Cold war nostalgia commercial

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
C64_Critic

Cold war nostalgia commercial

Postby C64_Critic » March 11th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Not sure where/why I stumbled upon this old Wendy's commercial, but I definitely remember seeing it on tv at the time back in the 80's. Funny how one can be nostalgic for a time where "mutually assured destruction" meant that any potential perceived threat or misinterpreted action could mean the end of civilization at any moment. I guess there was just a certain amount in comfort in knowing who the bad guys were? Anyway, it was great as a kid to see corporate America taking pot-shots at the commie bastards, even if it was just to try and sell more burgers. Funny stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CaMUfxVJVQ

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Cold war nostalgia commercial

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 11th, 2022, 6:37 pm

This commercial is probably more funny than anything I've seen in THIS century! I actually vaguely remember seeing it on TV. And by the way, I would eat that 40 year old burger!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » March 11th, 2022, 7:47 pm

LOL that is hilarious! I remember it pretty well and it was a great satire. Wendy's knew what they were doing when they made this, we all couldn't stand Russia at that time or rather the Soviet Union. I don't know the year of this but I was either in 7th or 8th grade or in high school. Thanks for sharing I had completely forgotten.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » March 12th, 2022, 5:12 pm

matmico399 wrote:LOL that is hilarious! I remember it pretty well and it was a great satire. Wendy's knew what they were doing when they made this, we all couldn't stand Russia at that time or rather the Soviet Union. I don't know the year of this but I was either in 7th or 8th grade or in high school. Thanks for sharing I had completely forgotten.

It really does perfectly encapsulate the way most of here in the West thought about the Evil Empire at that time; gray, unimaginative, repressive, sad, and unattractive. By contrast 'we' were bright, exciting, inventive, and happy with our society by and large.

I wonder if there'd be a bunch of backlash if such a commercial were released today? "How dare you stereotype people of a different culture! You're fat shaming! This isn't funny, this is a hate crime!"

I could be wrong, but it just feels like people can't take a good-natured(ish) jab at anything any more.

Return to “Other Media”