Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)

The readers post their own reviews.
Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » September 2nd, 2006, 6:29 pm

Great. I have a lot of people mad at me for my awful review, and my grade for the game-- a D. This is my last review for you all, since I don't feel like reviewing anymore.

IronKnux

Postby IronKnux » September 3rd, 2006, 12:16 am

Linkdude, it's not that we don't appreciate people's opinions around here... we take all that we can get, it's very interesting to hear what people think about games and genres and the such. But I think I can speak for everyone when I say that if you're reviewing a game, you have to at least put an intelligent point across... provide examples, specifics that can support your idea. Don't just inexplicably throw out a grade and bash on it... or vice versa. Take the critic, for example... even if he gives a game a D or F, he usually incorporates one or two things that the game did right... then what it did wrong, with reasons why  this was wrong.

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » September 3rd, 2006, 11:50 am

Ok here's a list of pros and cons on the game.

Pros:
+ Lots of characters and trophies
+ Classic music in certain levels
+ Huge modes to play in

Cons:
- Some tournament matches can take quite a while (If you have a lot of CPU opponents)
- Pretty cheap opponents on higher difficulties
- DK rap song is annoying sometimes.

The pros are actually major ones, so I'm actually rerating this to a C. If you like multiplayer action on the Gamecube, you really would need this game.

shawn police

Postby shawn police » September 3rd, 2006, 10:17 pm

I think super smash bros are teh suxors but I'm a capcom SNK super fanboy so my opinion is pretty useless on the matter.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » September 4th, 2006, 1:51 am

[QUOTE=shawn police]

I think super smash bros are teh suxors but I'm a capcom SNK super fanboy so my opinion is pretty useless on the matter.

[/QUOTE]

Heh. It probably wouldn't surprise you that I loved SSBM and remains one of my all time cube favorites. (-:

Seriously, I think what might be learned from this thread is what to expect when posting reviews on message boards. Every now and then you hit one where the folks reading the board have strong opinions. And they voice them. I've posted several reviews here, and they pretty much get a couple of comments then they sit.

However, when I wrote my review of "Brain Age" for the DS, it exploded into an interesting debate. I didn't take the other guy's opinions to heart, however (though he didn't really fault my writing style). I just debated with him using the best reasoned arguments I could.

I would suggest that you read your reviews out loud to yourself (actually in a voice you can hear!). I've always found that to be the easiest way to get a nice "flow" to your written words. If it makes you stumble and bumble to say it, it will probably be difficult for the reader as well.

Oh, yeah, I do agree with LinkDude in respect to certain characters having better "save" moves than others (when you fall off a ledge). It isn't terribly balanced... but then again, the game really isn't about Street Fighter esque balanced "perfection."

Chris Marsh

Postby Chris Marsh » September 5th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Link refering to the game as bad because it is too kiddy is dumb. Maybe I should make a review where I give Resident Evil 4 an F- just because zombies get thier arms chopped off.

Linkdude

Postby Linkdude » September 5th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Did anyone read the part where I said I rerated the game to a C? I mean come on... Everyone hates me for giving this game a low grade.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » September 5th, 2006, 11:29 pm

[QUOTE=Linkdude]Yeah, in case you're wondering. I'm only 14.
[/QUOTE]Ah, you're at the age where you shun anything that seems "kiddie." You'll grow out of it as you mature.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 6th, 2006, 8:57 am

[QUOTE=Linkdude]Did anyone read the part where I said I rerated the game to a C? I mean come on... Everyone hates me for giving this game a low grade.
[/QUOTE]

Linkdude, no one hates you.  Everyone's just giving you feedback based on your review.  So, you've got two options.

1) Get uptight about it.

2) Read the feedback and listen in an objective manner.  Doing so will help you become a better writer.  Explaining your perspective on the matter in an articulate manner will improve your future reviews.  Keep at it.  Your writing style will improve.  However, tastes are a different matter entirely

Scott

Postby Scott » September 6th, 2006, 5:26 pm

[QUOTE=Linkdude] Everyone hates me for giving this game a low grade.
[/QUOTE]
I don't hate you. I think it's overrated too. I mean, yeah it's great that it has all the characters from many Nintendo series and it's loaded with nostalgia stuff, but the gameplay isn't all that wonderful. But clearly we're in the minority. Oh well.

Return to “Reader Reviews”