War Gods (retrospective)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

War Gods (retrospective)

Postby Zack Burner » June 22nd, 2021, 10:28 am

Time now for a retrospective of a lame game that at least has some interest that has earned it a bit of a cult following. First things first, a little history....This game was created to test out some new technology by the late Midway in order to pinpoint weaknesses in the process, they took it a little easy for sure and it shows. The fighting area is too dinky to make an impact, though at least the environments are interesting all around. The music won't grab your attention like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter did. Probably the biggest area of issue is the gameplay, yes, it's pretty off, you'd be lucky if you'd pull off a special move or the hard to execute fatalities, which I have yet to successfully pull off, though thanks to Youtube, I was able to see them for now. As for the characters, the critic is right their part of the problem as well, though I do have a soft spot for some of them:

Anubis - based of a real Egyptian god, his attacks are cool, looks aesthetically pleasing as well, though his fatality is silly: Summons a coffin on his opponent, some blood, it opens to reveal the opponent is all wrapped up.

Kabuki Jo - Even with the bushy red hair he looks like a badass, my personal favorite, with flame breathing and sword slicing. His fatality is a sick one, impaling them on a pole

Tak - poor man's version of Marvel Comic's Thing, though his attacks are cool with a backbreaker, and rock throwing. His fatality is one of the best, pounds them into the ground then kicks their head clean off!

Vallah - my 2nd favorite, a viking lady in a chainmail bikini with some nice abs (although for an ice goddess the costume's implausible), the attacks are cool. Her fatality is a B grade one, throws them onto a bed, ignites it in flames, reducing the foe to ashes.

Voodoo - another character that's visually appealing even the critic has a soft spot for, his attacks are creepy cool, and his finisher is another great one: pulls out a voodoo doll of the opponent, scratches the belly region, and the intestines come out of the opponent.

The other characters are either bland, or uninspired though the fatalities of the rest are of interest:

Ahau Khan - pushes opponent onto altar, takes out their heart, takes a bite, then holds it aloft.

Cy-5 - types in a combo on his wrist, summoning a UFO, which then melts the opponent into goo, then teleports away

Maximus - summons two pillars, takes out a sword, then cuts the opponent in half

Pagan - pulls out the head of Medusa, turns them to stone, and then destroys them with laser eyes (on Tak you get something funny, he taunts the head and then gets blasted)

Warhead - radio calls and then a nuclear strike happens, no gore though.

On single player, there are two bosses which both define cheezy, the fat slob Grox, and the gold horned alien Exor. Forget the ending it's the same for every character, a single screen holding the prize, with no real story.

At least MK 4 somewhat corrected the errors this game made.

BlasteroidAli

Re: War Gods (retrospective)

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 21st, 2021, 9:40 am

Dreadful game that Midway put out as I remember. Just was no fun but it was a premier game on the n64 as it did not have many beat em ups at the time. I am not tempted to play it again.

MSR1701

Re: War Gods (retrospective)

Postby MSR1701 » November 11th, 2021, 8:59 am

War Gods was Midway dipping into the 3D Fighting game transition that the industry was going thru at the time, and served as a testing ground before they worked and released a 3D MK game. Like many other 2D to 3D efforts in the video game industry, though...

Return to “Reader Reviews”