Photography

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Photography

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2022, 9:46 pm

This article got me thinking...
https://idle.slashdot.org/story/22/04/3 ... s#comments

Back when I had a film camera (80s and 90s) taking pictures was a hassle. You had to buy film, only got 24 shots, couldn't preview them, and had to pay to get them developed. However, those pictures meant something. I would put them into albums and look at them a lot. My family and friends would gather around and laugh.

Today, pictures are so ubiquitous people don't really care. I mean, I upload pics from my phone to the computer but how often do I look at them? Part of the problem is there are so many.

It's really similar to how digital media has "watered down" music, movies, and even games. When something is so common and cheap, people don't really value these things. Am I wrong?

ActRaiser

Re: Photography

Postby ActRaiser » May 5th, 2022, 8:55 am

My wife doesn't have any sort of hobby, except one.

She uploads all of our family pictures taken from her iPhone into Shutterfly. She then builds albums and prints them off. She'll make some for her parents. She'll make some as Christmas gifts. I think we've got four albums for every year based on the seasons alone. Special vacations require their own albums, looking at you Disney World.

Shutterfly even has a build an album for me feature if you're feeling particularly lazy. You're right things have changed, but you can still get the same results in different ways.

comchia

Re: Photography

Postby comchia » May 21st, 2022, 7:24 pm

I certainly see the point about film having its own unique and special feel, in scarcity and aesthetic, but I don't think I'd trade off the ability and convenience to take a picture anywhere I go. I like photography as a way of scribing down various memories spent with friends, family, partner, travelling/grass touching, etc...and it's also good for me to take down informational stuff that my brain struggles to remember.
Nonetheless, just like with vintage computing and gaming, there's a certain type of charm with the aesthetic and function of film photography that I love as well. I'd like a world for both types of picture-taking.

Return to “Other Media”