Star Fox: Command DS Review

The readers post their own reviews.
feilong801

Postby feilong801 » September 24th, 2006, 1:45 am

Mario. Zelda. Metroid. These represent the A level Nintendo franchises.

Then there are the second tier titles. Kirby, Wario, Yoshi, Pikmin, that guy from Kung-Fu...

And then there's Star Fox.

Scratching the surface of true stardom, Fox McCloud often falls just shy of Mario and Link in the pantheon. Does Star Fox: Command propel him to new heights?

No.

Does it give DS owners a sweet space shooter with tremendous replay value?

Thankfully, Yes.

This DS title returns to the Star Fox of old. Blast everything that moves. Fortunately, it also removes the "rail" aspect of the old Fox, as each battle is free-roaming. The "command" aspect refers to some very mild turn based stratagy that precedes the battles. It isn't terribly difficult and doesn't get in the way of the blasting.

So what is keeping this Fox from going to new heights, despite a solid effort? Namely, the silly arsed plot. Granted, this has always been a kid friendly series. But Star Fox often falls into the category of a ridiculous Saturday Morning cartoon. This, by the way, underscores the brilliance of Miyamoto's Mario and Zelda. They are kid friendly, yet they do not feel "immature." They transcend the age group they are intended for, which Star Fox has never done, and does not do here.

But that doesn't mean this isn't a crazy fun game. Especially with its robust mulitplayer. With single cart, multicart, and wi-fi all supported, you'll be cruisin' in your arwing for many hours after you complete the single player quest.

Final Summation: Fun, arcade action and great multiplayer more than make up for the kiddie plot and somewhat annoying squawks that emulate talking. B+.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » September 24th, 2006, 2:03 am

[QUOTE=feilong80]

But Star Fox often falls into the category of a ridiculous Saturday Morning cartoon.

[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that because when I was kid growing up I always compared the Star Fox games to a Saturday morning cartoon called, Buckey O Hare. 

Anyways...great review.  Your description seemed to match the final grade perfectly and as a Star Fox fan on the fence, it might just put me over the edge.  Also it was perfect in length as well. 

Honestly, I don't think Star Fox has the gameplay to reach the upper echelon of Nintendo's franchises.  When you boil it down to its core, Star Fox is a simple shooter.  When they try to evolve the series, people don't like it or it just plain doesn't work.  I'm just glad they keep the series alive with new efforts, maybe one day the will deliever another Blockbuster (the only previous Blockbuster being Star Fox 64).

a1

Postby a1 » September 24th, 2006, 2:53 am

How dare you call Kirby second-tier!

Seriously though. Good review. It's nice to see a decent Star Fox game again. I haven't touched my DS since I beat New Super Mario Bros. I think I'll have to buy this and change that.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » September 24th, 2006, 9:05 am

Yep, I think you're right- Star Fox "is what it is," doubt it'll reach many new heights, but that's Okay. They are usually fun games when they stick to a basic formula.

Anyone remember the Star Fox comic in Nintendo Power back in the day? I seem to remember the story being pretty decent. Something about flying into a black hole, I think.

-Rob

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » September 28th, 2006, 2:27 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven][QUOTE=feilong80]

But Star Fox often falls into the category of a ridiculous Saturday Morning cartoon.

[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that because when I was kid growing up I always compared the Star Fox games to a Saturday morning cartoon called, Buckey O Hare. 

[/QUOTE]
Mutants and aliens and toads beware.  If you're looking for adventure, this is it, with Jenny, Deadeye, Blinky, and Willy the Wit.  That's how the song goes IIRC. 

That show had the best toys ever.  I had Deadeye duck and trust me, the four armed, four gun toting , eye patch wearing, insane freak duck beat up every Ninja turtle I had all the time.  I was really sad a few years ago when I found out he'd gone missing at some point.  I sold most of my old toys (including Snake Mountain--IDIOT), but that one I tried to hang onto.

Star fox I have no good memories of.  I always thought it blew, but I've heard so much good about this new version that I think I'll give it a whirl

Return to “Reader Reviews”