Xbox 360 The Evil Within

The readers post their own reviews.
matmico399

Xbox 360 The Evil Within

Postby matmico399 » May 30th, 2023, 3:53 pm

What potential. What potential this game had. I recently got this and I read the storyline was just about everything I wanted it to be. Survival horror, action, good suspense. When I fired it up the first time I got super pumped going part way though the first level. This is going to be great. Then reality set in.

After getting through three levels I gave up. Too much work with little satisfaction. Technically the game is unique, the storyline frightening and the art direction is superb.

So what's the deal? Two main things. The game is simply too hard and there just isn't much fun to be had. Let me add there is almost NO ammo in a game where you constantly need it. Notice the word almost. You can pick up a single bullet here and there and maybe score three bullets at once. Considering you are always outnumbered x10, WTH? I don't mind games where there are plenty of hard enemies, but dammit give me my ammo!

As regards to the difficulty I will just leave it as it ranks up there with the arcade version of Defender and the NES version of Burger Time. In other words almost no chance in hell. After I bought the game I read a review of a game critic and pro gamer. She said she died 216 times when completing it. She did well. I think I died about 150 times in the first three levels. This game is hard as nails and constantly loves to remind you every time your blood hits the screen with a splat.

Fun factor? The first level I found entertaining and that was it. The constant stress, and lack of any reasonable firearms turns this into a sludge fest of the greatest degree. What "action" there is to be had is scrambling for a single bullet that has to kill three zombies to escape for another breath of air. I don't find that enjoyable or worth your time. D-

BlasteroidAli

Re: Xbox 360 The Evil Within

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 31st, 2023, 8:20 pm

A great review. I have it on Xbox 1. It comes with a manual and a swanky note book type thing. Then you play the game. It looks so beautiful. I was convinced I was going to have the best time with it. The music is great also, with so many amazing touches. It is just such a shame the game is so hard. The Evil within 2 is a lot easier but it is not the same game. The first one was so claustrophobic, the second one is open world.
Though I am at Chapter 5 I agree. It is too hard. I just had a look at it on Xcloud. Great looking game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Xbox 360 The Evil Within

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 1st, 2023, 7:11 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:A great review. I have it on Xbox 1. It comes with a manual and a swanky note book type thing.

Wait WHAT? There is actually a manual that comes in that thin green plastic case??

Return to “Reader Reviews”