Deceive Inc (PS5)

The readers post their own reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Deceive Inc (PS5)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 1st, 2024, 8:58 pm

I'm not a huge multiplayer gamer. I prefer a good story, a fun world to explore, and engaging gameplay mechanics to sink my teeth into. Plus, when I do go online, the fun is usually ruined by people who play the game obsessively, making for a very unwelcoming environment for new players who can't learn the game because they're constantly being destroyed. But there was one myltiplayer game that really caught my attention back in 2010. It was Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and I can't even tell you how many hours I spent playing it.

The concept was simple, but unique. You were dropped into a medium sized map along with hundreds of NPCs, and given assigned another player as your assassination target. There were multiple skins you could dress your guy in, and all the NPCs were wearing those same skins, so at a glance there was no way to tell a player from an NPC. Your only clues were what skin they were wearing, and a compass pointing in their general direction. Your goal was to suss out your target while also not being noticed by the player hunting you. This led to everyone doing their best to pretend to be an NPC while watching out for any obvious non-npc behavior going on around them. If you were any good, you could identify your target, walk right up to them, and get a kill without them even seeing you until it was too late. If you were spotted, you could use AC's trademark free running mechanics to make a quick and daring getaway. It was a slow paced game, but it was so unique and ridiculously tense. I never even touched the main game, I only owned it for the multiplayer.

I'm explaining all of this because that's what I expected Deceive Inc to be. I had never heard of it before, but it was recently added to PS+ and the description reminded me of ACB, so I had to give it a try. You choose between a selection of spies and crook, each of which have their own abilities. Once in the game, you're immediately given a disguise and a list of objectives to complete, which usually comes down to hacking enough computers to open a door and stealing something before running to the extraction point. Doing anything suspicious, like firing your weapon or taking damage, will make your disguise disappear. You also have to be careful how you behave, since NPCs won't platform on top of obstacles, or stand conspicuously in front of objectives for extended periods of time. You hack computers by collecting data from smaller computers dotted randomly around the map. You start out disguised as a civilian, but will need to change your disguise periodically to get inside buildings where only certain people are allowed, like workers or security guards. And the entire time you're doing this, you have to keep an eye out for other NPCs acting suspiciously non-NPC-ish, because the easiest way to win a match is to identify and kill all the other players.

It sounds awesome, but the developers have absolutely shot themselves in the foot by listening to the wrong criticisms. This could have been an amazing stealth/spy multiplayer game, but after release the devs began making statements about how their game is "a shooter first and a stealth game second." WHAT?! Why would you throw away such an amazing concept to be just another COD? First of all, regardless of how you feel about COD, the combat here is not good enough to rival COD. You move way too slow, which is perfect for a stealth game, but not an action packed shooter. Some weapons are better than others, meaning that playing as a stealth-focused character will always put you at a disadvantage to the combat-centric characters who will always whip out their weapons and start blasting away the moment they even think they've spotted another player. So what, you say? If you're good enough at stealth, you shouldn't be giving them any hints to begin with! WRONG! As soon as someone grabs the final objective, their exact location is broadcasted to everyone else in the game! I haven't had played a single match that didn't end with every single player ganging up on the leader at the extraction point, and then the game devolving into a clumsy shootout to either kill everyone else or claim the objective for themselves.

So what we've got here is a game with really interesting stealth mechanics, and absolutely no incentive to use them. Put simply, Deceive Inc is a massive waste of good potential.

BlasteroidAli

Re: Deceive Inc (PS5)

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 14th, 2024, 3:46 pm

i THINK it is on prime gaming so I might try it to see what it is like

Return to “Reader Reviews”