US Open 2022

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

US Open 2022

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2022, 10:40 pm

Just finished watching Ajla Tomljanović beat Serena Williams, and it was probably the best women's match I have ever seen. I was rooting AGAINST Serena, because Ajla is super hot, but Serena was gracious in the post game interview.

I'm wondering if Nadal can hold on on the men's side. He's been very shaky thus far.

jon

Re: US Open 2022

Postby jon » September 5th, 2022, 8:54 am

Once Nadal wins this tournament, the Slam race will basically be over. I don't think 23+ is going to be caught the way things are going. I mean, he's playing the American Tiafoe in a few hours. It would be nice for Nadal to actually have some sort of competition but it isn't going to happen. Nadal has been pushed to a 4th set twice, destroying the competition in those 4th sets at 1 and 3. I don't know where things are headed as far as the draw, but with Zverev still hurt, it should be a lot easier for Nadal. I just checked the remaining players, and none of them are that great. Medvedev got upset by Kyrgios so it would be Kyrgios against Nadal in the final I'd think. Besides Nadal, it's a soft remaining draw. What I want to know is what happened to Thiem. I wasn't a fan but he was good. He won the U.S. Open 2 years ago and then disappeared. But things like that can happen sometimes. A guy will make a ton of money and then just go into semi retirement. Maybe Thiem doesn't want to have to train as hard as needed. He won around $30 million and the U.S. Open.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 5th, 2022, 11:23 am

Well, Nick Kyrgios is in full-on BEAST MODE after beating Medvedev last night with extreme prejudice.

He even hit a shot while standing on the OTHER SIDE OF THE NET (ruled illegal)
https://wwos.nine.com.au/tennis/us-open ... b9d4018a93

If Kyrgios keeps his head together (a big if) I don't see Nadal stopping him. But of course with Kyrgios it only takes one tirade to let a match get away.

Still liking Ajla Tomljanović on the lady's side. She's got nerves of steel!

jon

Postby jon » September 5th, 2022, 1:41 pm

I just watched the clip and a funny comment was he's the Happy Gilmore of tennis. I never thought I'd be guilty at my age of listening to what some old timer contingent in the tennis media said. It's been vicious. But this guy Kyrgios is just what tennis needs. But it still needs more. What's funny is that as the big 3 era is seemingly winding down (make no mistake, I wouldn't be shocked if somehow Nadal played until he was well in his 40's) it's harder and harder to figure out who's going to be the next big thing. I mean, everyone's career for the NextGen are kind of winding down now too. And it's Thiem and Medvedev at 1 major each. That's all of the majors by the guys from the younger generation. Because no one not in the big 3 at this point has been consistent at all, especially now. It looks now like it'll be Nadal and Kyrgios in the final. For tennis, I hope Kyrgios wins or at least takes it to 5 sets.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 5th, 2022, 7:42 pm

Happy that Tiafoe is finally getting his chance to shine. I have not been impressed with Nadal in this tournament and am not surprised he bowed out.

I don't think anybody's beating Kyrgios however.

jon

Postby jon » September 6th, 2022, 8:36 am

Wow. This I did not see happening. Usually what I'll do for a match that shouldn't necessarily be that close is I'll check out the score online about an hour in to see if it's close. I didn't even "waste" my time last night. I definitely missed what must have been a great match. I pegged Tiafoe as someone with more athleticism than anyone on tour but without the consistency whenever he brought his game, which wasn't nearly enough. I can't believe he's only 24. It seems like he's literally been around forever. I've known he was the next American in waiting but it seems like he's been on tour for like 8 years or so. I wonder if at some point the big 3 will get to the point of no return where they just aren't great enough anymore. This is probably not that point because Djokovic just won Wimbledon and Nadal Australia and the French. But, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what the new pecking order will look like. Can Kyrgios win 5-10 majors, and fulfill his potential? All he needs is a couple majors and he's ahead of everyone else after the big 3. Can Tiafoe possibly win?

None of those guys after the big 3 generation got the majors. At the very least it was expected that Medvedev, Zverev, and Thiem would have around 10+ majors combined by this point. Instead none of them have more than 1, and Zverev doesn't have any. Zverev's story is funny because if he doesn't win in Australia he'll be 26 with no majors. And the probability of Zverev winning the Australian Open after that injury he suffered is probably next to nothing. Zverev with all that talent's probably going to be 26 without a major. That's unbelievable. When he choked the U.S. Open Final against Thiem, I don't think anyone thought 3 years later he still wouldn't have a major. And who knows if he'll be fine next year from his injury.

One can say that Stan Wawrinka not winning majors until he was 28 is a good example of what can happen. But Wawrinka if I'm not aware wasn't injury plagued. And Zverev is really tall with that ankle injury. He couldn't even play in the United States this summer and fall because of the injury, and it's been a while since it happened. I'd say with Zverev's talent, to possibly go without a major would be pretty far out. But injuries can take a toll especially ankle problems with someone six foot six.

jon

Postby jon » September 8th, 2022, 8:52 am

I think I've reached the point where even I shouldn't take what I say at face value. I mentioned how I wanted to see what the landscape looked like after the big 3. Well, none of them are in the U.S. Open now. And I'm bored. If the big 3 and Kyrgios (who lost his QF match) aren't involved, I can just picture myself sleeping through tennis season. None of the youngsters won at a grand scale. They're all boring. Man, I sometimes want Nadal to lose. But I have to admit I'm struggling to find reasons to watch the rest of the tournament, especially with Kyrgios not having a shot at his first slam.

Edit: Tiafoe just made the Semi's so maybe that's a reason. If he wins his Semi matchup he'll be the first American male in a Slam final since Roddick in 2009. I know right, it's ridiculous. How about having an American male Slam winner for the first time since 2003. That's 19 years; unbelievable. Off topic, I wouldn't mind being as in shape as Tiafoe physically.

jon

Postby jon » September 10th, 2022, 11:15 am

Oh man was that heartbreaking Tiafoe losing in 5. He was that close to being the first American man in a Slam final since 2009. You wonder if he’ll ever get this kind of chance again. He needs to be more consistent. Oh boy what a disappointment. If he won he was going to play that guy Ruud I think. And he’s beatable in my opinion. It was shaping up like a dream for Tiafoe with no big 3 (although he knocked out Nadal). There was no Zverev or Medvedev. Will Tiafoe ever get a draw this easy this far into a major again is the question. He beat one of the favorites Nadal and there was no one that great left in the Semi’s.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 11th, 2022, 10:35 am

Since I'm Polish I was glad to see Swiatek win yesterday. Three grand slams under her belt at 21? She sure has a bright future.

On the men's side I really like Alcaraz. This is the fastest tennis player I've ever seen. He gets to everything. I think he's the new Nadal.

I want to say the torch as finally been passed to a new generation. I guess we'll know for sure next year, when the big three (Nadal, Djokovic, Federer) are back in action. I think it's unfortunate that Djokovic was not allowed in the US Open this year.

jon

Postby jon » September 14th, 2022, 7:30 pm

Just watched a 30 minute replay of the final. It seems the U.S. Open is the only major where you can find expanded highlights of the match. Wimbledon will let us see like a minute or if we're lucky 5. Now I can see why Alcaraz beat Tiafoe. He has the power to go toe to toe with anyone. I've been really upset about Tiafoe. For it to be 14 years come January for an American Male Finalist in a major and 20 years since Roddick won the U.S. Open is just so unfortunate. And Tiafoe would've been an amazing story if he won. Hopefully he gets 1 but the road won't be easy.

Return to “Other Media”