Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)

The readers post their own reviews.
Koopa W.

Postby Koopa W. » September 6th, 2006, 6:00 pm

[QUOTE=Gentlegamer][QUOTE=Linkdude]Yeah, in case you're wondering. I'm only 14.
[/QUOTE]Ah, you're at the age where you shun anything that seems "kiddie." You'll grow out of it as you mature.
[/QUOTE]

I'm 13, and I absolutely love SSBM, (or any Nintendo-made game), Pac-Man, Katamari (though my homies dig dis 1 azz well ), Lego Star Wars, Pikmin, Centipede, Galaga, and my 2nd fave franchise Pokemon! (DQ is a close 1st). Heck, I even consider Tigger's Hunny Hunt (PS) to be a decent 2D Platformer (I loathe the source material though, and I was given it when I was 7 and just got my 1st console, the PSOne. However, I HATE WINNIE THE (EXPLETIVE)-ING  POO!)

Matt

IronKnux

Postby IronKnux » September 16th, 2006, 1:26 pm

I was playing this game last night with some of my buddies, and I couldn't help but ask them "How can you play this game and actually like it?" It's nothing but moving back and forth and tapping A as fast as you can... I don't get it, how do people consider this such a great game?

a1

Postby a1 » September 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm

[QUOTE=IronKnux]I was playing this game last night with some of my buddies, and I couldn't help but ask them "How can you play this game and actually like it?" It's nothing but moving back and forth and tapping A as fast as you can... I don't get it, how do people consider this such a great game?
[/QUOTE]

If you actually get good at it there is quite a bit of skill involved. No one who just taps A could ever win against a decent player. It is just as hard to be really good at SSBM as it is to be good at Street Fighter 2.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » September 16th, 2006, 4:44 pm

[QUOTE]It is just as hard to be really good at SSBM as it is to be good at Street Fighter 2. [/QUOTE]

LOL Street fighter 2 is a deep and technical fighter where as super smash bros is not.

Conn

Postby Conn » September 17th, 2006, 1:58 am

[QUOTE=Linkdude]Yeah, in case you're wondering. I'm only 14.[/QUOTE]

So am I, and look at [URL=http://kawnhr.livejournal.com/504.html]this review[/URL] I wrote a few weeks ago. It's long, so I wouldn't blame any of you for not reading all (or any) of it, but either way my arguement is still the same. Age has nothing to do with your writing ability.

a1

Postby a1 » September 17th, 2006, 3:38 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

[QUOTE]It is just as hard to be really good at SSBM as it is to be good at Street Fighter 2. [/QUOTE]

LOL Street fighter 2 is a deep and technical fighter where as super smash bros is not.

[/QUOTE]

Uh huh... I was waiting for you to respond to that SSX. SSBM can be very technical, too. There are multiple ways to dodge or block, you can catch items if your timing is right, and each character has its own unique abilites (not counting bonus characters that are different variations of another like Fox and Falco). Smash Bros. just happens to be a game that some people love, and some people hate...and some people think is alright.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » September 17th, 2006, 4:47 am

SSB and SSBM are not skillful.  There are no deep technical skills to these games.

They are nothing more than a poor man's Power Stone.

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » September 17th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Watch some really good Smash Brothers players go at it, and then say that there isn't any skill involved.  If you want to play against anyone who is actually good at the game, you have to know your character's moves and the course you're playing on very well.  I've put many hours into traditional fighting games like Street Fighter 2 and Soul Calibur, and I believe Smash Brothers requires just as much, if not more, skill than those games.  I can't honestly believe that anyone who calls it a simple button masher has played the game for more than a few minutes.

a1

Postby a1 » September 17th, 2006, 11:17 pm

[QUOTE=Johnson73]Watch some really good Smash Brothers players go at it, and then say that there isn't any skill involved.  If you want to play against anyone who is actually good at the game, you have to know your character's moves and the course you're playing on very well.  I've put many hours into traditional fighting games like Street Fighter 2 and Soul Calibur, and I believe Smash Brothers requires just as much, if not more, skill than those games.  I can't honestly believe that anyone who calls it a simple button masher has played the game for more than a few minutes.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I'm glad someone around here has actually played the game long enough to judge it.

a1

Postby a1 » September 17th, 2006, 11:18 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

They are nothing more than a poor man's Power Stone.

[/QUOTE]

Power Stone is more technical than Smash Bros.? I loved Power Stone 2, but that game is button-mashing mania. There isn't even a block button in Power Stone!

Return to “Reader Reviews”