Obi Wan Kenobi Sucks?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DrLitch

Re: Obi Wan Kenobi Sucks?

Postby DrLitch » June 5th, 2022, 10:35 pm

Obi Wan runs away from Vader.

That is my review, in a nutshell.

Most people would give up like Obi Wan had. That is real life. I do not want real life.

In EP 4 A New Hope, when Vader meets with Obi Wan, his famous line "we meet again at last... where once I was a learner ..." is him taking the piss, mockery. I guess Vader does have a sense of humour.

Unless....

Disney surely would not have Obi Wan rise from the ashes to beat Vader with only a pep talk from force ghost Qui Gon? Please no ...

Grand Inquisitor was killed. But 6 years later he is alive in Rebels. Disney making this stuff up on the fly.

Otherwise it is an enjoyable action romp and I mean that sincerely.

Just do not be an obsessed fan of the series, you will be fine.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 5th, 2022, 11:01 pm

Here I was, worried about potential spoilers - then Litch goes and puts it in extra-large caps! :lol:

I really do feel like Disney just slaps Darth Vader into everything Star Wars, and expects that to, as The Critic would put it, "bump it up by a letter grade." Seemed like the thinking for Rogue One, and now Obi-Wan.

It just feels so cheap at this point, and yet... that's more or less the reason I even bothered to watch Obi-Wan in the first place. Welp, congrats, Disney, ya got me! But I also thought it felt so forced (no pun intended) to work Vader into the show as much as they did.

Without him, I wonder how much differently the show would be received? Would many viewers even care to watch at all? I feel like Disney thinks they need Vader in their Star Wars content to really give them that extra credibility. Myself, I feel all his inclusion does is make their shows seem more derivative, and less original.

Again, it's fan service. I get that, but it's still cheap. Kevin Smith kinda already nailed how I feel here...

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 6th, 2022, 12:15 am

Matchstick wrote:Here I was, worried about potential spoilers - then Litch goes and puts it in extra-large caps! :lol:

Oops did not think of that :lol:

Matchstick wrote: But I also thought it felt so forced (no pun intended) to work Vader into the show as much as they did.

I do wish they would quit with the content set around the time of the Empire. We know the story now. They have so much material from the EU and Old Republic to work with. Darth Vader sells more than Darth Revan or Valkorion in all likelihood. Who knows these characters outside of a handful of video gamers and fans of the show?

Anyway I can enjoy all the new content provided I do not allow myself to be analytical. It is not like the acting or scripting is particularly bad, not when EP 2 AOTC set an all time low for that. Whenever I see a sand dune I think of that horrible line :roll:

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 6th, 2022, 2:28 am

DrLitch wrote:Grand Inquisitor was killed. But 6 years later he is alive in Rebels. Disney making this stuff up on the fly.

Did they seriously call a character the Grand Inquisitor?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 6th, 2022, 11:06 pm

Stalvern wrote:Did they seriously call a character the Grand Inquisitor?

Indeed. Been part of the cannon for a while as well, Vader a mob boss and the Inquisitors his hit men.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 13th, 2022, 6:17 am

I just watched Episode 2. Where the majority of the episode is filler. Wow that was bad.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 13th, 2022, 7:13 am

I really didn’t like when the Grand Inquisitor killed Spock and then went after Mean Joe Greene just for drinking a Coke too fast. That’s just lazy writing.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 13th, 2022, 7:27 am

I watched the first two episodes but won't bother with the rest. I just can't get past the idea that Obi Wan went on a mission to save Princess Leia and somehow that was never mentioned in the 20+ previous movies. Dumb.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » July 13th, 2022, 10:13 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:I really didn’t like when the Grand Inquisitor killed Spock and then went after Mean Joe Greene just for drinking a Coke too fast. That’s just lazy writing.

This absolutely delighted me. Thank you.

Return to “Other Media”