Punch-Out!!! (Arcade)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Punch-Out!!! (Arcade)

Postby Zack Burner » December 27th, 2019, 8:10 am

Time to go back to what I do best: Arcade reviews! Back to the past again with the one that started it all the arcade version. Released in 1984, you square off against 6 colorful opponents each bringing something different to the table. You have Glass Joe, Piston Hurricane, Bald Bull, Kid Quick, Pizza Pasta, and Mr. Sandman. Kid Quick and Pizza Pasta got lost in time, though the latter got reincarnated as Aran Ryan in later instalments and has the same fighting style and signature attack the grab and punch. Like the Super Punch-Out SNES game, you have a meter that builds up as you land blows and decreases as you take damage. Once it reaches full you now have access to KO punches Uppercut and Right Hook. The true fun however is the telegraphing of the moves of your opponent such as landing a body blow when Bald Bull attempts his Bull Charge attack. When you beat the game, the difficulty increases, even Glass Joe can be a bit of a nightmare! If there's any fault with this game I'd say it would be the choppy sound, but what do you expect of an 80's arcade game? Other than that, this one's worth checking out if you;re a fan of the Punch-Out series.

bigfriendly

Re: Punch-Out!!! (Arcade)

Postby bigfriendly » December 8th, 2023, 1:43 pm

Arcade Punch Out was a blast to play. For the longest time I couldn't get past Bald Bull but one day I was watching a guy that could beat every fighter and he told me about the special moves each one had. I think I eventually got to the Sandman but I didn't beat him. Still getting that far in the game made the single token price well worth it. Great times at the arcade back in the glorious 80s.

Tron

Postby Tron » December 13th, 2023, 3:35 am

Dude how are you able to review this unless….gasp… you own it? I’ve only seen this game a couple of times in my life & unfortunately the last time was probably when I was 8 years old. Actually I did see a machine about 10 years ago, but it was broken. Anyhow I want to invite myself over to your house. Let me know when’s a good time for you. Hopefully you’re not too far away from me. If you are you’ll have to send me a plane ticket. Don’t worry I don’t need first class or anything fancy.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » December 26th, 2023, 6:07 pm

Tron, you can download the arcade games on Switch.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 27th, 2023, 12:36 am

He could also emulate it with MAME. It's very easy to play old arcade games in 2023 without owning the cabinets themselves. But it's all moot because Zack Burner has mentioned before that his arcade game "reviews" are based on watching YouTube videos instead of actually playing the games.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 27th, 2023, 9:07 am

Not so moot anymore when I recently found this:

https://www.retrogames.cc/arcade-games/ ... rev-a.html

Yes you can play this game online.

Tron

Postby Tron » December 27th, 2023, 10:52 am

I rescind my invitation to your house Zack. You’re not the kind of gamer I thought you were.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » December 27th, 2023, 6:22 pm

Tron wrote:I rescind my invitation to your house Zack. You’re not the kind of gamer I thought you were.

Hey, nothing wrong with emulating, especially with how expensive retro gaming has gotten.

It is a good idea to actually play a game before reviewing it though, because while YouTube videos can be very informative, they don't actually prepare you for how a game feels.

But anyways, I thought this was a good review! Short, sweet, to the point, you answered the question "is it worth playing?"

I've always wanted to play the arcade Punch-Out games

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » December 28th, 2023, 6:03 pm

Well I've made it to Bald Bull, the controls take some getting used to in fact you have to set your punch height believe it or not, high for rights and lefts, low for body blows and when you reach special keep it up for right hooks, down low for uppercuts. I was able to floor the Bull with one body blow during the Bull Charge attack, I'll keep at it till I get him good.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » December 29th, 2023, 12:12 am

Honestly, I can't really get into this game. I can appreciate it for what it is, and if it weren't for this game, later games like Mike Tyson's Punch Out and Super Punch Out would not exist. But I also think that both games are way way better, and after many years of playing those two with their tight responsive controls and smooth as butter gameplay, this one feels rather stiff and choppy in comparison. It's not the worst boxing game in the world, though. That dubious honor goes to the NES port of Ring King imho. But with that said, I doubt that i'll be revisiting this one anytime soon....

Return to “Reader Reviews”