PS2-Activision Anthology

The readers post their own reviews.
CharlieR

Re: PS2-Activision Anthology

Postby CharlieR » December 26th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Played this game a lot over the holiday, some of the best Atari 2600 games on one disc! Stampede is a fun game. Some games I did have to look up how to play.

About the challenges to unlock commercials, iron on patches, and game modes, they are tough. I do wonder if the critic thinks these challenges are easy, as he seems like the type of guy who has been playing these games for years. I've unlocked a few commercials, iron on patches, and game modes, but yeah, they are pretty tough I think.

Sut

Postby Sut » December 26th, 2017, 5:18 pm

CharlieR wrote:Played this game a lot over the holiday, some of the best Atari 2600 games on one disc! Stampede is a fun game. Some games I did have to look up how to play.

About the challenges to unlock commercials, iron on patches, and game modes, they are tough. I do wonder if the critic thinks these challenges are easy, as he seems like the type of guy who has been playing these games for years. I've unlocked a few commercials, iron on patches, and game modes, but yeah, they are pretty tough I think.

I like the challenges they add depth and a sense of ‘completing’ games that are essentially score chasers.
Have you tried the challenges on Atari Anthology ? Very, very tough Missile Command and Gravitar (possibly the hardest game ever) still elude me.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 18th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Anyone had issues with patches unlocking on this ?
I’ve met the requirements for Laser Blast a couple of times but nothing unlocked ? Does it have to be on a set variation or something ?

I mean this games dull anyway without playing it over and over.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 18th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Been a long time, but I only remember buggy patches with Space Shuttle, and the error was in your favor as I recall (Getting a patch when you hadn't actually earned it).

Laser Blast is one of gaming's big missed opportunities. Good concept that's initially fun to play, attractive graphics, and solid audio. And being able to go kamikaze and steer your doomed ufo into the anti-saucer laser that just shot you down was a really nice touch.

But why the heck does the difficulty plateau so quickly at what remains a manageable level? Needs to be more ruthless and challenging. Instead, one can quickly master the game well enough to just keep playing until you get bored, which is never a good hallmark for an arcade style game.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 19th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Atariboy wrote:Laser Blast is one of gaming's big missed opportunities. Good concept that's initially fun to play, attractive graphics, and solid audio. And being able to go kamikaze and steer your doomed ufo into the anti-saucer laser that just shot you down was a really nice touch.

But why the heck does the difficulty plateau so quickly at what remains a manageable level? Needs to be more ruthless and challenging. Instead, one can quickly master the game well enough to just keep playing until you get bored, which is never a good hallmark for an arcade style game.

Completely agree first impressions are very good but it quickly gets dull and tedious. Your write up would make a very good succinct short review.

Return to “Reader Reviews”