Jurassic World Dominion

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Jurassic World Dominion

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 12th, 2022, 7:47 pm

Well, I saw the film today. It was marginal. Way too long, I mean at least an hour too long. I thought it would never end, and I kinda wanted it to. The entire first hour was pointless and dull.

The story was poor. It felt like a rehash of the previous movies. All I could think of was "they PAID someone to write this script??"
I don't think there was ONE memorable line. That's remarkable considering the all-star cast.

The dinosaurs were not terribly scary but they were tiresome. I felt like all the "scares" in this movie had been done before. I wasn't even impressed by the CGI.

I will say there were a few breathless chase sequences that were exciting. And it was kind of neat seeing all the other characters again. But I think I agree with other critics who say this was the worst of the Jurassic movies. I'd probably give it a D.

After this I don't think there will be an appetite for another one.

Cafeman

Re: Jurassic World Dominion

Postby Cafeman » June 12th, 2022, 11:03 pm

I'll stream it some day. Sorry to hear it is the worst! I thought the last one Fallen Kingdom was the worst.

I love JP, I think they should reboot it and be more faithful to the books and lose the Spielberg influences to make it a different feeling film. Just make 2 films - Jurassic Park, and The Lost World.

Also ... anybody else remember MAD Magazine's Jer-ass-has-had-it Park? :D

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 13th, 2022, 2:06 am

Cafeman wrote:I love JP, I think they should reboot it and be more faithful to the books and lose the Spielberg influences to make it a different feeling film. Just make 2 films - Jurassic Park, and The Lost World.

The Lost World was only written because Spielberg wanted to make another movie, and it's very obvious that Crichton was going through the motions for a paycheck. No need to bother with it.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 13th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Cafeman wrote:Also ... anybody else remember MAD Magazine's Jer-ass-has-had-it Park? :D

My Dad had that cover cut out and pinned up in his office at work. So... yes :lol:

My wife was initially excited about this movie, despite not seeing the ones before it. "They brought back Sam Neill!" Then I reminded her Jurassic Park 3 had him in it, as well. We decided to skip Dominion and stay home.

We poisoned our minds over the weekend with Diablo Immortal, instead. No regrets!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 18th, 2022, 12:35 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Cafeman wrote:I love JP, I think they should reboot it and be more faithful to the books and lose the Spielberg influences to make it a different feeling film. Just make 2 films - Jurassic Park, and The Lost World.

The Lost World was only written because Spielberg wanted to make another movie, and it's very obvious that Crichton was going through the motions for a paycheck. No need to bother with it.

I liked the second book.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 17th, 2022, 9:07 pm

I watched the movie and wow!!!!! Wow, it was bad. Everything had been done before. It was just so bad. Also dinos in the snow. they are cold-blooded and would freeze. They should have called it JP Dumb and Dumber. I am not going to watch another one.

The cast was dreadful. Sam Neil and Laura Dern, retirement blockbuster? They looked like they were doing it for the money.

F-

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » July 18th, 2022, 1:17 pm

Watched it yesterday and thought it was utter crap.

I almost turned it off during the awkward scene where the CEO guy was like "He's like me..but younger...and taller....(pssst don't mention he's black...)". So damn fake and awkward.

Then they are all in a classroom with Jeff Goldblum preaching to a unrealistically diverse and hip looking group of early 20 somethings. All women and POC in the front two rows, a few token white guys in the back but they have plugs in their ears and are clearly "cool" so it's okay. Jeff Goldblum is talking about how people aren't the top priority in the planet and how we should let dinosaurs rule and plants rule and all this stupid shit (if you take the time to listen to the gobbledygook he is spewing.)

The movie is WOKE shite and on top of that it's just bad, i was noticing the CGI isn't any better than the original JP from 1993. How is this possible..I don't know but it is. The movie is full of tropes that have been done before, too long, etc etc. Just bad.

I own the first four movies in a Blu Ray box set and am relieved to know i don't need to purchase any more of them. Luckily I downloaded this one and didn't pay a penny to watch it. This is another franchise, like James Bond, that they need to just let die already.

David

Postby David » July 20th, 2022, 9:58 pm

travistouchdown wrote:Then they are all in a classroom with Jeff Goldblum preaching to a unrealistically diverse and hip looking group of early 20 somethings. All women and POC in the front two rows, a few token white guys in the back but they have plugs in their ears and are clearly "cool" so it's okay.

What would a realistically diverse group look like to you?

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » July 21st, 2022, 9:29 pm

Stalvern wrote:The Lost World was only written because Spielberg wanted to make another movie, and it's very obvious that Crichton was going through the motions for a paycheck. No need to bother with it.

At the time in 1997, I felt the film The Lost World was better than the book The Lost World. But you have to give Crichton credit for his invention of site B for the novel. It also had a lot of raptor suspense, and a tense scene with a dinosaur that could camouflage at night. And be expanded on Dodgson which the film version replaced with Hammonds nephew.

And I am more critical of TLW film nowadays. It is too long, with several uninteresting or bad scenes, so-so characters, and it gets kind of boring - all are Spielberg's fault. A reboot being faithful to the 2 books in 2 films could bring the suspense back.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 22nd, 2022, 1:34 pm

Are you saying the original Jurassic Park should be remade to set up another try at The Lost World? What? And why do I have to give Crichton "credit" for one of the laziest retcons ever written?

Return to “Other Media”