Boxing

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
matmico399

Boxing

Postby matmico399 » July 7th, 2022, 8:03 pm

I'm not a young Bird anymore, but I miss the classic days when I was growing up and when I was a young adult up until my 30s. I really really enjoyed the sport of boxing. It would be a spectacle back in the day where somebody would buy the fight on Pay-Per-View, buy a pony keg and everybody pay $15 to $20 to cover the expense. These obviously we're not my childhood years, but my young adult years. I saw so many great fights. Riddick bowe, Holyfield, Tyson, Lennox Lewis and many others. I have known the history of boxing well that were before my time, mainly Joe Louis forward. I just recently started watching classic fights on YouTube. I just watched Frasier Ali I today. Man what a great fight. But boxing doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore these days, it's all about MMA. I'm just not into that and yearn for the old days two men going toe to toe and seeing who wants it more and the psychology behind their techniques and game plans. What do you guys think? I seriously miss it as a marquee sports event. Those were good times.

Tron

Re: Boxing

Postby Tron » November 11th, 2022, 2:36 am

I love mma, but I love boxing too. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a big enough market for both.

I haven’t seen a recent fight in a long time. I have no idea who the champions even are. Whose the heavy champ? Didn’t they create a bunch of factions and split up the belts to make it confusing too?

Also boxers like Mayweather are boring as hell and have ruined the sport. Yippie you played it safe and landed more defensive punches. You win by points. Also I put blame on Lenox Lewis. He was too technical and bland.

Here’s my faves that I still watch.

Mike Tyson - No one had more explosive power.
Ali - No one had more showmanship.
Tommy Morrison - left hook. Unapologetic A-hole.
Hit man Hearns- Pride of Detroit
Macho Camacho - Another great showman
Marvelous Marvin- Scary powerful dude.
Sugar Ray Leonard- guy had style
Mitch Green - funny straight up street thug

Sure I missed some other faves

Tron

Postby Tron » November 11th, 2022, 2:38 am

Tron wrote:I love mma, but I love boxing too. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a big enough market for both.

I haven’t seen a recent fight in a long time. I have no idea who the champions even are. Whose the heavy champ? Didn’t they create a bunch of factions and split up the belts to make it confusing too?

Also boxers like Mayweather are boring as hell and have ruined the sport. Yippie you played it safe and landed more defensive punches. You win by points. Also I put blame on Lenox Lewis. He was too technical and bland.

Gotta edit just to put some love out for Frazier. He was a bad mofo. Sure Ali had more flavor, but Frazier had the power.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 11th, 2022, 7:17 pm

Tron wrote:
Tron wrote:I love mma, but I love boxing too. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a big enough market for both.

Gotta edit just to put some love out for Frazier. He was a bad mofo. Sure Ali had more flavor, but Frazier had the power.[/quote somehow I completely forgot about Hearns. He really was the Hitman they said he was. I was a kid when he was on top but looking at his old fight he was a badass. Those days were great. Frazier and Ali I was just a small child so I didn't see them. But again the magic of YouTube.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » November 11th, 2022, 7:52 pm

matmico399 wrote:I'm not a young Bird anymore, but I miss the classic days when I was growing up and when I was a young adult up until my 30s. I really really enjoyed the sport of boxing. It would be a spectacle back in the day where somebody would buy the fight on Pay-Per-View, buy a pony keg and everybody pay $15 to $20 to cover the expense. These obviously we're not my childhood years, but my young adult years. I saw so many great fights. Riddick bowe, Holyfield, Tyson, Lennox Lewis and many others. I have known the history of boxing well that were before my time, mainly Joe Louis forward. I just recently started watching classic fights on YouTube. I just watched Frasier Ali I today. Man what a great fight. But boxing doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore these days, it's all about MMA. I'm just not into that and yearn for the old days two men going toe to toe and seeing who wants it more and the psychology behind their techniques and game plans. What do you guys think? I seriously miss it as a marquee sports event. Those were good times.

I'm half with you; I used to love boxing as well, and even now will watch old fights and fighters on YouTube. I remember watching Mike Tyson/Razor Ruddock, George Foreman/Holyfield, among others at house parties like you described - everyone brought some booze and paid the house a few bucks and the put on the pay-per-view. For their time these were the toughest men on the planet, but after MMA came on the scene boxing seemed to splinter and wither away, and like many I couldn't even begin to tell you who many of the champs have been over the past 20 years.

I really enjoy MMA, and I think it's pretty much replaced for me what I used to enjoy about boxing. Although MMA for the past few years hasn't registered much on my radar. The PPV events are too expensive take place too late at night for me to enjoy these days, and I'm not nearly as conversant on who the big names are any more. When I still lived in Hawaii it was perfect, because the main card would kick off around 5:00 or 6:00 at night, absolutely perfect timing for me. Now I'd have to stay up until 11:00 or later, and I just don't do that anymore.

Return to “Other Media”