Obi Wan Kenobi Sucks?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Obi Wan Kenobi Sucks?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 1st, 2022, 9:04 pm

As a fan of the prequels, it sounds like I will need to check it out. But I also think I will wait until the entire season is available.

I previously lost interest in the Mandalorian, and I hear Book of Boba Fett is weak.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 1st, 2022, 10:36 pm

After watching 3 eps I suggest you get new friends to talk to.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 1st, 2022, 11:03 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:As a fan of the prequels, it sounds like I will need to check it out. But I also think I will wait until the entire season is available.

I previously lost interest in the Mandalorian, and I hear Book of Boba Fett is weak.

Fan of the prequels?????? OMG here I thought I knew you all these years!!!! Nobody says that out loud! :D

Tron

Postby Tron » June 2nd, 2022, 8:46 pm

Star Wars should’ve made a trilogy in the 90’s. By the time they came out with Jar Jar Binks in 2000 it was too late. Now that Disney is in charge there is no hope for Star Wars. For any of you wise guys out there I Know Tron is Disney, but that is an old different kind of Disney then what they are now. It’s not all Disney’s fault though; the biggest problem is that I just don’t belong in this time period. Maybe some of you old men can dig it. Social norms, language, way people communicate and relate, computer graphics, special interest groups, bland story telling, lack of imagination, rehashing same scenarios and character types and the lack of manly men and feminine women just depresses the heck out of me. I can’t watch new TV or movies anymore for all of those mentioned reasons. I’d rather find some old thing that I missed out on like Logan’s Run. Sure Logan’s Run only has maybe 3 out of 14 episodes that were good, but hey even the lousy is late 70’s early 80’s trash which is better than 2022 goodness.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 4th, 2022, 12:45 pm

It's a bit of a slow burn, but it does pick up by the third episode. Whoever's Disney's got writing for Star Wars seems to like the types of characters Humphrey Bogart played in Key Largo & Casablanca; you know, the disillusioned man who must step up & help when folks need him. That's a bit more cynical than the classic Star Wars stories, but we're living in a more cynical era; perhaps we need stories which show characters becoming less cynical as the plot progresses.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 4th, 2022, 2:57 pm

I have to admit, I’m glad I lost interest in the Star Wars franchise, because it would feel impossible to keep up with everything Disney cranks out.

I used to be, but I felt the prequels were disappointing and 7-9 unnecessary. By the time 9 wrapped up, I felt I no longer cared about the characters.

Worst than that, I watched the Harry Potter movies, and I feel very strongly that as a whole, those movies are significantly better of the two franchises.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 4th, 2022, 4:10 pm

Voor wrote:I’m glad I lost interest in the Star Wars franchise

I'm right there with you, Voor.

I never saw any of the "Sequel Trilogy," mostly because I didn't understand what there was to base any sequels around! In Return of the Jedi, the Death Star blew up (again) The Emperor was dead, and Darth Vader was dead, too. I mean, how much more of a finite ending to Star Wars could there possibly be??

As it stands, I totally lost interest after the prequels - but even by then, my excitement for Star Wars was waning. They're movies for kids. I get that. I believe the quote from George Lucas, himself, is that he more or less makes films for children, or people that are children at heart.

Thing is, after a while, we all grow up. Even Lucas did, when he sold the brand and washed his hands of it.

I still like Star Wars just fine, and I'm glad they keep rolling with it. But like a lot of things I post about on this site, I know that the newest generation of Star Wars content just isn't "for me." If I had kids, I might feel differently. As a grown-ass man, I just don't want to bother keeping up with it all.

In saying all that...

While I don't watch the newer movies or series, I have heard quite a bit about Obi-Wan from friends and whatnot. My wife and I talked it over, then decided to sit down and watch Part 3 the other night. She was a fan of the young Obi-Wan and Anakin characters from the prequels, and I figured it might be fun to just "jump in."

After the episode, my wife thought it would work better with the MST3K treatment. I thought it was fine, myself, though sorta hokey. Definitely full of fan service. "Hey, Kids! IT'S [SPOILER VILLAIN]!! WHOAAAAA!!"

I can't say I'm anxious to watch any more.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 4th, 2022, 8:50 pm

It's a fun action serial, with plenty of comfort food fan service and a bit of a dark side that turns some scenes into horror.

Just like Star Wars has always been.

It's escapism. And in our troubled times, that's far from the worst thing. It's a vacation from your worries, so you can lose some stress and regain your strength.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It's better than most of the movies, but if you're someone who hates seeing heroes show weakness, or villains sadistically toy with their prey, so that good can triumph in the end? Or even runaway princesses? Go find something else. There's plenty of other types of entertainment out there.

Only you know what you're looking for, and whether or not a fairy tale like this was something meant for you.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » June 4th, 2022, 10:38 pm

Cafeman wrote:After watching 3 eps I suggest you get new friends to talk to.

Agreed. I find this show, particularly this episode, very enjoyable. But as I’ve said 1,000 times - watch yourself and make up your own mind.

Only you knows what you like.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » June 4th, 2022, 10:38 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:As a fan of the prequels, it sounds like I will need to check it out. But I also think I will wait until the entire season is available.

If you like the prequels, I think you’ll like it.

Return to “Other Media”