htm?s=3#rev5560
It makes me wonder if there is going to be a game tie in with the movie. Lets hope my fears are unfounded. After all can it be as bad as the all female ghostbusters? Nope, nothing can be as bad as that cringeworthy pile of cow dung.

Zack Burner

Re: New Ghostbusters movie

Postby Zack Burner » October 28th, 2021, 5:20 pm

I think this will be the true good one, as this will have the old cast members reprising their respective roles, plus if you haven't seen the new trailers, a successor to Slimer, mini Sta-Pufts, and Zuul as well. We'll also see Janine and Dana as well! I would hold off judgement until you've actually seen the movie.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 28th, 2021, 6:01 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/oct/11/ghostbusters-afterlife-jason-reitman-paul-rudd-review
this liberal paper I read did not like it. I may go and see it. Though the promo I saw last night looked fun it missed the comedic fun of the first movie though it may be better than the sequels. We just do not know.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4513678/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_4 The reviews on Imdb are polarised.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 28th, 2021, 6:18 pm

I love the original Ghostbusters, and this preview makes me not want to see the movie.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 28th, 2021, 8:29 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I love the original Ghostbusters, and this preview makes me not want to see the movie.

As much I love the original Ghostbusters with all my heart (in fact it's one of my all-time favorite movies), I've waited 30+ long years for a true ghostbusters sequel and this year I will get my wish. Like an old saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover", so don't let the preview alone weigh you down. I actually liked the version with the women, I don't understand the hate and backlash that got, I find that uncalled for. I suggest to all Ghostbusters fans to at least give Afterlife a chance when it comes out. I'm a protector of the underrated, I give things that didn't get the respect they deserve what it needs, more attention.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 28th, 2021, 10:01 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I love the original Ghostbusters, and this preview makes me not want to see the movie.

I've never understood the investment people have in sequels and reboots and remakes and all that nonsense. If I like a movie, I don't need a worse version of the premise squeezing more cash out of it. Why did anyone give a crap about the lady one "betraying the fans" when Ghostbusters II already sucked? How has anyone convinced themselves that the world needs a Ghostbusters III? It's a vanishingly rare miracle for a sequel to justify itself at all, and people somehow keep buying the lie of branding and keep disappointing themselves instead of taking the hint and getting a clue. Practically none of these movies exist for any reason beyond money.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 28th, 2021, 10:14 pm

Stalvern wrote: How has anyone convinced themselves that the world needs a Ghostbusters III? It's a vanishingly rare miracle for a sequel to justify itself at all, and people somehow keep buying the lie of branding and keep disappointing themselves instead of taking the hint and getting a clue. Practically none of these movies exist for any reason beyond money.

I see your point Stalvern, if anyone remembers the Poltergeist movies with the cute Heather O'Rourke, the only reason a third was produced was for one reason: money! The second movie was justifiable as it provided a nice backstory despite not coming up to the heights of the original. As for the 3rd, forget about it. Nothing except the lead young actress (who to make matters worse, died before the film was released, and if that wasn't bad enough, the producers had to put in a stand-in for one final scene that had to be retaken, not that it would have saved the film with the original either). Everything about the 3rd Poltergeist movie was awful. Bravo MGM for being so heartless on Heather O'Rourke's account!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 28th, 2021, 10:25 pm

I don't want to derail too badly, but Poltergeist II is not an example I'd pick for a sequel that isn't a cash-in.

vein

Postby vein » October 29th, 2021, 5:30 am

Stalvern wrote:I've never understood the investment people have in sequels and reboots and remakes and all that nonsense. If I like a movie, I don't need a worse version of the premise squeezing more cash out of it. Why did anyone give a crap about the lady one "betraying the fans" when Ghostbusters II already sucked? How has anyone convinced themselves that the world needs a Ghostbusters III? It's a vanishingly rare miracle for a sequel to justify itself at all, and people somehow keep buying the lie of branding and keep disappointing themselves instead of taking the hint and getting a clue. Practically none of these movies exist for any reason beyond money.

This. Do audience's really just want constant rehashes? Greed and laziness IMO. Take a risk!

Tron

Postby Tron » November 3rd, 2021, 10:56 pm

I loved the first 2 Ghostbusters. Yes the second movie too, after all it was Nintendo controllers that the G-bustas used to save the city.

I like sequels generally if they come out within a year or two of each other. But now? No thanks. No interest in female version after I saw a pic of them and none of them looked hot or slutty. New dudes as same characters is lame. Didn’t want to see the new Star Treks either. Old dudes reprising their roles? No thanks they were old already back then. Senior Ghostbusters sounds lame. Senior anything is lame. New dudes as new characters would be the best bet. Still they would have to go for an R-rating at this point to make me consider it. Wait forget that. I’m not watching any new Ghostbusters movie ever. Ghostbusters is so 80’s. It needs to stay in the 80’s. Nowadays we need movies like COVID-19Busters or the unvaccinatedbusters.

Return to “Other Media”