Pixies

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Pixies

Postby jon » February 27th, 2022, 8:32 am

I just recently got into these guys (and girl) after not listening to them since I was a teenager pretty much. I kind of thought maybe it wasn't my thing anymore. But a couple months ago I started listening to them again after 20 years and I'm loving it. Any fans?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Pixies

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2022, 12:02 pm

Got hooked on them in college and been a big fan ever since. Very edgy yet tuneful. Are they coming out with a new album?

jon

Postby jon » February 27th, 2022, 4:15 pm

Apparently Black Francis has 40 songs ready for a new album. I don't even know why I didn't listen to these guys from when I was like 19 until now. I always loved their albums through 1991's Trompe Le Monde, the last one before the extended breakup. But I'm such a hypocrite when it comes to listening to recent albums from old bands. Because I'll always listen to an old grindcore band's new record or when a forum member mentioned the last 2 Warrant albums, which are fantastic. But I still haven't listened to any Lemonhead's album since their album in 1996, or the Pixies since Trompe Le Monde.

One of the first things I realized while getting back into the Pixies is how loud and dare I say heavy they are. Their drummer plays really interesting. They have to be one of the most influential bands of all time.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » February 27th, 2022, 4:33 pm

jon wrote:Any fans?

Absolutely!
jon wrote:...since I was a teenager...

You and me both. Heard Doolittle when I was in high school, and, well... the rest is history.
VideoGameCritic wrote:Are they coming out with a new album?

They've had three studio-length albums since they "reformed" in the 2000s. Keep in mind that Kim Deal is no longer part of the lineup - as long as you can get past this, then the albums make for an entertaining time.

Indie Cindy is a collection of recent EPs, and it makes for a fun listen. Kind of experimental and all over the place, though. They also hadn't quite found their ideal Kim replacement yet, some some of the tracks feature various guest vocalists trying to fill the void - with mixed results.

Head Carrier was the first full album with the current lineup. Better and more focused than the above album, but I think I've only listened to it two or three times. It was fine for what it was.

Beneath the Eyrie is their most recent album, from 2019. I love it!! Has a creepy, detached vibe that sounds pretty far removed from their previous work. Apparently it was recorded in some spooky, abandoned cathedral that was renovated into a studio space. I actually think it makes for a pretty good Halloween album.

Of the three, it's the one I recommend. All three are also available on vinyl, if you're interested in that sort of thing. But if you're expecting any of them to top your favorites from back in the day, well... don't.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 27th, 2022, 7:19 pm

Never heard the comeback stuff, but Bossanova is their best album.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 28th, 2022, 3:36 pm

Stalvern wrote:Never heard the comeback stuff, but Bossanova is their best album.

I agree, I first heard them in 1990 and thought they were a bit indie for me. Then fell in love with the album. It remains a favourite of mine.

jon

Postby jon » February 28th, 2022, 8:30 pm

Stalvern wrote:Never heard the comeback stuff, but Bossanova is their best album.

That might be the best one. How about the last part of “The Happening”. It’s freaking epic.

The bassist that replaced Kim Deal is the girl that was the bassist with Zwan. Talk about good bands. I remember her from the 2 times I saw Zwan. Billy Corgan was making out with her or something lol. Looking back on it it's amazing that me and my friend saw them twice in such cool venues were there weren't a zillion people. Seeing Billy Corgan in a smallish venue was great. Granted there were several thousand people there. The 2nd one wasn't as packed. But definitely some of my best concert experiences. They were great live. Zwan also has a hour long video that comes with some copies of their album. It's a documentary of Billy Corgan spending time in Key West or something. It was really cool. Definitely recommended.

jon

Postby jon » March 3rd, 2022, 2:56 pm

And on cue (obviously) the Pixies just released a new single yesterday "Human Crime", their first new music in 2 years. It's good. They have a lot of tour dates. I'm not sure if they're still as popular as they were with Kim Deal. That does seem like a big hole to fill.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » March 3rd, 2022, 3:37 pm

jon wrote:And on cue (obviously) the Pixies just released a new single yesterday "Human Crime", their first new music in 2 years. It's good. They have a lot of tour dates. I'm not sure if they're still as popular as they were with Kim Deal. That does seem like a big hole to fill.

Whoaaaaaaa. I know this thread isn't about The Police, but talk about synchronicity!

I think they've done a good job of moving on from Kim. My understanding of things is that it was her choice to not continue to record or perform with them. I'm quite all right with that. Let her handle her own business while the band moves forward. In that respect, I think they've done pretty well for themselves.

On a related note, did anyone enjoy The Breeders, back in the day? I still have Pod and Last Splash, the latter of which I listen to fairly often. I think it's a great road-trip album. I also have a copy of Pacer by The Amps, but I haven't given that one a spin in a while. But I remember liking it quite a bit.

I believe the same artist (Vaughan Oliver) did the cover graphics for both Pixies and The Breeders. I also believe I remember hearing he passed away recently. I enjoyed his style quite a bit, especially his works with acrylic sculpture and lighting, as seen on Bossanova and Last Splash. Pretty unique, attention-grabbing work!

jon

Postby jon » March 3rd, 2022, 9:19 pm

I thought the Breeders and Veruca Salt were good. It's probably aged really well. In the 90's there was (gasp!) Lilith Fair. My brother actually went. But just one of many disappointing things is that where are the new all girl rock bands these days. People don't like rock music anymore. It really annoys me. Granted, there's been literally no good bands to come out this millennium to inspire anyone. Anyone who listens to those wimpy annoying ivy leaguers VW should be sentenced to Hell.

Sometimes I wish we didn't have all this technology so going to concerts and starting bands would be more popular. One of the biggest losses of modern technology is the lack of emphasis on going to concerts and starting bands.

Return to “Other Media”