Golf on TV

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Golf on TV

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 17th, 2022, 10:17 am

I've got into the habit of watching golf on TV, and I really like it. It's very relaxing - kind of like tennis. Good to take a nap to.

Today is the last day of the British Open (150th) and I couldn't help but notice how dry it is. It looks like they are playing in the desert with balls bouncing on the hard dirt. Is it always like that or is it dryer than normal this year?

jon

Re: Golf on TV

Postby jon » July 17th, 2022, 7:22 pm

I was watching it. I think the British Open usually has bouncy surfaces and St. Andrews. I really wanted Rory to win but he had another near miss. It’s been a while for him. I remember him having the golf video game in his name. Well, he’s not the guy anymore. He probably got the video game I heard because of Tiger’s issues around that time.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » July 18th, 2022, 2:07 pm

Watched the entire Open last week; great fun! Final round was epic.

The "old course" at St. Andrews is known for being quirky and rough looking compared to modern PGA courses. It's 500+ years old; so it doesn't surprise me the grass is brown, etc. Famous quote on it:

“Say! That looks like an old abandoned golf course. What did they call it?” — Sam Snead upon his first sight of St. Andrews. He went on to win in 1946.

My only problem with watching golf is i don't have cable so it's a pain to watch; i only get certain local channels and it's always moving between networks, CBS, NBC, Golf Network, Peakcock, Etc etc. To watch this weekend i had to do a trial of Direct TV Streaming which was terrible and kept glitching when cast to the chromecast on my TV (no xbox app available.).

We might just go to a sports bar for the next major because we are a anti-cable/subscription service group of friends (AKA Cheapskates!) :D

jon

Postby jon » July 18th, 2022, 6:54 pm

I'm having a hard time finding anyone worth rooting for. Tiger's basically done. Rory hasn't won in forever. And it seems like everyone else on tour is just so boring. I don't think there's ever been this few golfers worth rooting for. They seem like they have no personality, just totally distant and aloof. This guy who just won at St. Andrews and Scheffler who won the Masters are just so hard to root for. There needs to be someone new to step up. I mean, think of all the golfers that are either past their prime or aren't winning anymore: Mickelson, Tiger, Sergio Garcia, Rory....etc. Even a guy like David Duval back in the day seemed like a relatable guy. There's no one even remotely close to the appeal of a Tiger or John Daly. There needs to be an everyman to step up or at least Rory come back and win some more majors. Heck, even Jordan Spieth was more interesting than the people out there now.

And think about all the likeable golfers in the 90's even before Tiger. There were too many to even count. I'm sure I'm missing some but in addition to some of the old timers who were still around like Jack Nicklaus, Raymond Floyd, etc., there was Greg Norman (The Shark), Fred Couples, John Daly, Ernie Els, Davis Love III, Tom Lehman, etc. And that's just off the top of my head. I still watch golf, but I'm also a little worried that these courses are too easy. I mean 20 under being the winning score at a British Open kind of seems low.

The U.S. Open has had a few years lately with way too low of scores. The winning score this year was 6 under but there were 9 players under par. I used to love watching the U.S. Open and seeing players try to navigate a brutal golf course. It seemed like most years it was extremely tough to break par, and the winner would be around the +2 to -2 range. But the last few years it's been way too easy. Six under as the winning score every year with multiple golfers close behind is not nearly as challenging as it should be. If they're driving too far, fine. Put the tees back another 30 yards. And also some popular golfers like Sergio Garcia haven't been contending anymore. Phil and Tiger are too old.

Tron

Postby Tron » November 11th, 2022, 1:42 am

jon wrote:I'm having a hard time finding anyone worth rooting for. Tiger's basically done. Rory hasn't won in forever. And it seems like everyone else on tour is just so boring. I don't think there's ever been this few golfers worth rooting for. They seem like they have no personality, just totally distant and aloof. This guy who just won at St. Andrews and Scheffler who won the Masters are just so hard to root for. There needs to be someone new to step up. I mean, think of all the golfers that are either past their prime or aren't winning anymore: Mickelson, Tiger, Sergio Garcia, Rory....etc. Even a guy like David Duval back in the day seemed like a relatable guy. There's no one even remotely close to the appeal of a Tiger or John Daly. There needs to be an everyman to step up or at least Rory come back and win some more majors. Heck, even Jordan Spieth was more interesting than the people out there now.

