Yugioh (anime and card game)

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
DaHeckIzDat

Yugioh (anime and card game)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 16th, 2022, 11:48 pm

I've always been fascinated by stories where the main means of conflict is a game. Where there are rules that both sides have to adhere to, so the "fights" come down more to outsmarting or outmaneuvering your opponents than overpowering them. I actually hope to write a book like that someday.

Anyway, probably the most famous example of this is the Yugioh manga and anime, and the trading card game that they spawned. Just a couple days ago I started watching the anime on Hulu, expecting it to be the usual kiddie anime crap, and that I'd lose interest after a couple episodes. Instead it hooked me, and I've been watching it every chance I get. I'm almost through with the Duelist Kingdom arc right now.

Watching the show made me want to try the game put myself, so I downloaded Yugioh: Legacy of the Duelist on my PS4 for $5. It's a pretty bare bones affair, but playing the card game turned out to be just as addictive as watching the show.

Anyone else here a fan of the Yugioh franchise? I know there are multiple versions of the show, so which do you like most? Do you like the game? How do you think it stacks up against something like Magic: the Gathering?

Zack Burner

Re: Yugioh (anime and card game)

Postby Zack Burner » July 17th, 2022, 8:30 am

Ah yes Yugioh, a big part of my teen years, though not as big as Pokemon was throughout my middle and high school years (Generations 1 and 2). I played the card game on some rare occasions thanks to a friend, but I was more into the anime. I watched 3 seasons of the show ending with the tournament that Kaiba set up and where Yugi defeated Marik Ishtar, freeing him from the evil in his soul. I have many favorite monsters from the show such as The Dark Magician, Kuriboh, Flame Swordsman, Blue Eyes White Dragon, Slifer the Sky Dragon, Panther Warrior, Jinzo, Red Archery Girl, Celtic Guardian, Shining Friendship, Fiend Kraken, Gazelle, King of Mythical Beasts, and Big Shield Gardna, Man oh man, I didn't like Kaiba for being such a snobbish creep, though I had a crush on Mai and Tea. I saw myself in both Yugi and Joey. There you go a strong sense of nostalgia.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Yugioh (anime and card game)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 17th, 2022, 10:15 am

A friend of mine was a Yi Gi Oh fan, and he talked me into buying some cards so we could play. That replaced Magic the Gathering for a few years. It was fun and I loved the anime style. I still have those cards... somewhere.

I think I caught an episode or two of the cartoon series, but thought it was just okay.

Return to “Other Media”