AC/DC vs Van Halen

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
matmico399

AC/DC vs Van Halen

Postby matmico399 » August 13th, 2022, 9:12 pm

I mainly grew up in the 80's. Both bands were instrumental in my growing up. And I've recently thought about which is better. David Lee Roth sang for six albums as a lead vocalist. I thought the first four were excellent. five was just a bunch of covers. Sixth was their most popular but I wasn't a big fan as it was too "poppy" for me but it did have a few good songs. I pretty much quit listening when Hagar came along.

Ac/DC Huge success in the 80's. Had a drought until the early 90's. Their most underrated album was Power Age. It didn't have any singles but if you are interested it's one of their best. Highway is still my favorite. The only original member is Angus. All the others retired or died. Their legacy is beyond amazing and still make great records to this day.

My pick AC/DC

Nevermind

Re: AC/DC vs Van Halen

Postby Nevermind » August 16th, 2022, 8:58 am

Think Van Halen offers more variety, innovation and nuance, and I love the delivery of David Lee Roth; however, I can’t think of many AC/DC tracks I would skip on an album. I’d give it to AC/DC marginally.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 16th, 2022, 7:33 pm

This choice is like an unmovable object against and irresistible force! I'd say in terms of overall catalog they probably have a similar amount of great material. Van Halen burned brightly in the 80's, but AC/DC is still together. Their last album Power Up (2021) was surprisingly good. So I guess it's like the tortoise and the hare.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 17th, 2022, 8:28 am

the Bon Scott era of AC/DC was amazing. A touch too much is such a great song. As the poster suggests Powerage is a fantastic album. I have never seen ACDC.
Van Halen was never much cop but then the vocalist of Montrose joined them. I had been into Hagar for years at that point, seeing him twice during his reign. Street Machine is a fantastic album and so was Standing Hampton. I saw him on both tours and his rhythm guitarist joined Boston. Initially, I was very disappointed when Hagar joined Van Halen, but I got into the 5150 albums. OU812 and for unlawful carnal knowledge are classics as is the last album balance. I saw them live on the Right here right now tour. They were the most boring band I think I have seen. More akin to a jazz band all playing long drawn out solos with the only highlight being Hagar's acoustic set.

I would say it would be a draw between the two bands as I cannot make up my mind which I liked more.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 17th, 2022, 10:15 am

I love AC/DC to death, but I have to give the nod to Van Halen. There's just far more variety in their music and Eddie outdid every AC/DC guitarist in every category, period.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » August 17th, 2022, 12:51 pm

So much respect for both bands but if I had to only keep 1, it would be Van Halen - just because of Eddie. I saw VH in Detroit when I was 14 and bought a guitar the following week. I've been playing ever since

That said, I'm happy to see how much Wolfgang Van Halen is influenced by AC/DC (he adored Malcolm) and hearing all the stories about EVH loving AC/DC and playing it all the time for WVH when he was little - especially Powerage

Props to BlasteroidAli for liking early Sammy Hagar as much as I do

bluenote

Postby bluenote » August 17th, 2022, 1:13 pm

Robotrek wrote:I love AC/DC to death, but I have to give the nod to Van Halen. There's just far more variety in their music and Eddie outdid every AC/DC guitarist in every category, period.

Will have to disagree with this. (the guitarist comment) While Eddie Van Halen was a much superior technical guitar player than anyone in AC/DC (Malcolm and Angus), no one could write a catchy riff like Malcolm and Angus. The rhythm playing of Malcolm has few equals.

Yes, the riffs are simple, blues based stuff, but boy were they catchy.

I much prefer AC/DC, especially the Bon years. I never get sick of them!

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 17th, 2022, 3:09 pm

In my opinion, Van Halen hasn't aged well like many of the 80's hair bands like Motley Crue. However, AC/DC is still enjoyable and feels like legitimate classic rock.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » August 17th, 2022, 7:43 pm

Two very different rock bands in the same kind of market....

AC/DC are the kings of formulaic rock. No question of quality no matter which album you spin. Van Halen, on the other hand, wrote some of the most sophisticated rock of all time. Yeah, often cheesy lyrics courtesy of the bizarre DLR, but there is hardly a guitarist on earth who could touch Eddie's style and technique. His influence made millions of guitar players out there, yet none have surpassed his quality. Yeah, I know there are guys now who can play Eruption one-handed behind their back while juggling flaming chainsaws blind-folded in the other hand............but they didn't create the vast amount of amazing aural delights that Eddie did. And let's not forget Alex, a rock solid drummer who kept it all apace without ever stealing the show, and Michael Anthony, who never gets nearly the credit for his contributions (who do you think does all the high harmonies???). And personally, Hagar is head and shoulders above Roth in terms of capabilities. He plays guitar and already had an impressive resume prior to VH. Oh, and he actually knows how to sing, not just yodel and talk relatively in key. Hagar made the band a lot more mature and deep. Go with Roth if you want fun, light-hearted sillyness.

All that said, I don't think I could pick one over the other. The only wrong AC/DC ever did was having that douche Axl Rose ''sing'' for them, and I don't care what anyone says, VHIII is a fine album in its own right.

Return to “Other Media”