And think about all the likeable golfers in the 90's even before Tiger. There were too many to even count. I'm sure I'm missing some but in addition to some of the old timers who were still around like Jack Nicklaus, Raymond Floyd, etc., there was Greg Norman (The Shark), Fred Couples, John Daly, Ernie Els, Davis Love III, Tom Lehman, etc. And that's just off the top of my head. I still watch golf, but I'm also a little worried that these courses are too easy. I mean 20 under being the winning score at a British Open kind of seems low.

The U.S. Open has had a few years lately with way too low of scores. The winning score this year was 6 under but there were 9 players under par. I used to love watching the U.S. Open and seeing players try to navigate a brutal golf course. It seemed like most years it was extremely tough to break par, and the winner would be around the +2 to -2 range. But the last few years it's been way too easy. Six under as the winning score every year with multiple golfers close behind is not nearly as challenging as it should be. If they're driving too far, fine. Put the tees back another 30 yards. And also some popular golfers like Sergio Garcia haven't been contending anymore. Phil and Tiger are too old.

It’s not just golf. It’s everywhere! Mimics & basics galore.the PC & WORD police have made everyone dull. Heck I used to like going to the grocery store just to see some pretty ladies. Now all the Karens repulse me.

I like watching golf sometimes. I haven’t watched much in the past couple years, but there were some nice lookin ladies I recall. A couple of blondes I think. You mentioned some not only great golfers, but great personalities as well, but you forgot my absolute fave, other than Daly, & that’s Payne Stewart. That guy had style & flair.

jon

Postby jon » November 15th, 2022, 6:23 pm

Definitely. Payne Stewart. I actually thinking back to that post, realized I didn't mention him. I believe he had a few majors and who could forget that long putt to beat Phil by 1 stroke at the U.S. Open and then he told Phil that he should be very happy too bc he had just became a father. Sadly, the terrible accident that cost him his life wasn't far away.

jon

Postby jon » March 2nd, 2023, 7:20 pm

I've been watching the Arnold Palmer Invitational today, and since it's the first round you see all the likeable players before they probably mess up like they've been doing. So today was a lot of coverage for fan favorites like Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth, and players like Ricky Fowler. It was fun. Unfortunately reality will sink in and it'll be all the boring golfers Sunday afternoon. But it's been fun. I was reading that people think McIlroy hasn't won a major since 2014 because of the weight of expectations. Whatever the reason, it's really ruined golf him being MIA. But this course appears to be relatively difficult. Besides Rahm at -7, it's a bunch of golfers at -5. That's been my biggest gripe is courses being too easy. Last week the winning score was like -17 with a bunch close behind. And the U.S. Open the last few years has been too easy. The most fun watching golf is those tough U.S Open's.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2023, 8:17 pm

Love watching golf in the Spring, and really looking forward to the US Open at Augusta! Beautiful course.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 2nd, 2023, 8:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Love watching golf in the Spring, and really looking forward to the US Open at Augusta! Beautiful course.

I think you mean The Masters...

Augusta is the one professional course I want to go see a PGA tournament at. It always looks so gorgeous, especially as I'm just coming out of winter in Minnesota.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » March 3rd, 2023, 10:11 am

I used to watch and play golf all the time growing up in western PA. I had a paper route from 9-11 years old (once a week delivery) and from 12-18 it was 6 days a week, so I always had extra cash. Golf was super cheap where I lived, with some 9 hole courses being $5 and the nicer courses $7-9. And growing up I really liked watching golf in the winter when it was freezing outside. I’d imagine what it must be like to play golf in 75 degree weather in January.

jon wrote:Definitely. Payne Stewart. I actually thinking back to that post, realized I didn't mention him. I believe he had a few majors and who could forget that long putt to beat Phil by 1 stroke at the U.S. Open and then he told Phil that he should be very happy too bc he had just became a father. Sadly, the terrible accident that cost him his life wasn't far away.

I remember this vividly. I was working in Japan at the time, and had a one week assignment at Toyota in Toyota City, Aichi prefecture. It was a beautiful campus. I opened up the Japan Times one morning and read about Payne Stewart’s passing. The Toyota employees knew of him and we were all shocked and saddened.

Return to “Other Media”