2022 Tennis Season

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
jon

Re: 2022 Tennis Season

Postby jon » June 9th, 2022, 8:47 pm

I watched the Sampras Becker match. It was great. I'd love to see more like that. As the years have gone by I've started to appreciate Sampras more. He was a much better athlete than people realize.

But about Federer. The Federer Henman 2003 match in Paris on carpet late in the season Federer just got destroyed. It's on youtube. It was a predictable match, Federer probably choked the first set away and then it was over. In fact I just watched it and the court was way to fast for Federer. It probably played maybe even as fast as Wimbledon in the 90's.

It's really hard to tell how many majors Federer would've won on pre 2004 (a little earlier for Wimbledon) tour conditions. Because he practically choked away a real opportunity to face Safin in the 2002 Australian Open. It's even harder for Djokovic and Nadal because they pretty much weren't even on tour until the conditions changed. The only thing I think is I really can't see Nadal ever winning Wimbledon on fast grass. I think Nadal is the one who benefitted to be honest.

jon

Postby jon » June 12th, 2022, 6:34 pm

What I want to know and I'm going to see if there's a way to look into this, is how many other players have lost as many match points and even Championship Points and ended up losing the match as Federer. It's unheard of. The great match Dr. Litch mentioned against Safin in the 2005 Australian Open Semifinals Federer had a match point and lost it. Safin ended up beating Hewitt in the Final. Safin is a favorite of mine and he won a major before and after the game slowed down which is quite an achievement. There's the match point Federer lost against Haas in the 2002 Australian Open 4th round. And then of course there's 3 matches at majors when he lost 6 match points in total against Djokovic, including 2 Championship points on his serve at WImbledon. That's unheard of. Both Nadal and Djokovic are mentally strong. I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them lost a match point and then ended up losing the match at a major.

I think besides 2004 when this guy Guillermo Coria lost 2 Championship points at the French Open, Federer is the only player in men's tennis history to lose a major while holding a Championship point in the 53 years of the Open era. And that's not counting all the others I mentioned. Also, he literally had to try to lose to this guy Albert Costa in the QF's Miami in 2003 when he lost at least 1 match point. I'm pretty sure there are others too. This makes me really wonder how he would've done if tour conditions didn't change. What if instead of having a huge edge over the field, the game stayed fast and he was only a little bit better than everyone else. Even the way it is now, he's already 2 majors behind Nadal. I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal's never lost a match he held match point, especially in a major.

Edit: Ok, I did research. Didn't I just finish school for good a few years ago....Apparently, here are the stats:

I was right. Neither Nadal nor Djokovic has ever lost a match at a major while holding match point. That's very predictable because they're extremely mentally tough.

Federer: He's lost 24 matches where he's held match point or Championship Point. Including, get this, losing 6 matches at majors while holding match point or Championship point. Again, that's unheard of.

Nadal has lost 8 matches while holding match point and Djokovic 3. And none in a major for either.

jon

Postby jon » July 1st, 2022, 12:42 pm

I know the big 3 (big 2 haha) aren't going to be around forever. And I am a Djokovic fan. But I kind of would like to see a grand slam with some upsets and a bunch of players who've never won a major battle it out. But I'd have to think Djokovic is a huge favorite. Nadal still hasn't won Wimbledon since 2010 I think.

jon

Postby jon » July 4th, 2022, 2:34 pm

I'm starting to agree with you Dr. Litch that Nadal could've adapted to 90's Wimbledon. I'm seeing him with some impressive serve placement today and he actually did a S&V a couple points ago. A while ago on a tennis forum there was this knowledgeable person who said that Nadal is a better volleyer than Federer. Nadal has a better follow up volley. Very interesting.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 10th, 2022, 12:32 pm

As an nba fan, I can’t help be reminded of Ron Artest when watching Nick. Obviously amazingly gifted, but mentally you don’t t know if he can reign it in to win in these situation.

During that 2nd and 3rd sets, I told my wife that it looks like he’s arguing with the umpire and fans and playing some tennis on the side, lol. Felt like you could watch him unraveling before your eyes.

She thinks it’s just part of his game, like he can’t fully concentrate on the tennis and needs those antics to stay engaged. I think she might be right.

Either way, it was highly entertaining.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2022, 12:53 pm

Great tennis at Wimbledon this year, sorry to see it end.

Today was a great final between Djokovic and Kyrgios - a classic battle between power and balance. As long as Nick's serves were going in, he was in command. When they started to falter, Djokovic was in control.

Kyrgios did come off as a head case, constantly mouthing out even after he won a point. But I think that's just his way of coping with adversity. If you watched him in the post-game interview he seemed like the nicest, most humble guy. Apparently Novac and him used to have bad blood but now they are friendly.

The ladies final was pretty bizarre. Rybakina comes from out of nowhere. Tall and powerful, she's kind of like the Kyrios of the women's side - except she keeps her head and shows zero emotion at all times - even on the winner's stand! LOL

The idea of the next major being in September is disturbing. Seems like summer has just begun!

jon

Postby jon » July 11th, 2022, 1:18 pm

I feel the same way about Kyrgios. I feel like his detractors in the media made me want to dislike him. And I have to admit he wasn’t my favorite. But it’s been a total 180 for me. I’m trying to remember if I actually watched any of his matches before yesterday’s Final or just unflattering moments the media blew up.

I had no idea what Kyrgios’ game was amid all the attention. And he has a really old school game with a great serve. He looked grateful to have reached the Wimbledon Final. I think tennis is different than any sport in that making a major final or even semi is sort of a career milestone. I believe just doing that makes a career a success, maybe unless it was someone hyped to be an all time great. Even making the top 10 at one point is a huge achievement. A perfect example is John Isner. He made the Wimbledon semi’s and it went to a 5th set and he also won Miami, a 1000 event. That’s a career to be proud of. Nothing can ever take away what Kyrgios just accomplished.

Return to “Other Media”