Thor: Love and Thunder any good?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Thor: Love and Thunder any good?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 13th, 2022, 6:20 pm

I'm a big fan of Thor Ragnarok so I'd like to hear what you thought of the latest film.

Shapur

Re: Thor: Love and Thunder any good?

Postby Shapur » July 16th, 2022, 7:46 pm

I guess that depends on why you liked Ragnarok.

I also liked Ragnarok and moving the character in a new direction. That said the only Marvel phase 4 Id rewatch was Spider man and even that’s a tad overrated.

But if you liked the humor and and the visual style of Thor 3 but don’t care about internal logic, or Thor the character could be some fun.

Truthfulpietro

Postby Truthfulpietro » August 23rd, 2022, 7:14 pm

What holds this film back is the humour, plus the main antagonist doesn’t get proper screen time compared to Helga in Thor 3. That said it’s okay. Not good but certainly not horrible.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 24th, 2022, 8:36 am

It probably depends on your perspective. If you watched it pre-screening it to see if it was appropriate for a 6 year old, well, you'll be disappointed. There's no way I'm explaining what a certain word means to my daughter. Having said that there were some great action scenes and it was a fun, and funny movie to watch. I don't think it was as good as Ragnarok but still an enjoyable movie regardless.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 24th, 2022, 5:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm a big fan of Thor Ragnarok so I'd like to hear what you thought of the latest film.

Expect neck breaking tonal whiplash.

The villain is one of the best ever put in a comic book movie; A bit of Job. A bit of Kratos. He reacts how many parents would react in his situation.

Until the part where his villainy needs to get a lot more generic, and he basically becomes the Boogeyman, instead. He's not the focus of the story. I'm not even sure there really is a focus. There's important plot points, sure, and some are even good...but they seem almost obligatory. The movie would much rather chase every shiny distraction that passes by, and it's clear that's where most of the effort went.

When it's not aiming for Spy Kids sequel ambitions.

I'm not joking.

All I'll say on the kid stuff, is that Chris Hemsworth seems to be a really cool dad, and knowing that probably does a better job of justifying this movie's title at the end than the actual script does.

Anyways, it's still a decent popcorn flick. Everyone at my theater enjoyed it.

But it's not the kind of movie that'll hold up to any analysis. It's just escapist junk food. Like a Saturday morning cartoon that randomly inserts scenes from other movies.

Really, the movie I'd recommend instead is Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. It's the real Multiverse of Madness. And it does a way better job of exploring love and the meaning of life than Thor.

Plus, it's way more immature - and way more mature - than either of them.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 16th, 2022, 12:39 pm

Finally got around to watching this with my better half and all I can say is…ugh. I really disliked this film. The story just felt slapped together, the plot with the Asgard kids felt created just so they could shoehorn Guns and Roses’ “Sweet Child of Mine”.
And if the producers were going for a kid-friendly film, fine, but there was some dark imagery with Bale’s character.

It was as if the writers were going for a light, breezy, “Cool Runnings” kinda flick and failed miserably. And I really liked Ragnarok, but since “End Game” the Marvel films have been mediocre at best. For what it’s worth, I thought Christian Bale and Russell Crowe gave memorial performances.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » September 16th, 2022, 8:31 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Finally got around to watching this with my better half and all I can say is…ugh. I really disliked this film.

My feelings as well. I hate to be negative again, because lately so many films have disappointed me. Thor 4 was light entertainment, has some nice scenes, but an awful film. Yes, awful is the word I'm going with. Every somewhat special moment is ruined by more Waititi-directed jokes. The balance that Thor Ragnarak had is lost and the Asgardian Scales dipped towards sucky.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » September 18th, 2022, 12:42 pm

Thor Ragnarok is the better film all around. Love and Thunder tries to replicate what made it's predecessor so good and falls short in all areas. There are some fun moments, but overall I'd call this one a bit of a disappointment.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 18th, 2022, 6:12 pm

Dreadful. Wow, Marvel has sunk to new depths. I thought Black Widow was bad. It was so bad. Female thor? No thanks, Kiddie thor clones. Dumb humour.

Return to “Other Media”