Favorite Team of All Time (Individual)

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
velcrozombie

Re: Favorite Team of All Time (Individual)

Postby velcrozombie » June 10th, 2022, 2:36 pm

The Barry Bonds era of the Pittsburgh Pirates, roughly from 1988-92. That was the first time I remember being excited about sports in general.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 10th, 2022, 7:07 pm

matmico399 wrote:Not to brag but my 2021 national champion Georgia Bulldogs. The whole team, but I think we had the best college defense ever! Only Alabama could penetrate it, and we beat them in the title game. Still enjoying it.

Better than the 2019 LSU Tigers? Didn’t think so. lol…Joking ( kinda).

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » June 10th, 2022, 10:03 pm

Being a bit biased here, but the 2018 Stanley Cup Champions Washington Capitals. From being down 0-2 against Columbus, finally beating Sidney Crosby and the Pens, winning Game 7 on the road against the Lightning, and pulling off an amazing comeback in Game 5 against the Golden Knights. Won all their series on the road. And, of course, Ovechkin's first Stanley Cup.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 12th, 2022, 9:10 pm

The '93 Habs. Also referred to as "The Cardiac Canadiens" due to the fact that they played in a record 11 overtime games in their run to the Stanley Cup, winning ten of those games. Also an NHL record. They were no great shakes in the regular season and after dropping their first two games in their opening round matchup against their provincial rivals the Nordiques, it was looking pretty grim for sure. But thanks to Patrick Roy finding his game (and them some) and some timely scoring from pretty much everybody, they won the next four games to advance, swept aside the Sabres in the 2nd round, eliminated the New York Islanders in five before beating the Gretzky led L.A Kings to win their 24th and last cup in the final. As said, they weren't exactly a world beater during the regular season that year. They were a good team, don't get me wrong. But other than Roy, there were no superstars on this Hab team like there was in the past. Still, they had some good, solid players on the roster that year and they all really stepped up their game when it counted the most. It was truly a memorable run, and I loved every minute of it.

jon

Postby jon » June 15th, 2022, 7:48 pm

I know I’ve mentioned it before but the 1986 Celtics I’ve been watching a lot of their games on YouTube are by far my favorite basketball team of all time. Back then teams played the right way. Actually I’ve watched some of the 1977 Portland Trailblazers title team and it’s a treat. I know some have mentioned here that the 3 point shot has ruined basketball and I wholeheartedly agree. They also used to be extremely strict on traveling and up and downs. And you could hand check the player with the ball. And carrying was called. As the NBA finals are going on I could care less and have watched zippo basketball except the Bucks Bc I love Giannis and he in my opinion has an old school way of playing and have always been huge Pat Connaughton and Grayson Allen fans. But they destroyed basketball with all the things I mentioned.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 16th, 2022, 4:06 am

jon wrote:I know I’ve mentioned it before but the 1986 Celtics I’ve been watching a lot of their games on YouTube are by far my favorite basketball team of all time. Back then teams played the right way. Actually I’ve watched some of the 1977 Portland Trailblazers title team and it’s a treat. I know some have mentioned here that the 3 point shot has ruined basketball and I wholeheartedly agree. They also used to be extremely strict on traveling and up and downs. And you could hand check the player with the ball. And carrying was called. As the NBA finals are going on I could care less and have watched zippo basketball except the Bucks Bc I love Giannis and he in my opinion has an old school way of playing and have always been huge Pat Connaughton and Grayson Allen fans. But they destroyed basketball with all the things I mentioned.

Since you’re a Celtics fan and don’t like three pointers I’ll share with you part of an interview that I remember.

Interviewer: Hey Antoine! Why do you shoot so many 3’s?
Antoine Walker: Cause there ain’t no 4’s.

Haha that was a good one. Antoine was such a character. I actually like the 3 point shot. It spreads the floor out and watching the long ball drop is pretty sweet.

jon

Postby jon » June 18th, 2022, 8:05 pm

I'd have to go with 2019 LSU over 2021 Georgia because LSU went undefeated. I'm still old school and believe that for college football you have to go undefeated to enter the discussion.

The 1995 Nebraska team is one of the best ever. Their "closest" game was 14 points. But I'll tell you which team is not the best ever, not even close to the best ever. That's the 2001 Miami Hurricanes that all those loser Canes fans talk about. They're so pathetic in their worship of that team. They needed a miracle to escape Boston College, who had first and goal to win. Then, they needed another miracle at Virginia Tech with a dropped game tying pass. No greatest team ever has those things happen. They didn't even beat anyone good that year. In my opinion the 2001 team is the worst of all their championship teams. The 1991 team won at top ranked and undefeated FSU and beat a really tough Penn State team.

I'd say 1991 Miami Hurricanes, 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers and 2019 LSU Tigers as the top 3. That 2019 LSU team won at Bama, and it wasn't as close as the score indicated.

jon

Postby jon » July 17th, 2022, 11:11 pm

One thing I find interesting about watching the 1986 Celtics is just how great Larry Bird was. You watch a few games and think, yea he’s great but he isn’t the quickest or fastest guy. And that maybe he’s not that great. But after watching 20-30 games you start to realize that he’s maybe the best player ever. First off, he’s actually deceptively quick. He was quick enough to get past a defender and needed to be double teamed. And he had a lot of steals. He led the team in like every category. He was easily one of the greatest shooters of all time, a 10 rebound a game guy. And an amazing passer with unbelievable instincts to tell how things are going to develop. I’m starting to think he might be the best player of all time. And then you think about how he brought Indiana State to the final. When I think about it, that’s insane. He was one guy and brought them single-handedly to the final. And these 1986 games is after his back injury in the offseason helping paving his mother’s driveway. I’m starting to think he might be the best player of all time.

Return to “Other Media”